At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Which is wild, because our defensemen that aren't in the NHL are pretty promising too. Clarke, Faber, Kirsanov, Grans, and Spence are a great group of defensemen. It's hard to imagine a scenario in which none of them make the NHL. If even two of them make it, we've got a very promising core:

Bjornfot - Clarke
Anderson - Faber

Not to mention, Doughty's still signed for five more seasons.

I think Clarke, Faber and Kirsanov are a lock. I just hope that Kirsanov comes over from Russia.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I see some of you are finally turning the corner on him. Been a fan since his draft year. I have no issues with Kupari as our 3C for many years if he keeps developing and adding that size\speed\skill element we need. Vilardi as his RW would be sweet. We'll probably see it hopefully sometime this year.

I actually am coming at this from the opposite end, I think Kupari is going to be a stud. Badly wish my Rangers had traded for him or will trade for him at some point. But the more he proves his talent at the NHL level, the less likely that becomes. Which is great for Kings of course.

He's a true top 6 talent. I'm not sure playing at 3C long term will be enough for him once/if he actually reaches his ceiling. But honestly, if he gets that far, Danault would make an ideal 3C anyway. Once Kopitar is retired or whatever at least. But sometimes, guys advance to the point where playing them on a 3rd or 4th line is only holding them back from their true ability. If he reaches that level, it's a good problem to have. And again, I don't think Danault HAS to stay on the 2nd line long term. Kupari or whomever would just have to force him out of the 2C position. And I think Kupari has the talent and potential to do just that.

I would say 2 more seasons or so in the bottom 6 and then it might be hard to keep him from moving up the depth chart.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I actually am coming at this from the opposite end, I think Kupari is going to be a stud. Badly wish my Rangers had traded for him or will trade for him at some point. But the more he proves his talent at the NHL level, the less likely that becomes. Which is great for Kings of course.

He's a true top 6 talent. I'm not sure playing at 3C long term will be enough for him once/if he actually reaches his ceiling. But honestly, if he gets that far, Danault would make an ideal 3C anyway. Once Kopitar is retired or whatever at least. But sometimes, guys advance to the point where playing them on a 3rd or 4th line is only holding them back from their true ability. If he reaches that level, it's a good problem to have. And again, I don't think Danault HAS to stay on the 2nd line long term. Kupari or whomever would just have to force him out of the 2C position. And I think Kupari has the talent and potential to do just that.

I would say 2 more seasons or so in the bottom 6 and then it might be hard to keep him from moving up the depth chart.

It's possible, he has all the tools, but I tend to be conservative in projections. And it gets more complex as well, that's why the Danault signing was questioned by some fans.

I still have Byfield and possibly Turcotte\Vilardi in the upper end of the prospect chart for C... but things do change. In Vilardi's case he needs a real 180 turn in his game for him to solidify a top 2C. Moving Vilardi to wing can open a door for Kupari in the top 6 but what happens when Turcotte and Byfield need that ice time? We just need to roll the prospects and see where they land, hard to predict lineups in 2 years. Most of us are already thinking about the logjams that's about to happen with the prospects. If a kid deserves a top 6 role he should get those minutes regardless of who he pushes down...I think we all agree on that.

One thing that won't change is Kopitar and Danault will be in the top 6 for the next 1-2 years. Things will get interesting when Kopi slows down and whether or not he can still play after his contract is up. I don't see how they can manage Kopitar, Byfield, Danault , Kupari ,Turcotte, JAD etc.. at center unless trades happen or some players get shifted over to wing.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He looked very good last night. Assertive, stout defensively, sticking his nose in everything. That's what he will need to do to stick.
I remember when he was labeled by one of the scouting services as "the most purely skilled player of the draft." You saw a glimpse of it last night.

Another example of a skilled player who could have been insulated a bit earlier by playing alongside better talent, but instead was sidled in the struggling "third line", where EVERYONE has struggled, and he was sent back as a result.

Hopefully he continues to improve and sticks.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I remember when he was labeled by one of the scouting services as "the most purely skilled player of the draft." You saw a glimpse of it last night.

Another example of a skilled player who could have been insulated a bit earlier by playing alongside better talent, but instead was sidled in the struggling "third line", where EVERYONE has struggled, and he was sent back as a result.

Hopefully he continues to improve and sticks.
Well, I hope if the third line is only guys with that issue (Kupari, Vilardi, Byfield), the excuse of linemates goes away. Honestly, they looked pretty good last night. Definitely better than the third lines of the past couple months.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We should probably lift Kupari's ceiling above "Kempe-light". I'm not sure I've ever seen Kempe as physical on the forecheck as Kupari was in game 61 against the Predators.

Kempe beat the piss out of Brendan Smith while fluffing his hair with his free hand, I need to see Kupari do it more than once before I elevate him.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think Kupari is showing why we shouldn’t yet be panicking about any of the prospects. He’s clearly working at things and is now starting to put it together, it’s now about consistency. That’s not to say we should ignore the stuggles of various players but it does demonstrate it’s far to early to reach conclusions. Even with Vilardi, because his back issues put him onto a completely different development timeline to everyone else.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
And he's playing on the wing, which is where his future is here if he has one with the Kings. I did like how chippy Kupari was in the game though. Seemed to be chirping quite a bit and not backing down.

Reactions: JeanBlanc

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kid just turned 22 a few weeks ago. He is the total package of speed, power and strength. If he plays a consistent, hard power game, he'll have a nice career.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
For anyone interested in the Kupari coverage to-date since his recall.
From Rasmus Kupari at lakings-graph.com

DateSiteTitle
2022-11-06Pro Hockey RumorsLos Angeles Kings Loan Quinton Byfield To AHL
2022-11-06Hockey RoyaltyTakeaways - LA Kings 5, Panthers 4 – Kings get last laugh
2022-11-06The AthleticLA Kings Rasmus Kupari stepping up in Quinton Byfields absence
2022-11-05LA Daily NewsGabe Vilardis goal lifts Kings past Panthers
2022-11-05LA Kings InsiderFINAL - Kings 5, Panthers 4 - Moore, Vilardi, McLellan - LA Kings Insider
2022-11-05Kings at NHL.comLA Kings Recall Forward Rasmus Kupari From Ontario
2022-11-05Mayors ManorProjected Lineup - LA Kings vs Florida Panthers on Saturday
2022-11-05LA Kings Insider11-5 Preview - Full Team Skate + Striving For Consistency, Ras-matazz- LA Kings Insider
2022-11-04Pro Hockey RumorsRasmus Kupari Loaned To AHL
2022-11-04LA Daily NewsKings find defensive stride as Florida comes to town
2022-11-04Kings at NHL.comLA Kings Loan Forward Rasmus Kupari to Ontario
2022-11-04The Forum ReportPlaymaking Chart - 11-3-22 at CHI
2022-11-04The Forum ReportWaking Up with the Kings - November 4
2022-11-04LA Kings InsiderAngeles Analysis - An Interesting Road Trip - LA Kings Insider
2022-11-01The Forum ReportPlaymaking Chart - 10-31 vs St Louis
2022-11-01The Forum ReportWaking up with the Kings - November 1
2022-11-01LA Kings InsiderAnderson Pairing, The Big 100 - LA Kings Insider
2022-10-31Hockey RoyaltyLA Kings at St. Louis Blues projected lineup, betting preview
2022-10-31Mayors ManorProjected Lineup - LA Kings at St. Louis Blues, Plus Byfield Update
2022-10-31The AthleticHow Kings Gabriel Vilardi finally arrived - ‘I had more to prove this year
2022-10-31The Forum ReportMuzzin, Clifford, Kings reconnect - Byfield “a little bit better” but not with team - Kuparis play away from the puck a good baseline
2022-10-31LA Kings InsiderFINAL - Kings 5, Blues 1 - Grundstrom, McLellan - LA Kings Insider
2022-10-31LA Kings Insider10-31 Preview - Quick Expected + Seeking Consistency, Walkers Comfort, Kuparis Focal Points - LA Kings Insider
2022-10-30Field Level MediaStruggling Blues set to face revived Kings
2022-10-30The Forum ReportWaking up with the Kings - October 30
2022-10-30LA Kings InsiderAngeles Analysis - Up and Down - LA Kings Insider
2022-10-29Pro Hockey RumorsLos Angeles Kings Recall Rasmus Kupari
2022-10-29LA Daily NewsKings goalie Cal Petersen starts in victory over Toronto
2022-10-29Kings at NHL.comLA Kings Recall Forward Rasmus Kupari
2022-10-29Mayors ManorProjected Lineup, Game 10 - LA Kings vs. Toronto Maple Leafs, Kupari Recalled
2022-10-29The Forum ReportLegacy of 2007 class not lost on Simmonds - Clarke sits but has “done a really good job of adapting to the NHL”

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
While everyone seems to like his play since the call up, and I'd agree about him being a little more noticeable on the offensive end, he's made a few gaffes directly leading to goals against. Much more so than last season when he generally played a solid defensive game with not much happening.
I guess that's true for pretty much the whole team, and the fact that he's showing signs on the offensive end is a good thing, but he still has much to learn.
I would still play Byfield over him when QB gets healthy and up to speed. JAD on the other hand...

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
While everyone seems to like his play since the call up, and I'd agree about him being a little more noticeable on the offensive end, he's made a few gaffes directly leading to goals against. Much more so than last season when he generally played a solid defensive game with not much happening.
I guess that's true for pretty much the whole team, and the fact that he's showing signs on the offensive end is a good thing, but he still has much to learn.
Yes, I think that was the exact point that McLellan made with the, "Pros and cons" statement that a bunch of different articles included.
Here it is from Eric Stephens of The Athletic, in LA Kings Rasmus Kupari stepping up in Quinton Byfields absence
Pros and cons. Great to see him score a goal because I think he was a little disappointed that he turned the puck over in the neutral zone. But he continues to check well. He uses his legs real well and provides us some pace. Gets involved in the forecheck. Kevin seems to be finding him now so there’s some chemistry there.

I would still play Byfield over him when QB gets healthy and up to speed. JAD on the other hand...
What an amazing problem to have. Two good, young forwards showing that they both deserve ice time in the top 9, neither of whom are named Kaliyev or Vilardi?!

Last edited:

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
It's possible, he has all the tools, but I tend to be conservative in projections. And it gets more complex as well, that's why the Danault signing was questioned by some fans.

I still have Byfield and possibly Turcotte\Vilardi in the upper end of the prospect chart for C... but things do change. In Vilardi's case he needs a real 180 turn in his game for him to solidify a top 2C. Moving Vilardi to wing can open a door for Kupari in the top 6 but what happens when Turcotte and Byfield need that ice time? We just need to roll the prospects and see where they land, hard to predict lineups in 2 years. Most of us are already thinking about the logjams that's about to happen with the prospects. If a kid deserves a top 6 role he should get those minutes regardless of who he pushes down...I think we all agree on that.

One thing that won't change is Kopitar and Danault will be in the top 6 for the next 1-2 years. Things will get interesting when Kopi slows down and whether or not he can still play after his contract is up. I don't see how they can manage Kopitar, Byfield, Danault , Kupari ,Turcotte, JAD etc.. at center unless trades happen or some players get shifted over to wing.
umm GV has been sucessfully moved to wing last and this season ... and well i dont think we can argue with the results

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think Kupari is showing why we shouldn’t yet be panicking about any of the prospects. He’s clearly working at things and is now starting to put it together, it’s now about consistency. That’s not to say we should ignore the stuggles of various players but it does demonstrate it’s far to early to reach conclusions. Even with Vilardi, because his back issues put him onto a completely different development timeline to everyone else.
Hmmm… this guy is insightful 😉😂

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think it's interesting that they're still playing Kupari at center, but I guess it makes sense given that it's Byfield who's out currently. Kopitar will retire eventually (though I think he's got at least 3 years including this one), and we'll need another center along with Byfield and Danault whenever that happens.

Reactions: Telos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad