At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

Spirit19

Feb 13, 2022
Eh, I think Edvinsson busting would have a much bigger impact because he was drafted to give Detroit that 1-2 punch on the back end it hasn't had since the Lidstrom - Rafalski days.

Cossa busting means we wasted a mid 1st in a year we had 2 picks. It's not ideal but it won't be the world ender you think it is. A serviceable goalie can be gotten in free agency every single season.
The fact that serviceable goalies are so plentiful is why this pick is so pivotal. Personally I was very disappointed when the pick was made. If Cossa is anything shy of a Hall of Famer then I will be flat out pi**ed.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
The fact that serviceable goalies are so plentiful is why this pick is so pivotal. Personally I was very disappointed when the pick was made. If Cossa is anything shy of a Hall of Famer then I will be flat out pi**ed.
That’s a pretty lame take. Context matters. If he turns out to be a serviceable tender, and no one drafted after him amounts to much, I’d still call it a win.

Reactions: Oddbob

Spirit19

Feb 13, 2022
That’s a pretty lame take. Context matters. If he turns out to be a serviceable tender, and no one drafted after him amounts to much, I’d still call it a win.
I would consider that a lame take. No player after the 15th pick being any good? Come on. Numerous players after 15 will be hits. Taking a goalie at 15 is riverboat gambling. Frankly it is irresponsible.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I would consider that a lame take. No player after the 15th pick being any good? Come on. Numerous players after 15 will be hits. Taking a goalie at 15 is riverboat gambling. Frankly it is irresponsible.
Sorry. Calling your take “lame” was inappropriate. Obviously (at least likely), there will be more players who make it, but my point is simply that context is important when assessing these things. I don’t see why Cossa has to be a HHoF goaltender for this to be a worthwhile pick. Hardly any goalies make it into the HHoF, so it’s a strange bar to hold him to.

I admit I was firmly in the “Cossa over Wallstedt” camp prior to the draft, but if he can be our backstop for a significant stretch, get us into the playoffs consistently, maybe win a few rounds of playoff hockey, that’s a significant step up from where we’re at now.

I like trading up a lot better than trading down. It shows confidence in who we’re picking. I would’ve been pretty happy with any of Cossa, Wallstedt, Lysell, or Svechkov, but I was really hoping for Cossa.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Welcome back, Oaf.

I was surprised by the goalie pick because he just traded for Ned. Plus this team is still early in the rebuild process, so they should have picked BPA instead of trading up.

Definitely some FOMO drafting in the first 2 rounds.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Welcome back, Oaf.

I was surprised by the goalie pick because he just traded for Ned. Plus this team is still early in the rebuild process, so they should have picked BPA instead of trading up.

Definitely some FOMO drafting in the first 2 rounds.

Trading for Ned really wasn't against Cossa. We had two goalies nearing 35 old (Greiss & Bernier), so you had do something for that.

After trading 33-year-old Bernier's rights + 3rd to Carolina, we had:

35-year-old Greiss
25-year-old Nedelkovic
18-year-old Cossa

Yzerman quote:

"For us, we had a decision to make," Yzerman said. "We had Jonathan Bernier obviously here, was a pending UFA, and then again, had some discussions with Carolina regarding Alex and for us again, it's a chance to get a younger goaltender. The kids that we have in our system are probably a ways off from playing in the NHL, and we thought this was a good, with Thomas Greiss under contract for one more season, try to bring in a younger goaltender that has some upside and that has potential to be our starter for a number of years. [Nedeljkovic is] relatively inexperienced at the NHL level, but we think he's got real good potential and has a chance to play for us for a number of years."

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

Sebastian Cossa continues to provide a strong presence in goal for the powerful Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL. During his last seven games, Cossa has a record of 5-2-0 while lowering his GAA. In 32 games, Cossa now has a record of 23-6-3 with a 2.34 GAA, five shutouts, and a .914 SV%.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
There are several teams around the league that would disagree with this.
The 2-3 years after an expansion team enters the league, goaltending is always depleted. This year seems to be no exception and with all the down years from a lot of goaltenders, even more so.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Hall of Famer?
What if he's just an All-Star like Jonathan Quick who helps you win two cups?
There's a difference between serviceable, good, great and legend.
To go from serviceable to legend without acknowledging what's in in between can be very, very important is a weird leap.
It's weird that Wings fans who don't mind trading away picks for Leddy or Nedeljkovic are so adamant that it was a mistake to move up to trade a potential core goalie.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
That is a ridicules bar to set for Cossa. Since 1994 only 5 "modern day" goalies have been inducted into the Hall of Fame: Fuhr, Roy, Belfour, Hasek and Brodeur. Its a stupid bar for goalies. If he turns into a Vezina caliber goalie, I'd say the pick is a huge success.

With that said, I get your reservations in general about picking a goalie that high. I think Yzerman saw an empty cupboard and felt the need to fill it with the most sure thing he saw in the draft.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Even though it's frowned upon to speculate on how good or bad this pick is I'm endeavoring to post.

Cossa with b2b shutouts in round 2 of the WHL playoffs. Not too shabby regardless of how elite the team around him is (2nd OA in the W). 6-0 in playoffs. 1.00 GAA. .957 S%. Kid looks like he's playing well at the right time. Goalie of the month for April.

Can't say I'm disappointed. I hope he gets WJC action, that will be very telling indeed.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I’ve only watched highlights but he appears to be remarkably quick for his size. He does look a little awkward out there too but it gets the job done.

Nice to see him perform well so far under pressure. The prospects tourney and wjc left me pretty concerned about that. Hopefully he keeps it up

Reactions: bedtime20

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Pretty impressive playoff run so far. Those numbers go beyond “competent goalie on a great team.”

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Seems like he is enjoying some success, Goalies take forever but this is not bad news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad