At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Idk how many times it needs to be said, the Wongs drafted Cossa because of his ceiling. They believe he had a higher ceiling than Wallstedt. Wallstedt may look great now, but has he peaked?

I heard that the were some questions about Wallstedt's commitment in becoming a top tier goalie. Some work ethic issues. Not sure what to make of it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I heard that the were some questions about Wallstedt's commitment in becoming a top tier goalie. Some work ethic issues. Not sure what to make of it.

Someone confirmed (can't remember who) that part of why he dropped is teams were concerned about him maintaining an optimal playing weight.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Every time I saw a highlight package of Walstedt he never moved. He came out and blocked the angles beautifully but never side to side. He was described as not being athletic. Cossa was, and he IS athletic. He’s also bigger

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Someone confirmed (can't remember who) that part of why he dropped is teams were concerned about him maintaining an optimal playing weight.
And this organization has never been burned by that before, so...

ee3e1a27-4b23-4462-95eb-d19d6c0a59ed-SI_20200227_pjc_ai5_09_1.jpg

Reactions: nhlisawesome

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Every time I saw a highlight package of Walstedt he never moved. He came out and blocked the angles beautifully but never side to side. He was described as not being athletic. Cossa was, and he IS athletic. He’s also bigger

I call shenanigans. Being smart and in position does not equal poor athleticism. It just equals smart and efficient goaltending.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I call shenanigans. Being smart and in position does not equal poor athleticism. It just equals smart and efficient goaltending.

Two sides to that coin.

Being athletic can disguise issues with precision and efficiency. Being efficient and precise can disguise issues with athleticism.

In both cases you can develop…as an athlete and as a tactician. It’s more of a challenge to gain the elite athleticism that can overcome the chances that are thrown at you in the NHL. However, Mrazek has never been precise but had world class athleticism and is still in the league, so the freak athlete does play up at the NHL level. But without the refinement of the art, you’ll never be a Vasy level goalie.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Here's something for us Wings fans.

Now we don't have to have this debate because someone did it for us!

Bro, why do you have to keep tearing off that scab! Just let me heal! This board: "Goalies take time!" Also this board: "He'll be ready to battle Ned in net in 2 years"....

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We're gonna have to be patient with this one, unfortunately. Until both guys are in the NHL, it's really an academic exercise.

I was a vocal Wallstedt guy before the draft and he's done nothing to change my opinion on him as a potential cornerstone player, but Cossa represents an incredible upside as well. If I was picking the safer bet, probably Wallstedt. If I'm picking the guy who can more likely take over games, it's hard to ignore Cossa's frame, athletics, and attitude.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
We're gonna have to be patient with this one, unfortunately. Until both guys are in the NHL, it's really an academic exercise.

I was a vocal Wallstedt guy before the draft and he's done nothing to change my opinion on him as a potential cornerstone player, but Cossa represents an incredible upside as well. If I was picking the safer bet, probably Wallstedt. If I'm picking the guy who can more likely take over games, it's hard to ignore Cossa's frame, athletics, and attitude.

The same way I feel and goalies have a huge development curve there is more likely then not to be stretchs of disappointing news weighted by the desperation of fans needing this piece of the rebuild to work out.

Spirit19

Feb 13, 2022
This is the pick that we all may look back on in 10 years. Either it worked okay or it completely derailed the rebuild in a year we could have leapt forward. Definitely a head scratcher this one.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
This is the pick that we all may look back on in 10 years. Either it worked okay or it completely derailed the rebuild in a year we could have leapt forward. Definitely a head scratcher this one.

Eh, I think Edvinsson busting would have a much bigger impact because he was drafted to give Detroit that 1-2 punch on the back end it hasn't had since the Lidstrom - Rafalski days.

Cossa busting means we wasted a mid 1st in a year we had 2 picks. It's not ideal but it won't be the world ender you think it is. A serviceable goalie can be gotten in free agency every single season.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Give him time, hes got all the tools and confidence to be an NHL starting goalie. Also, having Seider + Edvinsson in front of him will help too, 6 foot 6 tendy with 6 foot 5 D men = very hard to play against

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Eh, I think Edvinsson busting would have a much bigger impact because he was drafted to give Detroit that 1-2 punch on the back end it hasn't had since the Lidstrom - Rafalski days.

Cossa busting means we wasted a mid 1st in a year we had 2 picks. It's not ideal but it won't be the world ender you think it is. A serviceable goalie can be gotten in free agency every single season.
Keep in mind Stevie traded up, those picks could have been Lambos and Raty

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Come on. The Raty pick was Leddy. As in, the exact pick that was dealt to NYI was used to select Aatu Raty. Who nosedived from being worth 1OA to the mid second in a year. Pump your brakes on regretting that trade for a second.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Because it is guaranteed that Lambos and Raty are going to be superstars, duh? This is a funny game you can see around here, where people just change the names of those who should have been picked instead

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You'll drive yourself insane if you cherry pick the best choices in any draft.
I wanted Lambos and Raty before the draft. It was either Lambos or Chayka if Lambos was already gone. Raty was an absolute no brainer in the second round, most of us figured late first at worst.

Come on. The Raty pick was Leddy. As in, the exact pick that was dealt to NYI was used to select Aatu Raty. Who nosedived from being worth 1OA to the mid second in a year. Pump your brakes on regretting that trade for a second.
The pick that was traded to move up was earlier than the Leddy pick, so the Wings actually had three chances at Raty but instead traded for Leddy, traded up to take Cossa, and then took Buium. ANY of those picks could have been Raty.

Because it is guaranteed that Lambos and Raty are going to be superstars, duh? This is a funny game you can see around here, where people just change the names of those who should have been picked instead
Who said they were going to be superstars? All I'm saying is that if Cossa isn't better than Lambos and Raty combined then it's a failed trade. That is what the team gave up to move up. At least those were the two players I wanted pre-draft.

I'm sure there are prospects doing even better than those 2 (maybe Johnston? At least stat wise), but I went with my picks,.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wanted Lambos and Raty before the draft. It was either Lambos or Chayka if Lambos was already gone. Raty was an absolute no brainer in the second round, most of us figured late first at worst.

The pick that was traded to move up was earlier than the Leddy pick, so the Wings actually had three chances at Raty but instead traded for Leddy, traded up to take Cossa, and then took Buium. ANY of those picks could have been Raty.

Who said they were going to be superstars? All I'm saying is that if Cossa isn't better than Lambos and Raty combined then it's a failed trade.

Oh yeah, you're gonna drive yourself nuts. Good luck.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Here's something for us Wings fans.

Now we don't have to have this debate because someone did it for us!

These goalies aren't even close from the best outside of the NHL. The best goalies are guys like Olkinuora, Rifalk, Kovar, Van Pottelberghe, Malik, Skinner, Tarasov, Ingram or Dostal. Might have forgotten about a guy or two but the kids trio doesn't come close. Not gonna debate the upside but the kids are not quite there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad