Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
You take BPA, not positions. A good player or someone he's replacing can be used to acquire the position you want. Worse players are a waste.

I keep hearing that over the last 3 years, yet we have yet to use those BPAs to acquire a single center.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Again if you're going to post this garbage, his model also has Lundell being better than Lafreniere.
Everyone has their opinions. You look at 15 sites or rankings and 14 have the guy right in this range, and then you find one guy who thinks the player is shit.

IIRC, last year Elite Prospects had Cuylle (who I really like) on their Do Not Draft list. Like I said, there's always an outlet that's randomly way down on a guy.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a well rounded enough player that has enough tools to carve out a career, even if a bottom sixer.

We have 5 picks in Rds 3 and 4 in a draft that’s one of the biggest crapshoots we’ve seen. We’ll have multiple opportunities to swing for the fences for boom/bust types.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I was expecting Wallstedt, Lucius, or Svechkov.

I don't hate the pick, but I'm not in love with it either. It feels more like identifying a weakness (grit, toughness, tough to play against) than BPA. If they truly think he's BPA then I'm fine with it regardless of position.

Wallstedt is who I would have personally gone with, ugh.. I can't believe he was still on the board.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You hope he develops into a solid complimentary player / good soldier during Lafreniere’s prime. He apparently found another gear during the medal round at U-18s and during the Swiss League playoffs. So that’s promising.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is totally misleading. Only looks at point production. He's a 17 year old playing against men.

LW Brennan Othmann - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2021, 16th, NYR)

As you can read here, he also scored 10 in his first 12 after turning pro despite being 13th forward for 2 games I believe. He then went cold as the entire team and never really put it together again until the playoffs when he was fantastic again.

He's crazy about hockey and getting better and I think he just put too much pressure on himself, was trying a bit too hard. His decision making also wasn't always ideal but I think that will come eventually. It was much better again during the playoffs and later at the WJC18. He didn't score nearly as much as he should have over the entire season but he had very good stretches where he proved that he can score vs good competition and, most importantly, he was at his best in big games during playoffs and at the WJC18. Also, even when not scoring, he's still effective as a hitter and agitator. He was drawing a lot of penalties all season long.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Do we ever just pick someone that were supposed to ? Wtf

Edit: I don’t really know anything about this kid. Just every year when we draft it’s never the kids they talk about all night.
You mean like Kakko and Lafreniere? Nah, Rangers never do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad