Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Wait, why is Vesalainen working with a skating coach and on the ice every day to improve his skating? I thought Finns improved skating by not skating.
Only Finns with problems with weak and non explosive leg muscles, but already good skating technique. Vesalainen was never having that kind of problems nor that kind of technical strength. He is though in fact quite exceptional with how explosive he is for his size. There is truly that which reminds me of Wheeler. But he is a bit different otherwise, as he is a great shooter, but Wheeler is not. And Wheeler is a better passer on the other hand. But I do like indeed how Vesalainen improved his passing during last season. Truly impressive improvement in his passing and team play.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think there will be a line-up battle between Petan, K-Ves, Dano and Lemieux, assuming Petan and Dano aren't traded. I'd give the edge to Petan at this point. If K-Ves forces his way into the line-up, then Petan and/or Dano will likely be traded. Best option for the Jets will be to start with Petan and give him a good shot. If he plays well, then he is good trade bait when K-Ves is ready.
Say bye bye to Dano already then. He will not have a chance against those other players, unless maybe for a 4th line role. Otherwise definitely not.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Say bye bye to Dano already then. He will not have a chance against those other players, unless maybe for a 4th line role. Otherwise definitely not.
Vesalainen and Lemieux can be sent to the AHL without requiring waivers, so unless they are clearly better than Dano and Petan, they'll likely play in the AHL with Petan and Dano on the roster or in the press box.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Vesalainen and Lemieux can be sent to the AHL without requiring waivers, so unless they are clearly better than Dano and Petan, they'll likely play in the AHL with Petan and Dano on the roster or in the press box.
Petan might be even the most skilled of them, but Vesalainen is anyway quite close to him with his skills. But Petan is that weak physically that I think that Vesalainen is already a pretty much better player than him as a whole. Dano is a clearly worse player than either of them for any other role than maybe a 4th line role, but he is not really an optimal player for the 4th line either. And Lemieux is practically a 4th line energy winger at the moment, probably quite good for that role, but not for much more at least at the moment.

I see it pretty clearly so that Vesalainen would be already the most useful and versatile player of them all. But with his pure skill Petan could be even more useful at the moment. It’s just a very big if, because his physical weaknesses are still that big that he needs a very ideal role with ideal supporting players to be a really useful player. A skilled shooter and a defensive grinding puck hound with some skill would be his ideal linemates. Hmm, there might even be some of those... :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad