Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why don't you do a redraft.

Kind of pointless really. I think we all agree he was a very good pick for his position and would go at least somewhat higher if it were to be done over. Great prospect at 24. Or just plain great prospect.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
I think Tolvanen might have been a slightly better pick.

It is really hard to say and it will also depend upon what kind of player will best help fill out our roster. Big scoring wingers that move well are not easy to find and we already have a number of the more dynamic smaller forwards in our lineup so for us I think we are getting a player who will compliment the speed and quickness that we already have in abundance.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Looks like with guys like Tolvanen and Vesalainen doing well, the rivalry with Nashville will continue to grow. Balance of power may have finally switched to the Preds and Jets in the Central.

Preds will face some cap trouble in a couple of years when Josi is in the last year of his team friendly deal. They will still have PK at $9 mill, RJ at $8 mill, Turris at $6 mill and Forsberg at $6 mill. They will need cheaper players like Tolvanen and other draft picks, as we will.

Scheifele’s deal will be an advantage for us. Likely Ehlers too. Let’s hope Laine’s deal is what we deem team friendly as well.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Looks like with guys like Tolvanen and Vesalainen doing well, the rivalry with Nashville will continue to grow. Balance of power may have finally switched to the Preds and Jets in the Central.

Preds will face some cap trouble in a couple of years when Josi is in the last year of his team friendly deal. They will still have PK at $9 mill, RJ at $8 mill, Turris at $6 mill and Forsberg at $6 mill. They will need cheaper players like Tolvanen and other draft picks, as we will.

Scheifele’s deal will be an advantage for us. Likely Ehlers too. Let’s hope Laine’s deal is what we deem team friendly as well.

Don't forget the cap recapture penalty if and when Shae Weber retires

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Don't forget the cap recapture penalty if and when Shae Weber retires
May impact them, no doubt. Will need to see what Weber does.

They will have questions in goal in a few years too. I like how the Jets are positioned now, and the next few years. Need to sign Laine, Morrissey and Trouba (if possible) to long term deals.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
There's no doubt in my mind: K-Ves to the Moose next season & he could be used as a call-up during the 2nd half of the season. But given how deep the Jets are (especially if they re-sign Stastny) he might have to spend the whole season down. I like the idea of giving him 5-6 games up if he does well in the Moose, though. Would do good for him to see NHL life for just a while.

Anyhow, I see the only limiting factor to his NHL readiness being that the Jets are a tough lineup to crack into. If he would have been drafted by Arizona or Montreal he'd be slotted in their 18-19 2nd line already. :laugh:

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Which Google translates to, the judge is a woody eye. :laugh:

That's literal translation, but gives the idea as woody eye can be thought as a blind man. Although we wouldn't shout "ref is 'woody eye'" in situations like that, more like "*cking 'woody eye' (or clown, idiot, etc), go home, they're trying to play here!" or sth :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think redrafts should be done like 3 years after the draft.
I'm not sure why some think this. There's a frenzy of rankings and mock drafts and then a real draft after prospects' 17-year old season, so what's wrong with re-ranking them after their 18-year old season, when you have a much better read on them than before their draft and on draft day?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm not sure why some think this. There's a frenzy of rankings and mock drafts and then a real draft after prospects' 17-year old season, so what's wrong with re-ranking them after their 18-year old season, when you have a much better read on them than before their draft and on draft day?
I think ranking these players after seeing what they're capable of doing in the NHL (If anything at all) is the proper way to do it. But that's just me, and i do understand why people love doing these rankings.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Anytime is fun for a redraft.

Many redrafts done in prospect forum. Vaselainan still not getting super consensus love.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think ranking these players after seeing what they're capable of doing in the NHL (If anything at all) is the proper way to do it. But that's just me, and i do understand why people love doing these rankings.
I think it's fine to do a ranking after each year or so of competition, as their development tracks up by age and level of competition. Waiting until you see how they do in the NHL really doesn't have much interest in terms of projection. It's just more of an analysis of drafting performance based on hindsight, which isn't the same as projecting young players. In that case, it might be better to wait until 5 or 6 years after the draft. The two are different concepts (i.e. projecting prospects vs. assessing drafting acumen).

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If only EK could use his linemates.
I think it was during the first Karpat vs HIFK game where the guy casting the game said that the biggest difference in Vesalainen's game now compared to early season is the amount of passes he makes to his team mates. It was something ridiculous like he passes the puck 5-6 times more now than he did at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad