Player Discussion: At 18th Overall Blue Jackets Take Liam Foudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I feel pretty good about this pick, I don't think he's there for us in the 2nd round and this is clearly a guy they wanted. I said before this all started, I want us to go for it with this pick and not settle for a safe NHL roster player. The league has shifted to a league of speed and this kid has all the physical tools.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I posted most of my stuff on the draft thread, but I really like what I have seen and read of him. I trust our staff when it comes to drafting. That doesn't mean they will always get the pick right, but they usually do, especially when they make a pick that is unexpected. If they like him this much, then so do I. Also, like I said on the draft thread, he looks to have more skill than the analysts made it seem.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Liam Foudy combine results

Anaerobic Fitness- Wingate test
Peak Power Output 1st
Bench Press (50% of Body weight) 4th
Vertical Jump 1st
Squat Jump 2nd
No Arm Jump 1st
Pro Agility Left 1st
Pro Agility Right 2nd
Standing Long Jump 1st

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Looks like the drafted a kid with a ton of physical talent and great speed which sold them on him. Obviously not a ton of finishing skills at this point based upon his stats.

Would think that he'll play two more years in the OHL. If he doesn't broach the PPG barrier next season or the following, the pick will probably be a miss. Without a doubt a huge "roll of the dice" pick.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Seems like a reach but I’ll trust the GM. I don’t follow draft prospects to know the difference between the 18th best player or the 40th. Do have to wonder if we couldn’t have traded back or traded up in the second round.

Reactions: I3LI3

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He was not a guy I had on my radar until the 2nd round, and I was convinced we were gonna take Veleno or trade down. Was really starting to like O'Brien as well, so it stings to see him go the very next pick. Overall I see Foudy is an insane athlete and has great speed and genetics, but I still don't know if he's a player you take this high. I think they could have traded down into the early-mid 20's and still gotten him and some more picks, but clearly they really liked him, so I will trust the org.

Best part about this pick is that he plays in London. They know how to develop talent and he should be getting good minutes next year. He certainly has potential to blow away his point totals this year.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
That goal against Kingston at 2:51 sure is something.

I don't hate the pick. The Jackets' track record when they pick guys who aren't 6'5 is pretty good, so I'm willing to wait and see.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I’m sorry, after watching these highlights , this kid is going to be a stud

I agree. At times he looks like Atkinson.

The move at around 1:34 when he's about to pass, but realizes in a split second he's been drifted off of and has time to shoot it from the slot, and before that when he hits the high guy coming into the zone
from behind the net
seems like he has more IQ than what he's getting credit for.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As I said in the other thread, why not just trade down? I don't get it. Whoever said smartest guy in the room is the same how I feel. I don't mind the pick, I think he has some potential, but why not trade down?

Our scouting staff baffles me.

Reactions: Cowumbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
After a night's sleep and reading some reviews I feel a lot better about the pick. Here's a good write up on him Prospect Of Interest: The 411 on Liam Foudy - Sportsnet.ca

Rose from 79th NA skater mid year to 19th NA in final CSS rankings.
Didn't get a lot of playing time first half of year
scored 20-13-33 in last 30 games (there's your ppg+ Cyclone)
Had a good world juniors
His attitude when he was buried on the depth chart was excellent

He needs to put on some weight but he seems to be all right.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
What is Kristian Huselius famous for?
5B9D3481-C5F8-40F7-9464-9924CBA8C7FF_zpspwlz5h52.png

CFCF0A9B-598B-4663-BA51-B1F0EE619C63_zpsgkrinz4o.jpeg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At 19th of NA skaters with 6 European skaters picked before him you could make a case he was the 25th ranked player by CSS. Taking him at 18 doesn't seem that much of a stretch if you look at it that way.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
As I said in the other thread, why not just trade down? I don't get it. Whoever said smartest guy in the room is the same how I feel. I don't mind the pick, I think he has some potential, but why not trade down?

Our scouting staff baffles me.

Maybe because they knew someone else was going to take them before they would be able to get him again. Maybe because no one wanted to trade up. If you like someone, pick them. Like I said before, they aren't perfect, but you would think fans would have a belief in our scouting staff and management when it comes to picking players, especially ones that aren't expected.

Reactions: Monk

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Looks like the drafted a kid with a ton of physical talent and great speed which sold them on him. Obviously not a ton of finishing skills at this point based upon his stats.

Would think that he'll play two more years in the OHL. If he doesn't broach the PPG barrier next season or the following, the pick will probably be a miss. Without a doubt a huge "roll of the dice" pick.

He was over (barely) a PPG the second half of last season.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I'm not sure I've ever watched a highlight tape and not came away impressed - LOL

:laugh: :laugh:

Exactly. Where are those Brule, Filitov and Picard highlight videos? I'm sure they looked great.
These picks are such a crapshoot. You just have to hope that the staff gets lucky and had good instincts. I must say that I am a little disappointed that he came in second in the squat jump!!

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
He was over (barely) a PPG the second half of last season.
Jonathan Cheechoo broke 90 points once.
Boone Jenner was a 30 goal scorer once.

He needs to show (at any level) he can consistently produce. I'll be fine if he shows he's more than just a physical specimen and can consistently produce offensively. I just don't see it right now.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Jonathan Cheechoo broke 90 points once.
Boone Jenner was a 30 goal scorer once.

He needs to show (at any level) he can consistently produce. I'll be fine if he shows he's more than just a physical specimen and can consistently produce offensively. I just don't see it right now.

That's fine and I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that he has produced at a PPG when given the opportunity. That is all I was saying. Now, he needs to continue to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad