Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
How does his skating look this year? Wasn't that the big knock on him on draft day was that he wasn't an explosive skater? Curious if it has improved so far

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How does his skating look this year? Wasn't that the big knock on him on draft day was that he wasn't an explosive skater? Curious if it has improved so far

I think he gets to the spots he needs to get to in order to be successful.

The skating is just fine, especially because he has a nose for positioning. In other words he's not out there skating in circles trying to figure out where he needs to be offensively.

He'll get bigger, he'll get stronger, he'll get faster. But his positioning and his ability to get his shot off is what is going to drive his success.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Othmann not even being invited to camp makes no sense. I wonder if there's some behind the scenes stuff with him and Hockey Canada because as far as on ice performance he should 100% be at the camp and should have had a good shot at making the team.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Othmann not even being invited to camp makes no sense. I wonder if there's some behind the scenes stuff with him and Hockey Canada because as far as on ice performance he should 100% be at the camp and should have had a good shot at making the team.

Yeah I don't get this.

Could this have anything to do with him going over to the Swiss league last year?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I don't get this.

Could this have anything to do with him going over to the Swiss league last year?
No of course not.

Canada has a ton of forwards. There are 4-5 names that people are up in arms about not getting invited. If they were invited, there would be 4-5 names that would be bumped that people would be mad about.

Brandt Clarke, I can't figure out though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah I don't get this.

I can't imagine it does. The OHL didn't play last year, and he's back playing in the OHL this year. I can't see Hockey Canada holding a grudge when he didn't have a choice.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Definitely should have received an invite. I don't think he should be a lock to make the team.
Mctavish (L) - Perfetti (L) - Bourque (R)
Greig (L) - Johnson (L) - Guenther (R)
Neighbours (L) - Lapierre (L) - Stankoven (R)
Cuylle (L) - Wright - ???

Tyson Foerster didn't make the cut either.

Clarke is a much bigger snub. Aside from Power, there is no one else I'd rather have.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, hopefully he's the kind of kid who will feel slighted by this and go out and play with a big chip on his shoulder the rest of the year. He has looked great all year, IMO, so I'd love to see what he could do shifting into another gear (although, he could really use some help).

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Maybe team canada didnt pick him because its not his last year eligible for the tournament? Idk very weird

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
it shouldn't, OHL didn't even play,
and being undrafted, he didn't have any pro affiliation
but who knows...

at W18's he was 7th among F's in G,A,Pts
Canada U18 at eliteprospects.com

He started that tournament slowly but had 2 Goals and 2 assists over the three knockout games.

Also, Othmann is worth so much more than just points. He was drawing by far the most penalties, he's got the obvious chemistry with Shane Wright, he's a big hitter and he's great against the puck. Unfortunately, Wright missed a game due to injury and Guenther played an absolute stinker of a tournament. If it wasn't for Guenther being glued to them, Wright and Othmann could have done better.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I don't get this.

I shared this elsewhere, but HockeyCanada never reached out to any of the players in Erie, Saginaw or Flint (The 3 US-based OHL teams). I know the whole "but pandemic" shtick is used for everything but I think they really dropped the ball here. NHL scouts still reach out to these kids through Zoom. Why can't HC scouts do the same? It's a lame excuse.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I know a lot of people didn't like this pick. I don't scout and do not pretend to watch JR games other than the WJC. What didn't they like about him, and 2 were those concerns largely squashed with his great start to the season?

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know a lot of people didn't like this pick. I don't scout and do not pretend to watch JR games other than the WJC. What didn't they like about him, and 2 were those concerns largely squashed with his great start to the season?

I always felt most people disliked the pick solely because he's not a center. Then there's some ridiculous tweets about his "lack of scoring growth" based on an inconclusive model (I'll link it below) and Ranger fans just ran with it.

McKenzie had him ranked 16th. See the info below from Eliteprospects:

upload_2021-12-17_17-30-39.png

I think there was a huge overreaction based on misleading information and perceived need for the organization. Othmann is a good prospect and 16th overall, he was a good selection. You can argue whether Svechkov or Lucius would have been better but it's not like we reached for a player like OTT did with Tyler Boucher at 10th overall.

Also, when you look into his production a bit more, and dissect it (which these graphs below never take into account) you can see a clearer picture.

Here's my reaction in response to that tweet in particular:

I think these metrics are a bit shaky with a player who went from juniors to the Swiss 2nd tier of pro hockey. It's hard to apply those metrics on such a weird trajectory.

Then there's the way his season unfolded Started out with 15 points in 17 games, before going cold with 0 in 13, but his team was 0-4-9 including an 8 game losing streak in those 13 games Once the team recovered, Othmann's production picked up again with 3 points in his final 8

3.18 G/GP during the 11-4-2 streak where he had 15 points
2.76 G/GP during the 4-9-0 streak where he had 0 points
4.00 G/GP during the 5-1-2 streak where he had 3 points

I don't expect a 17-year old draft eligible kid to carry a pro team when they hit a cold streak

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I always felt most people disliked the pick solely because he's not a center. Then there's some ridiculous tweets about his "lack of scoring growth" based on an inconclusive model (I'll link it below) and Ranger fans just ran with it.

McKenzie had him ranked 16th. See the info below from Eliteprospects:

View attachment 491984

I think there was a huge overreaction based on misleading information and perceived need for the organization. Othmann is a good prospect and 16th overall, he was a good selection. You can argue whether Svechkov or Lucius would have been better but it's not like we reached for a player like OTT did with Tyler Boucher at 10th overall.

Also, when you look into his production a bit more, and dissect it (which these graphs below never take into account) you can see a clearer picture.

Here's my reaction in response to that tweet in particular:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't understand the last tweet comparing growth from a Jr league to an adult league, that's somewhat absurd to me. Did he have the same opinion with Auston Matthews? lol

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I don't understand the last tweet comparing growth from a Jr league to an adult league, that's somewhat absurd to me. Did he have the same opinion with Auston Matthews? lol

That's why that entire model is inconclusive here. I looked it up. Want to guess how many non-Swiss players actually played in the Swiss league in their draft year?

2 players and they combined for 3 total games. So yeah, hardly enough data to go off of. The sentence "The lack of scoring growth is a near death sentence" is f***ing ridiculous and based on a quick glance at season totals.

Last edited:

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

I'm assuming there is some kind of scale depending on the league, age, etc. So 1.5 P/GP in JRs might scale to .5 P/GP in another league. Guess it's saying he should've been able to score more in the Swiss league to show growth.

My biggest gripe with these kinds of charts is that they are posted with such conviction and almost never revisited. This guy posts his chart and suddenly the hockey world hates our pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00