Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
KV may make an expensive forward expendable to help with cap in a couple of years.

Question is who? Connor, Copp, Perreault or maybe even Wheeler (moving Ehlers to right side)?

It's Perreault, easy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hm? Vesalainen has 6 penalty minutes in 44 games. Not dirty and doesn't take penalties.

Ok that is funny I thought everyone here was referencing the high penalty totals and assigning them to Ves. I should have read the thread a bit more carefully.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Tolvanen has cooled down a lot from his start and hasn't been as lights out, Vesalainen had a slow start and has been lights out on the 2nd half of his season.
Overall they've had quite similar seasons.

Due to the size, skating, skill trio I don't see the need to change Vesalainen to Tolvanen. Vesalainen is a prospect build for the Jets.

I think Tolvanen right now is in a pretty damn good form. Team Finland at Olympics for instance was basically a one player team and Tolvanen was carrying the frigging country on his own shoulders. One 18 year old can only do so much. Think he was on a pace on Lindros old record had they actually made it past the first round, who knows. Eeli also scored two goals today in KHL playoffs. Sure, Vesalainen has been more consistent from WJC until to date, but who's at the better form at the very moment can argued, nevermind who's had the most impressive season so far. If Vesalainen's skills translate perfectly to NHL he could become the more valuable player, but right now I wouldn't be betting against Tolvanen. The kid broke some KHL records this year and that's far more rare than having one of the best D+1 seasons in FEL. Size isn't everything.

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
MP's contract is a steal, no reason to trade him. Connor is the answer I think

No one should be getting traded now, but.

This is a cap World, I've talked about this before but Chia has tought us to value prospect pools& invest in young players. You want to have the minimal amount of risky +30y contracts and you don't trade kids over vets. It's a quick road to cap hell. Especially now that the Jets have given up their 1st rounder the prospect pool& young players become even more important.

Connor can be a huge player for Jets for 10+ years, you don't trade those over 30y+ vets.

I think Tolvanen right now is in a pretty damn good form. Team Finland at Olympics for instance was basically a one player team and Tolvanen was carrying the frigging country on his own shoulders. One 18 year old can only do so much. Think he was on a pace on Lindros old record had they actually made it past the first round, who knows. Eeli also scored two goals today in KHL playoffs. Sure, Vesalainen has been more consistent from WJC until to date, but who's at the better form at the very moment can argued, nevermind who's had the most impressive season so far. If Vesalainen's skills translate perfectly to NHL he could become the more valuable player, but right now I wouldn't be betting against Tolvanen. The kid broke some KHL records this year and that's far more rare than having one of the best D+1 seasons in FEL. Size isn't everything.

He was in form in the Olympics, but he hasn't in KHL(before today of course).

Breaking KHL record is impressive, impressive as hell, but so has Vesalainen been on the 2nd half.
All of our kids stay in Liiga instead of KHL& overall not that many talented u19 players to compare to Tolvanen in KHL, so it's tough to use that against Vesalainen, you know how rare it is for Finnish u19 players go near ppg in Liiga and we have a lot more u19 players to compare to Vesalainens season.

KHL is a better league than Liiga, but Vesalainens ppg is better than Tolvanens. As of right now I see no point in dreaming of Tolvanen over Vesalainen.
One has been better at one point, the other at some point else.

36 points in 49 games on a better league vs 42 points in 47 games, both pro mens leagues.

I've been watching Nash now on the Bruins and is he a tough player to play against, guys with size/skill/speed are the toughest to match up against.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He was in form in the Olympics, but he hasn't in KHL(before today of course).

Breaking KHL record is impressive, impressive as hell, but so has Vesalainen been on the 2nd half.
All of our kids stay in Liiga instead of KHL& overall not that many talented u19 players to compare to Tolvanen in KHL, so it's tough to use that against Vesalainen, you know how rare it is for Finnish u19 players go near ppg in Liiga and we have a lot more u19 players to compare to Vesalainens season.

KHL is a better league than Liiga, but Vesalainens ppg is better than Tolvanens. As of right now I see no point in dreaming of Tolvanen over Vesalainen.
One has been better at one point, the other at some point else.

36 points in 49 games on a better league vs 42 points in 47 games, both pro mens leagues.

I've been watching Nash now on the Bruins and is he a tough player to play against, guys with size/skill/speed are the toughest to match up against.

There are talented players to compare him to like Kuznetsov, Tarasenko and even Kaprizov. It doesn't matter if the player's nationality was Finnish, Swedish or Japanese when playing in KHL, one can only look up to other similarly aged players who had competed in that particular league as opposed to the league in the country the player was born in.

For youngsters spiralling in FEL or SEL and trying to find consistency in their game, it cannot be easy for most of them are still physically fragile compared to the veterans. Don't think you fully comprehend how difficult it must be in the KHL for an 18 year old to maintain his performance day after day. Tolvanen had 18 (I think?) game cold streak without a goal, recovered and broke the record anyway. That in my view is far greater achievement than a close to PPG season at a nordic country. They say it's hard to score in the FEL these days, but I can only wonder just how hard it is for someone that young at much better league.

You will come to some speculative results when trying to hassle with PPGs from various leagues and use them as a projection base for a future NHL career in this case. Why? Because Tolvanen has accomplished something unprecedented while setting up new scoring records in a second hardest league in the world. Are we to assume he will automatically be at least equal or better than Tarasenko? If yes, g'luck to Vesalainen for trying to out best that in the future. Don't think it's as simple and there are plenty of more variables at play than just scoring. It also presents a case where you can't just judge X > Y AINEC or vice versa.

There are going to be plenty of teams dreaming about Tolvanen as some are dreaming about Laine today. Perhaps that will apply to Vesalainen as well in the future. I certainly hope so, while rooting for all Finnish prospects and probably even more so for the ones possibly playing in the Jets looking long term.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Who was the rat who was cross-checking KV? Really, really cheap.

Didn't remember which was the bonehead one, but Juhani seems to have some blackouts too...

His brother is a lot worse:

Antti Tyrväinen

I loved this comment.

He has seemingly had issues finding boundaries, which has resulted in unnecessary penalties.

And it's not like he hasn't been given chances to find those boundaries. Hate to call anyone dumb, but he's really making himself easy to nominate as one...
And that had nothing to do with KV. He seems to have found his place quite nicelynin Kärpät. There's a good chance for Kärpät-Ässät in quarter finals. In that case Kristian will be able to start his off-season schedule early o_O

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Are they any highlights available of Vesalainen where the camera follows him in close up shift by shift or a compilation where theres a spotlight of sorts on him? I don't mind seeing scoring highlights but thats doesn't give me an overall feel of the whole hockey player (I remember being impressed with Devin Setoguchi scoring highlights at one time)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Are they any highlights available of Vesalainen where the camera follows him in close up shift by shift or a compilation where theres a spotlight of sorts on him? I don't mind seeing scoring highlights but thats doesn't give me an overall feel of the whole hockey player (I remember being impressed with Devin Setoguchi scoring highlights at one time)

Zaffeli

Mar 5, 2018
What you say about that ? 2 minutes penalty only. Vesalainen and Tyrvainen.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Crazy talk. Keep the young core over Little, MP, Buff, and Wheels when the cap crunch comes.

Agreed, by the time Vesalinen is ready to break into a key role on the Jets Perrault will be 32 and on the back half of his current deal. Given his spark plug playstyle I have a hard time seeing him hold his effectivness through his mid 30's. By that time Connor should be hitting his prime and much more valuable.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No worries - thanks for the video. What do you think liiga's "dept of player safety" will do? I really have no idea - not sure if it's as brainless as the NHL's version.
This year, they have seemingly been harder on the idiots who violate the rules. A suspension longer than ten games is completely in the cards.

Reactions: Garbox

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Agreed, by the time Vesalinen is ready to break into a key role on the Jets Perrault will be 32 and on the back half of his current deal. Given his spark plug playstyle I have a hard time seeing him hold his effectivness through his mid 30's. By that time Connor should be hitting his prime and much more valuable.
also much more expensive. Wheeler will probably be re-signed. Cant see how Jets can afford having four +6m wingers in Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers and Connor. Something has to give and I sincerely hope it will be on the wings because D and C are more important positions

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
This year, they have seemingly been harder on the idiots who violate the rules. A suspension longer than ten games is completely in the cards.
Yes. First two incidents went through with pretty short bans, but Lamberg got 13 games and incidents after that have also gotten quite steep penalties. And as long as there's some line in those decisions we're heading the right direction.

Zaffeli

Mar 5, 2018
No worries - thanks for the video. What do you think liiga's "dept of player safety" will do? I really have no idea - not sure if it's as brainless as the NHL's version.

I do not know what to expect.
Today we will hear the decision on the matter.

I hope that the penalty is at least 5-10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->