Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Would have preferred a center, but liking what im hearing about Othmann. It will be cool to see some of the "support" players like Othmann, Cuylle, Berard, Pajuniemi, etc. develop in Hartford and enter the NYR lineup over the next 2-3 years.

If we are trying to copy Tampa, thats exactly what theyve done with their AHL team

Reactions: Kords

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I like the pick. We aren’t likely getting a super star at 16, but maybe he can be like Kunitz/Thachuk.

Watch him be loved here. Everyone loves to react like they really know who this kid is. Sure he’s not a center. But we’ll get our chance at a center position. He likely won’t be ready for 2-3 years. And I think by then Kreider will be either bought out or traded.

Drury isn’t the type of GM like JD who reads the room and makes moves that the fanbase will be happy with. Drury is not that. Right now though so many red flags with Drury. It’s toooo early to make a opinion on this pick.

Reactions: haveandare

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
I like him and let’s be honest we all want a center but by the time this guy is cooked Kreider will most likely be gone and Panarin will be 33. No center we picked now will help us in the near term.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
This board is insane. This team needs a C now not 4-5 yrs from now. You have to draft BPA and not positional for now. From what ive read and seen this kid plays hard and has a motor that never dies, he loves the sport and works hard to get better. If he turns into a marchand lite id be ecstatic. This draft more then any is an absolute Crap shoot.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
So given development time, one thing we could say, he slots in perfectly for when we move on from Kreider in ~3 seasons.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
This is not a bad pick. I know ppl are reactionary and base their reactions off of their expectations but he’s good. I’m kind of surprised they took a winger but if he was their BPA then they take him. He won’t be a contributor for a few years anyway so you take the BPA.

Fast, non stop motor energy guy, crazy motivated, skilled and with grit. Sounds good to me. We could look back in a few years and he’s one of the top few players from this draft honestly. I feel like he’s built to be an effective forward in the NHL today.
How much did you watch him?

Ngl I feel the same way about this that i did about Lias and Mcilrath. I'd like to be 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 3

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Everyone has their opinions. You look at 15 sites or rankings and 14 have the guy right in this range, and then you find one guy who thinks the player is shit.

IIRC, last year Elite Prospects had Cuylle (who I really like) on their Do Not Draft list. Like I said, there's always an outlet that's randomly way down on a guy.

The thing is that his tweet isn't an opinion. It's a statistical model. I can't imagine he's ever seen most of these guys play with how he defends these rankings.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Scored 2 points in his first playoff game as a pro. Remember he was also fantastic at the WJC18. Kid is a winner.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Kreider developed into what we hoped.
I feel like the most common refrain around CK is the opposite "God his strength, size and skating just ooze so much more potential and he never reaches it. He is what he is at this point"

He certainly didnt bust of course but I just feel like his whole career we've waited for him to become more

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing is that his tweet isn't an opinion. It's a statistical model. I can't imagine he's ever seen most of these guys play with how he defends these rankings.
Right. Thing is, we've reached the point where some people's opinions literally are defined solely by statistical models. Like they know nothing about a guy, look at what a model says, and then suddenly they feel really strongly one way or another about the guy. I have no idea if this Bacon guy is one of those, but that tweet sure as shit read like he was. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I know Patrick Bacon. It's not him. :laugh:

Patrick is a smart guy but this model is new and he'll tell you himself he's wrong about things. This is not a death sentence.

I think the problem is that the model is just trash for anything (and I mean anything) outside the box. I can see it working when things get back to normal. But the second a wrench is tossed in (ala COVID), it's worthless.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Right. Thing is, we've reached the point where some people's opinions literally are defined solely on statistical models. Like they know nothing about a guy, look at what a model says, and then suddenly they feel really strongly one way or another about the guy. I have no idea if this Bacon guy is one of those, but that tweet sure as shit read like he was. :laugh:

I think his defense of these absurd rankings is what is really the trouble. It'd be one thing to have it out there, but he had Sillinger ranked #2 in the draft.

Solid prospect.

Not anywhere close to #2.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This board is insane. This team needs a C now not 4-5 yrs from now. You have to draft BPA and not positional for now.
1. They need both C now and later. The org chart at center is barren.
2. The BPA was either a goalie (Wallstedt) OR a center (Lucius)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad