Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Predators Select Fyodor Svechkov

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Lada Togliatti system forward Fyodor Svechkov split his draft season between the VHL and MHL. Playing against men in the VHL, he put up five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 38 games played. In the Russian junior league, Svechkov was dominant. He scored four goals and 11 assists for 15 points in 15 games. Svechkov was chosen to play on the Russian team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored four goals and six assists for 10 points in seven games. Svechkov helped the Russian team bring home the silver medal. Svechkov will be moving up to the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg next season. He has signed a contract through the 2022-23 season.

In 2019-20 Svechkov put up just two goals and six points in 24 MHL games. He added one goal and three points in two games in the Under-18 league. He was dominant in the U-18 playoffs with eight goals and seven assists for 15 points in nine games. Svechkov also scored six goals and two assists for eight points in six tournament games. He won a gold medal and was named to the tournament all-star team.

Fyodor Svechkov Scouting Report

2021 NHL Draft #32: Fyodor Svechkov Scouting Report

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Definitely like this pick. Sounds like a very solid player, a center who does everything well, one of the guys we've been talking about all along really. I was kind of favoring more of a pure offensive gamble in Sillinger or Coronato, they weren't there, and so as our pick was coming up, Svechkov was definitely a favored choice. "No D, please" was my mantra as the pick was being announced, and I think Svechkov was one of a small number of guys I was going to be very satisfied with.

Won't see him for a while, but let him percolate over there with Askarov, bring them together maybe in 2023, they both can have a familiar face on the team already, that should help too.
:handclap:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Love a kid that is that smart on the ice. Also makes you wonder how much better he can be when he's got teammates who can think the game at the same level.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With the uncertainty around whether or not Tomasino or Glass could actually be NHL centers, the Svechkov pick makes even more sense. Here's what Athletic's Wheeler had to say regarding this:

He’s also one of the only top forward prospects in the draft who is listed at center and I actually expect to stick there (it’s a draft full of centres who will likely switch to the wing).

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
It was mentioned yesterday in the Sportsnet broadcast that Svechkov's already been learning english unlike other Russians of his age, so when he does come over, it should make his transition that much easier.

will have to watch some SKA games next season to keep an eye on both him (if he's on the lineup) and Askarov

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
He is a very fluid player. I really like this selection. There are always inherent risks of the KHL, but the Predators have now taken three high end picks with this risk in the last several years.

This just looks like an NHL caliber player. In a draft with loads of risk and gambles and weak talent, I think this was an excellent selection.

Let's go!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With all due respect, he doesn't remind me of Puljujärvi one bit. For example, in terms of hockey sense, it is not even a close comparison. Puljujärvi is more physical but that's about it.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
One thing I noticed with his stats is that he seems to step it up in the playoffs and that's something we tend not to think about when drafting players. While it's great to have a guy score 30-40 in a season but if he disappears in the playoffs, what good is he? I want a guy to be good/solid in the regular season and a dominant player comes playoff time. It would be even better if they were dominant all the time but I'm ok with the former as opposed to a good player in the regular season that disappears in the playoffs.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
One thing I noticed with his stats is that he seems to step it up in the playoffs and that's something we tend not to think about when drafting players. While it's great to have a guy score 30-40 in a season but if he disappears in the playoffs, what good is he? I want a guy to be good/solid in the regular season and a dominant player comes playoff time. It would be even better if they were dominant all the time but I'm ok with the former as opposed to a good player in the regular season that disappears in the playoffs.
One thing you have to remember is that he’s been playing as an underage player (playing up) since he was 16. By the time the playoffs starts, he’s made a full adjustment, and is likely playing his best hockey.

In years and at tournaments where he plays at his age level, he averages nearly 1.5 points per game.

Hoping that as he grows into his body and with two years of play against men already under his belt, that he will follow the same pattern of building up throughout the season in the KHL and earning his minutes, then developing into a top player his second season (20 yo) before coming over to North America.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wonder what his upside is if that development continues

From what I've read and concluded myself, a very good 2C with 50-60 point potential. He's not the most dynamic skater nor does he have a terrific shot so those are probably his main limitations versus becoming a legit 1C.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think a very high floor, lowish ceiling type. I imagine he's a 4th line center at the low end, likely a 3rd line center, and hopefully a 2nd line guy.

The thing that gives me hope is the idea that he needs guys on his thinking level to succeed. We should find that out as easily as next year if we see a jump.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think a very high floor, lowish ceiling type. I imagine he's a 4th line center at the low end, likely a 3rd line center, and hopefully a 2nd line guy.

The thing that gives me hope is the idea that he needs guys on his thinking level to succeed. We should find that out as easily as next year if we see a jump.
If everything comes together perfectly, a 3rd line C would fit what we'll need. Figure Glass and Tomasino should be the 1C and 2C down the line, so having a guy who can be the 3C in the top 9 wouldn't be bad at all.

It's a pipedream, I know... :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If everything comes together perfectly, a 3rd line C would fit what we'll need. Figure Glass and Tomasino should be the 1C and 2C down the line, so having a guy who can be the 3C in the top 9 wouldn't be bad at all.

It's a pipedream, I know... :laugh:
It sounds like Svechkov and Parssinen are maybe our "real" center prospects. So if it turned out the former was our future 2C and the latter our 3C that would be the limit of my optimism. Getting a true 1c may have to wait for our next draft. But by all means all ye prospects, feel free to surprise me!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It sounds like Svechkov and Parssinen are maybe our "real" center prospects. So if it turned out the former was our future 2C and the latter our 3C that would be the limit of my optimism. Getting a true 1c may have to wait for our next draft. But by all means all ye prospects, feel free to surprise me!
Could be a log jam depending on how long these guys have to stay on the grill before they are ready. Glass should be ready, but who can say if Vegas really did enough to develop him (or literally any of their picks for that matter)? Tomasino seems like he's knocking on the door. Maybe another year for either/both? Svech is the latest 1st rounder, and again who knows? Probably at least 2 development seasons, ala Tolvanen for him. Pärssinen is a longer shot, but he's on the rise. Things look up about 4 years from now, which happens to be when Johansen's contract is up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I wouldn’t count Tomasino or Glass out on the future 1C role. Svech and Parssinen look like they’ll be filling out the middle 6. There’s also Novak but no clue where he tops out

Reactions: Kat Predator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad