Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it was during the first Karpat vs HIFK game where the guy casting the game said that the biggest difference in Vesalainen's game now compared to early season is the amount of passes he makes to his team mates. It was something ridiculous like he passes the puck 5-6 times more now than he did at the beginning.

Kane is one of the most frustrating players in this league.

I saw him plenty on Buffalo, just like with Laine he shouldn't be used as a comparison with Vesalainen.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kane is one of the most frustrating players in this league.

I saw him plenty on Buffalo, just like with Laine he shouldn't be used as a comparison with Vesalainen.
Yes, he doesn't remind me of Kane at all. Your comment just reminded me about that "fact". It has been said before but he reminds me of Rantanen. Just a bit meaner.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
With the way Vesalainen is playing no need to think like that.

If only EK could use his linemates.

I've had eyes on both guys and Tolvanen is a wizard with the puck an excellent skater, who despite the size doesn't get knocked around and who also happens to have a great shot. Vesalainen too is an excellent skater with a great shot with a clear size advantage. Tolvanen has better hockey IQ for what I can tell and has ability to create scoring chances consistently to himself and for others with excellent back checking ability and being able to calculate moves forward (similarly to Aho). If someone thinks he's the better player moving forward today, he just might be right. I would pick Tolvanen ahead as well right now without hesitation. Size however cannot be taught, so it remains a question who will thrive better in the small rinks at the best league in the world.

Agreed, Vesalainen is nothing like Evander Kane. I remember listening the commentators (think it was the last game) of how Kristian's game had changed drastically after the WJCs while before he was not using his line mates correctly and the number of passes being (can't remember the exact figures other than the difference being large) was something like 10 passes to game where now 20 passes a game and this made the difference between Vesalainen at the very early season and Vesalainen today, where it had pretty significant impact to his production. Looks like a real deal and cannot wait to see him play with Laine at some point (hopefully soon).

Reactions: mazmin and DaJackal

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This homerun pick really helps offset the loss of the 2018 1st rounder. And to think the Jets traded down to get him.

I only call him a homerun because the odds of him not being an effective NHL player at this point seem low. Big, fast, skilled, a bit or snarl, versatile, trending upwards, top scorer in men's league, passes the eye test again and again, produced very well internationally...

There's only room for optimism in my opinion.

(It's a really good time to be a Jets fan. Can we extend Chevy indefinitely?)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
With the way Vesalainen is playing no need to think like that.

If only EK could use his linemates.

I wasn’t being serious — just riffing on the previous post. Have spun around three times and thrown salt over my left shoulder. Consider EK9 exorcised from this thread.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've had eyes on both guys and Tolvanen is a wizard with the puck an excellent skater, who despite the size doesn't get knocked around and who also happens to have a great shot. Vesalainen too is an excellent skater with a great shot with a clear size advantage. Tolvanen has better hockey IQ for what I can tell and has ability to create scoring chances consistently to himself and for others with excellent back checking ability and being able to calculate moves forward (similarly to Aho). If someone thinks he's the better player moving forward today, he just might be right. I would pick Tolvanen ahead as well right now without hesitation. Size however cannot be taught, so it remains a question who will thrive better in the small rinks at the best league in the world.

Agreed, Vesalainen is nothing like Evander Kane. I remember listening the commentators (think it was the last game) of how Kristian's game had changed drastically after the WJCs while before he was not using his line mates correctly and the number of passes being (can't remember the exact figures other than the difference being large) was something like 10 passes to game where now 20 passes a game and this made the difference between Vesalainen at the very early season and Vesalainen today, where it had pretty significant impact to his production. Looks like a real deal and cannot wait to see him play with Laine at some point (hopefully soon).

Tolvanen has cooled down a lot from his start and hasn't been as lights out, Vesalainen had a slow start and has been lights out on the 2nd half of his season.
Overall they've had quite similar seasons.

Due to the size, skating, skill trio I don't see the need to change Vesalainen to Tolvanen. Vesalainen is a prospect build for the Jets.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Personally I prefer Vesalainen over Tolvanen. I see Kristian as the more versatile player. There are really no question marks what comes to his play. He does it all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tolvanen has cooled down a lot from his start and hasn't been as lights out, Vesalainen had a slow start and has been lights out on the 2nd half of his season.
Overall they've had quite similar seasons.

Due to the size, skating, skill trio I don't see the need to change Vesalainen to Tolvanen. Vesalainen is a prospect build for the Jets.
Yup. As one of the commentators said in the Detroit game, an opposing team's player or coach said that the Jets have the most imposing combination of size and speed in the NHL. They also have a bunch of players with high-end skill and scoring ability, so it's hard to shut them down. KV looks like he's tailor-made for the Jets. Big, fast, skilled, and he is developing a lethal shot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yup. As one of the commentators said in the Detroit game, an opposing team's player or coach said that the Jets have the most imposing combination of size and speed in the NHL. They also have a bunch of players with high-end skill and scoring ability, so it's hard to shut them down. KV looks like he's tailor-made for the Jets. Big, fast, skilled, and he is developing a lethal shot.

Yeah, Chia wanted to build a tough team in Edmonton, but he forgot the skating& skill. They have bunch of guys who can play tough but only few who can create scoring chances. In the end they are an easy team to match up.
Some teams have been build on skill& speed(Toronto/Pens for example) and they are much tougher to match up against, but those 2 don't have the size part.

Jets have managed to build the team around skill, speed& size, to me that's the goal.

Reactions: mazmin and YWGinYYZ

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can you enlighten me?
I have no idea how it works.
What if Weber retired after the 2018-2019 season?

It actually gets worse the longer he plays. In some ways it's sad because it was Philly who structured the deal that way with the offer sheet. But basically all the cap benefit attributed to the Preds has been locked in. Some suspect that the league will change the rules on this somehow (next CBA) because of how onerous it could become

IMG_0619.jpg

Read more about how it works here if you like.

Weber for Subban could hurt Preds in long run

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think it was during the first Karpat vs HIFK game where the guy casting the game said that the biggest difference in Vesalainen's game now compared to early season is the amount of passes he makes to his team mates. It was something ridiculous like he passes the puck 5-6 times more now than he did at the beginning.
This is pretty much true. In fact last season’s Krisu did definitely remind me at least somehow of Kane, but I’m really happy to admit that he is nowadays passing so much and well, that there’s not much of resemblance to Kane anymore. And that’s definitely a great thing!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
KV may make an expensive forward expendable to help with cap in a couple of years.

Question is who? Connor, Copp, Perreault or maybe even Wheeler (moving Ehlers to right side)?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
KV may make an expensive forward expendable to help with cap in a couple of years.

Question is who? Connor, Copp, Perreault or maybe even Wheeler (moving Ehlers to right side)?
He has not even signed his ELC yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It actually gets worse the longer he plays. In some ways it's sad because it was Philly who structured the deal that way with the offer sheet. But basically all the cap benefit attributed to the Preds has been locked in. Some suspect that the league will change the rules on this somehow (next CBA) because of how onerous it could become

IMG_0619.jpg

Read more about how it works here if you like.

Weber for Subban could hurt Preds in long run

Dumb offer sheet. Dumb match.

Reactions: SLAYER

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Antti Tyrväinen is also the player who starred in the famous Pelicans commercial;

Tyrväinen versus Zamboni

Guy driving the zamboni is former Trashers goalie Pasi Nurminen.

The goofy cartoon pelican logo at the end sort of spoils the macho image though... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad