Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
New York Rangers drafting LWs is like the New York Giants drafting Corner backs at this point geez

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Everyone told me this pick would be traded…

Thought they would go for a C or G?

No another LW.

Position doesn’t matter.

oh he’s gritty? That changes everything

Reactions: mas0764 and CLW

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Chris-Drury.jpg

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I have no issues with the pick. IF the Rangers have their Elite Skill core players already on hand, we will need to constantly replenish the supporting players. If he turns to a kunitz for our Crosby, then we will be very happy with the pick. The issue currently with our middle 6 is we have no one who is 'really difficult to play against" and has the ability to score a bunch. We don;t quite have our Brock Nelson or Anders Lee types. Othmann is drafted to be that one day. Furthermore, the thing that stands out about him is his sheer will. Will, drive and motor are so important, especiallly when looking at a draft with less high end skill. You want to pick kids who you know are driven to get better every single day. I think all in all i'm fine with the pick.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
So in 3 years when we can trade Kreider he plays? Not trying to bash the pick but if any 2 forwards are a lock on this team its Panarin and Laff. Maybe someone moves to RW. Dont see how he fits in at all. Its also debatable he was BPA.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Seems like a great pick at 16.. obviously does not fill an organizational need but that’s BPA for you. He will be apart of the next wave of young players on Entry level contract after kakko and laf have graduated to bridge/ maybe long term contracts.

I like it.

Reactions: egelband

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Everyone told me this pick would be traded…

Thought they would go for a C or G?

No another LW.

Position doesn’t matter.

oh he’s gritty? That changes everything

He's crazy gritty. And totally crazy. Like the rat, just minus the dirty stuff.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This is not a bad pick. I know ppl are reactionary and base their reactions off of their expectations but he’s good. I’m kind of surprised they took a winger but if he was their BPA then they take him. He won’t be a contributor for a few years anyway so you take the BPA.

Fast, non stop motor energy guy, crazy motivated, skilled and with grit. Sounds good to me. We could look back in a few years and he’s one of the top few players from this draft honestly. I feel like he’s built to be an effective forward in the NHL today.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I was expecting Wallstedt, Lucius, or Svechkov.

I don't hate the pick, but I'm not in love with it either. It feels more like identifying a weakness (grit, toughness, tough to play against) than BPA. If they truly think he's BPA then I'm fine with it regardless of position.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Othmann is nothing like Boeser or Zadina. Much more aggressive and much higher intensity. Zadina and Boeser are rather soft. I always compare Othmann to the rat but he's even more aggressive and a bit bigger. I think he could be another late bloomer. The tools are all there, he just has to put it together. Since his work ethic is second to none, I think he will eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad