Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I feel like the most common refrain around CK is the opposite "God his strength, size and skating just ooze so much more potential and he never reaches it. He is what he is at this point"

He certainly didnt bust of course but I just feel like his whole career we've waited for him to become more

Rangers every run have a player that could do more. Duguay, Kovalev, Kreider.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Right. Thing is, we've reached the point where some people's opinions literally are defined solely by statistical models. Like they know nothing about a guy, look at what a model says, and then suddenly they feel really strongly one way or another about the guy. I have no idea if this Bacon guy is one of those, but that tweet sure as shit read like he was. :laugh:

It's also useless to look at just scoring if you don't know the context or don't look at the tools of such young players. Brad Marchand wasn't scoring as much as he should have at that age but his tools were always there and he was always able to elevate his game for important tournaments or playoffs. Othmann is a similar case who just failed to put it together for longer stretches. And again, even when not scoring, he still had an impact via efficient hitting and drawing penalties.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
How much did you watch him?

Ngl I feel the same way about this that i did about Lias and Mcilrath. I'd like to be 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 3
I haven’t watched a crazy amount but a decent amount of video and read a ton. I’m not saying I’m an expert on the player but more if he’s the Rangers’ BPA then they had to take him, position be damned.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I dont mind the pick. I assume he's 3 years out? Maybe Kreiders replacement when the cap crunch hits

I want to be built to win games in the playoffs. I couldn't care less about regular season analytics if they dont translate into the playoffs.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thats your board not the teams. Only bad thing ive read about this kid is his skating mechanics and that can be fixed.
No kidding that Its not the teams board. It sure seems like the consensus had the other two guys higher. The Rangers needed another LW like I need another nipple. I’m all for BPA but I don’t this way BPA and this guy is going to be buried on the depth chart whereas the only centers the Rangers have are who exactly?

Reactions: brakeyawself

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Rangers every run have a player that could do more. Duguay, Kovalev, Kreider.
I think you might've missed the point. (Bc it looks like you're under the impression I'm not aware of this). I'm just responding to a specific comment that claimed he absolutely reached the potential we all hoped for with him. Which sticks out bc, as I said, the refrain around here that is VERY frequently spoken about CK is how much more tantalizing his potential is.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Is Othy the one that laid out Edvinnsson on 'handlebar gurus' highlight video?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I really dont mind the pick but man I hope Zibanejad is a good dude because let me tell ya I'd be telling the Rangers I want 10 for 8 because they simply have no other option any time soon

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I haven’t watched a crazy amount but a decent amount of video and read a ton. I’m not saying I’m an expert on the player but more if he’s the Rangers’ BPA then they had to take him, position be damned.
Im just hoping for someone who's seen himto have a lot of positive to say bc I really dislike this pick and I'm tired of being right all the damn time about this shit. I don't get any credit for it and the team winds up suffering so I get nothing out of it.

I did really like last year's pick at least! And I really like Gallant

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He was pretty much BPA. As I mentioned already, I think Dallas would have taken him had they not traded their pick to Detroit.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
No kidding that Its not the teams board. It sure seems like the consensus had the other two guys higher. The Rangers needed another LW like I need another nipple. I’m all for BPA but I don’t this way BPA and this guy is going to be buried on the depth chart whereas the only centers the Rangers have are who exactly?

Id get the anger if he was a reach but he was drafted right where he was projected. You wanted a C but of the C's on the board how mwny of them will play C in the NHL, I would have been pissed at G in the 1st. I get the need for C depth in the organization but to draft for posistion is a big mistake and will go wrong 90% of the time

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Id get the anger if he was a reach but he was drafted right where he was projected. You wanted a C but of the C's on the board how mwny of them will play C in the NHL, I would have been pissed at G in the 1st. I get the need for C depth in the organization but to draft for posistion is a big mistake and will go wrong 90% of the time
But right where he was projected is under where Lucius and Wallstedt were projected. And I’ll say it again, I don’t think Othmann is bad BUT I think it’s a bad pick with What else was on the board

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thats your board not the teams. Only bad thing ive read about this kid is his skating mechanics and that can be fixed.

His skating is fine. It's his decision making letting him down at times. He also lost his cool on a number of occasions which led to stupid penalties. I think it was part of adjusting to pro hockey though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
But right where he was projected is under where Lucius and Wallstedt were projected. And I’ll say it again, I don’t think Othmann is bad BUT I think it’s a bad pick with What else was on the board

That's not true. Again. If Yzerman doesn't trade up to get his goalie, Dallas is picking Othmann.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN

Answer me this of the C available which would be a C in the NHL. Cause if we drafted a C and he ended up projected as a winger it be the same thing

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's not true. Again. If Yzerman doesn't trade up to get his goalie, Dallas is picking Othmann.
I mean if you can say that I can say if Othmann was that good, Dallas tells Detroit to screw off and keeps him for themselves. Also how do we know he was Dallas pick

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
A Western Scout on Othmann: "Rangers are banking on Othmann becoming their Morrow."

Other thoughts from scouts:

Think the game will translate to the NHL.

A kid who you draft not because he's the best player in 2021, but because he's one of the better players in 2025.

Was rooting for Svechkov but this kid sounds promising even though I don't know where he fits in with all the other wingers. What do you think of the pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad