Player Discussion: At 18th Overall Blue Jackets Take Liam Foudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A good pick that will be used to acquire a good asset?

You mean a good pick that will be used to acquire a good asset that will be returned to acquire a better asset who may walk for no return?

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
As I said in the other thread, why not just trade down? I don't get it. Whoever said smartest guy in the room is the same how I feel. I don't mind the pick, I think he has some potential, but why not trade down?

Our scouting staff baffles me.
There was some talk from people in the know that he was certain to go in the first round, and as mentioned above, he was probably a first-round grade from CSS. And teams generally know what other teams are thinking better than fans/media do. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that (1) there was a team willing to trade up and (2) Foudy would have been available at that team's pick.

Reactions: thebus88

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Absolute Athletic Freakazoid!!
Rico Fata Does Not = Liam Foudy!
Foudy is not just a speed merchant.
Think Dylan Larkin meets Mike Gartner.
He's an excellent puck-handler and play-maker.
Foudy has a very high ceiling as an NHL player in the future.
If Columbus did not take him he would've been drafted between 20-22.
Boat load of NHL Scouts are very high on Foudy and thus Columbus took him @ 18.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My first reaction: Well at least they got their Matt Calvert replacement.

Second reaction: Okay, he's going to be a good player, but if the scouting staff is so good at plucking these hidden gems, why not trade down and get some extra value?

Maybe they tried

I don't think they tried to trade down, there were minutes left on the clock when they went up there.

The analysts literally said that no scouting expert (atleast 10 surveyed) had Foudy going in the first round.

Which analysts and experts? Foudy is in Bob Mckenzie's first round, which is a consensus list based on multiple scouts rankings.

Third reaction: This guy was popping up ranked in the 20's by the end of the year, so they easily could have missed him if they traded down.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure I've ever watched a highlight tape and not came away impressed - LOL

:laugh: :laugh:

Same here. These "shift by shift" videos are much more telling:

That was a great game by the kid. Every shift he's doing something, either backing off the defence or taking away space when the other team has the puck. Foudy's not very solid and not dangerous off the cycle, but that's why he's there at 18.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As I said in the other thread, why not just trade down? I don't get it. Whoever said smartest guy in the room is the same how I feel. I don't mind the pick, I think he has some potential, but why not trade down?

Our scouting staff baffles me.
I would imagine our scouting staff had a good idea that a trade down may not have resulted in getting "their guy". He has a lot of high end ability and at #18, why not go boom or bust. Speed kills and he has the smarts as well.

Not directed at your post but this kid also took off after London traded the players in front of him. They had multiple 1st round picks playing in roles that Foudy eventually took on. Dale Hunter was very high on this kid and he just needed to bide his time. He'll have time to show if the improvement is real or not. CBJ doesn't need to rush him and he's in a position where depth is needed long term.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Excited to see him try to take a leadership role next season. As the vets have left I would imagine Hunter and our management are gonna want him to go back and prove he's ready to take over a major role on the team and show he can consistently play at a high level of play.

Reactions: EspenK

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I was as surprised as anyone when his name was called at 18, I also viewed him as a 2nd rounder. But I had no idea he tested so freakishly well in the combine or had been buried in London for the first half of the season. A kid with his kind of athletic ability and speed just needs to be given a chance to shine, and he took that opportunity in the second half of the season and ran with it.

He’s not a big name like Veleno or Merkley but I’m very intrigued by his upside. He’s got the physical attributes necessary to be a versatile, disruptive player.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If the guys upperbody can catch up to his lower body then the sky is the limit. Add a bit more to his shot and finishing ability because the speed and hands are going to generate chances

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Interview with Basil McRae:
This was 2 years ago when the London Knights drafted Liam Foudy in the 1st Round.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
My thoughts- Ok, I didn't watch the draft live. Busy at work. But, I watched on replay Saturday afternoon. I'll admit- I was slightly disappointed and like "who" and thinking I've never even briefly considered him with the first round pick... But, I was fine with the pick after a bit of research.

After slight reading up on him, watching highlights, and thinking about it... I like it a little bit more

Several have mentioned about taking more risks with our first couple picks, rather than the safe picks.. That's what we did... I don't think it is as big of a reach as others say.. He was a massive riser. Who knows how many teams really desired to move up.

He's with London. He broke out at the end of the season with more ice time, more trust and posted a point per game. He was playing with two no-namers as line-mates when he broke out as well, so it's not like he was piggybacking off other players if I read it correctly.

If we are going to take a risk- I take a risk on this guy further developing his game with London Knights...

Plus, Foudy outproduced Akil Thomas and Kupari in points at the most recent U-18, which is a minor point, but something that is worth mentioning when I wanted Thomas or Kupari.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I remember when it was a guaranteed mistake to pick a "future 2rd line center at most" over Jesse Puljujarvi.

I'll trust Ville and Co.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I remember when it was a guaranteed mistake to pick a "future 2rd line center at most" over Jesse Puljujarvi.

I'll trust Ville and Co.

I like PLD as much as the next guy, but its been one NHL season. Let's see how it looks in 2-3 years.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ok I'll use this time to ask, why cant I see the damn 'tweets' on here anymore?

Very inconvenient.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's probably your adblocker. I had a similar issue a few months back. It's far from ideal.

Thank u. Its 1 of the things I "assumed", but I just don't understand the timing of it.

Can I pitch that people simply post the "tag" or whatever its called (@aportzline) before or after the tweet?

Those of u who see this.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Plus, Foudy outproduced Akil Thomas and Kupari in points at the most recent U-18, which is a minor point, but something that is worth mentioning when I wanted Thomas or Kupari.

It is weird, on paper Akil is a much better player, but when i have watch him, he seems like a none factor on the ice. He is not bad, but he do not put the world on fire. While with Foudy it is the other way around, he really wow me when i watch him, but he has pretty horrible stats for being a 1 rounder. Eyetest Foudy wins easily, but on paper Akil still wins with big margin. Seems little bit weird to me. Do not understand why Foudy with all his skillset do not score more, and it is not like he is lazy, he is very active in the game from what i have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad