Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Predators Select Fyodor Svechkov

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn’t count Tomasino or Glass out on the future 1C role. Svech and Parssinen look like they’ll be filling out the middle 6. There’s also Novak but no clue where he tops out
I'm certainly not "counting them out". I'm just saying the odds aren't in their favor.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I wouldn’t count Tomasino or Glass out on the future 1C role. Svech and Parssinen look like they’ll be filling out the middle 6. There’s also Novak but no clue where he tops out

Novak and Pitlick are both in the who knows category. I think both are scoring centers, that aren't going to be good enough at scoring to stick.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Okay, so I watched three games of Svechkov and Team Russia in the Sochi Hockey Open and here are my notes:

Offense and puck skills
  • Svechkov's not the most dynamic offensive forward, but he is creative at creating chances for his linemates and for himself.
  • As a center, he supported his wingers very well, read the play and kept the play alive in difficult situations.
  • He is really good at protecting the puck, he has a frame that he can still add pounds to. I'd say this is one of his biggest strengths in his game.
  • Because he is good at protecting the puck means he can also bring the puck up the ice and exit and enter zones. His straight-line skating is powerful.
  • Most of his goals are going to come from him going hard to the net, he isn't going to beat goalies much only with his shot.
Defense and positioning
  • Probably his biggest strengths right now as a player is his two-way game and positioning in the defensive zone and in breakouts. In breakouts, he was really good at supporting his defensemen and seemed to always find space where to break out.
  • Strong at the faceoff dot. With age, I think he will become a really crafty at faceoffs.
  • You rarely see this mature play off-the-puck from a teenager against men. His hockey IQ is high.
  • What I liked most about his defensive game was that not only was his body in the right places which limited chances against, but he used his stick also to separate forwards from the puck.
  • I think when he adds some muscle to his body, his defensive game is only going to get better.

Areas of improvement

• Lateral movement and explosiveness in his skating and with the puck. If he can improve these, he can really increase his repertory in the offensive game.
  • His shot. In the three games, I barely saw him really shoot the puck. He was always looking for linemates even in a scoring chance. He needs to be more selfish at times.

All-in-all, I'd say Svechkov is a responsible, two-way center with good playmaking abilities. He can anchor a line with two good offensive wingers and handle the defensive responsibilities. I could see him being a bigger Bo Horvat as his ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad