Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Predators Select Fyodor Svechkov

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Some update on Svechkov's situation. As most of you probably know, he was traded from SKA to Spartak Moscow. The KHL season is just two weeks away and the training camp and practice matches are well underway.

Svechkov's has dressed for 3 of the 4 practice matches. In the 1st game he was on the 2nd line, and in the 2nd game he was on the 4th line. I don't know which line he was on in the 3rd game,, but he did record two primary assists as Spartak lost 4-7.

I think this bodes well for Svechkov. He is being deployed as a center in Spartak, something he wasn't when playing in SKA. He is on track to get a spot in their KHL team, probably as a bottom-six center, as the top-six center positions are highly competitive with guys like Andrei Loktionov on the team (former NHL'er). Spartak is not a bad team, and if Svechkov can truly nail down a center spot in that group, it would be a great sign of his development.

Anyway, just some update on one of our top prospects. I think ultimately, the trade will help his development as he will get more ice-time as a center.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Eh, just watched the game between Spartak and Admiral. It was their 3rd game of the year, and 1st for Svechkov. He was on the 4th line (mainly on the wing) where he didn't get a lot of ice-time and to be frank, looked a little lost.

It's just a regular thing in the KHL, that they prefer veterans over youngsters especially the ones they think will flock as soon as they can. I don't think that game did Svechkov any favors and wouldn't be surprised if he was a healthy scratch again in the next game.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Eh, just watched the game between Spartak and Admiral. It was their 3rd game of the year, and 1st for Svechkov. He was on the 4th line (mainly on the wing) where he didn't get a lot of ice-time and to be frank, looked a little lost.

It's just a regular thing in the KHL, that they prefer veterans over youngsters especially the ones they think will flock as soon as they can. I don't think that game did Svechkov any favors and wouldn't be surprised if he was a healthy scratch again in the next game.
Any idea when his khl contract is done? We need to get him signed and over here as soon as possible

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Any idea when his khl contract is done? We need to get him signed and over here as soon as possible
It's only for this year, fortunately.

I agree. We need to get him over ASAP, or he at least needs to get to VHL, (the AHL of KHL). Playing 8 minutes a night on a non-natural position will do him no good.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
It's only for this year, fortunately.

I agree. We need to get him over ASAP, or he at least needs to get to VHL, (the AHL of KHL). Playing 8 minutes a night on a non-natural position will do him no good.
He’ll probably just lose this year. KHL is not there to develop players for the NHL whereas the AHL is.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Thank God, they have dropped Svechkov down to their VHL farm team, Khimik. Not sure what line's playing on but he's down there now.

He wasn't getting any good ice-time with Spartak so ultimately, I think this is a good move.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's a fair argument that players at this age get most of their "development" out of working on skills in practices, gaining strength, etc. So games are not always the be-all/end-all in terms of actual development. But it's still nice to have them as a testing ground. One knock on having younger players thrown into a pro environment too soon is that having more games and travel time actually takes away from their development. So it cuts both ways.

But it's definitely easier for us in our armchairs looking for stats to track progress when they play more games! :thumbu:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Damn. That must mean Russia is preparing to declare war on Ukraine.
There is part of me that is hoping that actually results in an overthrow. There are already rumblings that the Russian Military is tired of it. Would be a fitting way to go if Putin did such and the military just said no.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Get this guy on a plane, now.

Doesn’t sound like a very credible report but even if it was true Svechkov wasn’t going to be ready for 2-3yrs anyhow. And there would probably be an application process to get around it. If it was true the ramifications are a lot more serious than the development track of our hockey prospect of course.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so Putins big announcement got cancelled/postponed so there is a bit of breathing room.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It did?

They announced partial mobilization. This doesn’t look good for anybody.
They moved it about 18 hours....

Since Askarov already did his military stint this would mean if he was over there he would be called up. I sure hope his wife is over here with him

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
They moved it about 18 hours....

Since Askarov already did his military stint this would mean if he was over there he would be called up. I sure hope his wife is over here with him
It doesn't necessarily mean that. It's a partial mobilization, which includes 300,000 men and their reserves are counted in millions.

She is. Apparently they are liking it in Nashville. They run a vlog about it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzDzuzhgXaAfQcDoId6n98A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad