Player Discussion: At 18th Overall Blue Jackets Take Liam Foudy

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
His speed gives him the floor of a Chimera (or more of a Grabner even).

But we already know he's smarter than Chimera.

We already know he's better character than Grabner.

The sky is the limit.

Why do you think he's smarter than Chimera?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Being fast doesn't matter much if his brain can't match it, otherwise, you have Jason Chimera.
So we get a player who plays 1000+ NHL games?? I don't see the downside.

Not every 1st rounder is going to be an elite top line player, but if he's as fast and and durable he should stick around for awhile. I mean look at Milano, his speed and goal scoring ability is what has kept him around. But I think Foudy is much more skilled than Milano and dare I say faster.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Foudy seems to be more smooth (in ALL his "movements"), intelligent and faster than Milano.

Way smoother, intelligent and skilled than Chimera ever was.

I really think (from watching some video of these guys) it should prolly be 1.Foudy 2.Texier 3. Abramov

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why do you think he's smarter than Chimera?

I just watched the full game video of Foudy from the USA-Canada game (U17 last winter?). He didn't do anything stupid. Chimera didn't anticipate plays very well, and seemed to be color-blind with respect to the lines on the ice. I didn't see any of that in that game of Foudy's. It didn't look like Foudy was either superb or lacking in the IQ part of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn
Mar 1, 2002
Pronman: World Junior camp takeaways and projected rosters

I had skepticism about Foudy going into the draft, but he made it hard for me to stay a skeptic watching him during the past week. Yes, his speed is elite and everyone knows that, but he showed good anticipation finding lanes to break up the ice for a chance or finding a way to put pressure on the defense. He got a lot of scoring chances and pushed the pace for Canada. I have my doubts on if his hands are any better than average, and I wouldn’t tab him as a top-six guy yet, but I think he could be a real solid third-line forward who PKs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pronman: World Junior camp takeaways and projected rosters

I had skepticism about Foudy going into the draft, but he made it hard for me to stay a skeptic watching him during the past week. Yes, his speed is elite and everyone knows that, but he showed good anticipation finding lanes to break up the ice for a chance or finding a way to put pressure on the defense. He got a lot of scoring chances and pushed the pace for Canada. I have my doubts on if his hands are any better than average, and I wouldn’t tab him as a top-six guy yet, but I think he could be a real solid third-line forward who PKs.

This is his Team Canada projection, or NHL projection?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How was Foudy in camp so far?

Nothing special so far. He hasn't looked out of place either, so that's worth something. There are of course the couple moments per game when he blows you away with his speed but Foudy still has a lot to learn about how to use his gifts to create offense or cause havoc. He scored a goal at the tail end of a PP.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
ouef, reading some of the posts on the first and second page are cringe lol but some were also right on not being sold on the pick at the time.

Liam while averaging just 12 minutes a game in his career has…. yet to score a regular season goal. he’s now at 42 games without a goal.

he has six shots on goal in his last 144 minutes on the ice… that’s incredible.

goodness.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
ouef, reading some of the posts on the first and second page are cringe lol but some were also right on not being sold on the pick at the time.

Liam while averaging just 12 minutes a game in his career has…. yet to score a regular season goal. he’s now at 42 games without a goal.

he has six shots on goal in his last 144 minutes on the ice… that’s incredible.

goodness.
At least we got Marchenko in RD 2. In fairness a quick scan of the picks then looks like K'Andre Miller & Sandin were the only 2 guys picked after Foudy who have panned out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He’s basically on track to what I thought he would be. A bottom 6 PKer and energy guy. Granted, I thought there would be more there offensively (I believe I said 30 points would be a good season for him when he develops), but yeah. It would be no surprise to me if he doesn’t stick in the NHL and becomes and AHL/NHL call up guy.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
At least we got Marchenko in RD 2. In fairness a quick scan of the picks then looks like K'Andre Miller & Sandin were the only 2 guys picked after Foudy who have panned out.
Those two plus Romanov, Durzi, Addison, McCloud? Maybe even Bernard-Docker.

Foudy was considered to be in the 40-60 range IIRC.

That draft sucked, all the good to great players got drafted in the top 10. Weird how that works.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Those two plus Romanov, Durzi, Addison, McCloud? Maybe even Bernard-Docker.
i'd add:
- Lundkvist (hasn't played a lot but just fetched a first)
- Samuelsson (early second)
- Feheravary (early second)
- Sharangovich (fifth round)

Really it just wasn't a great draft for forwards. If anything, it's a combination of that + Foudy having lost a ton of development time due to injuries.

It's a shame that he's waiver-eligible (although I do think they could pass him through) because he'd benefit more than anyone else in the org from playing big AHL minutes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If anything, it's a combination of that + Foudy having lost a ton of development time due to injuries.

It's a shame that he's waiver-eligible (although I do think they could pass him through) because he'd benefit more than anyone else in the org from playing big AHL minutes.

He hasn't seemed to improve any over the last couple years so I wonder if the injuries were a big setback for him. He's had a lot.

I also wonder about his stick length. Foudy isn't naturally a good handler and provides more value with his checking but leans even more in that direction with a very long stick. He can force turnovers but has struggled to control the puck and that really limits his value.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Sandin? He is the guy all the Leafs fans on the trade board say is awesome as they include him in a trade offer. He is like the new Alex Kerfoot. Sandin is Boqvist if he was shorter, a left shot, and a worse player. I wouldn’t trade Foudy for Sandin. I’d say the two guys after him in the draft that would be important pieces for the Jackets would be Miller and Samuelsson.

Really it just wasn't a great draft for forwards.

Once you get out if the beginning of the first, truly impactful forwards are hard to find. A few years ago I looked at a bunch of second round forwards over a few drafts and decided if I were a GM I’d always draft defense in the second round.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That draft sucked

Man, I looked closely at the 2018 draft this morning because of the Sandin trade. It was not good.

The one guy after Foudy we could really use is K’Andre Miller. I also like Mathias Samuelsson.

If you did a 2018 redraft, Boqvist and Marchenko would go first round and Foudy and Berni would probably go 2nd round.

Ty Smith was picked right before Foudy. He looked promising early in, but New Jersey dumped him and he is in the AHL. Martin Kaut was 2 picks before Foudy. Jay O’Brien, who is still in college and might not receive a contract offer from the Flyers, was picked right after Foudy.

Strange draft fact - the Rangers drafted a guy (Joey Keane) who has played 2 games for Carolina but is an American who is playing in the KHL now.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Man, I looked closely at the 2018 draft this morning because of the Sandin trade. It was not good.

The one guy after Foudy we could really use is K’Andre Miller. I also like Mathias Samuelsson.

If you did a 2018 redraft, Boqvist and Marchenko would go first round and Foudy and Berni would probably go 2nd round.

Ty Smith was picked right before Foudy. He looked promising early in, but New Jersey dumped him and he is in the AHL. Martin Kaut was 2 picks before Foudy. Jay O’Brien, who is still in college and might not receive a contract offer from the Flyers, was picked right after Foudy.

Strange draft fact - the Rangers drafted a guy (Joey Keane) who has played 2 games for Carolina but is an American who is playing in the KHL now.
Let's not be Russian to judgement on Joe Keane

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I know that there is more into this, like usage, being snakebitten and girlfriend having periods, but right now Foudy seems to be the perfect Tank Commander for the Jackets: (relative stats, 5-on-5 this season)

Screenshot_20230306-212739.png

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Foudy is our worst first round pick since ?Gabriel Carlsson ? Rychel / Dano?

Well, we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2017 and PLD was the selection in 2016.

So saying "worst 1st round pick since Gabriel Carlsson" (who was taken in 2015) isn't saying much lol

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I said this about Kole Sherwood when he was here but in order for Foudy to make an impact at the nhl level he’s going to have to learn how to play physical. Now he will never be a bull running people through the glass, but with his speed he should be able to be a puck hound forechecker. He’ll need to get bigger, and it may take some speed away, but at this point it’s what needs to be done.

The hands will never come. They were never there to begin with. His offense will never translate from juniors because his skills are very mediocre. But what he can do is skate, and have a good mind for the game. If he wants to make it as an nhl player he will need something in his arsenal because he’s got nothing right now. Easiest thing he can do is utilize his speed as a forechecker, and with more bulk he can potentially be really good at protecting the puck. But he’s got to do something or time will be up soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->