23157003_10213523197207017_7195786010847040753_o.jpg

Reactions: Aeroforce

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tony LaRussa expected to join Red Sox organization

The Red Sox are expected to announce Thursday that Hall of Fame manager and former Diamondbacks executive Tony La Russa has joined the organization.

His exact role is unclear, but a source told the Herald that La Russa’s next stop will be in Boston following four years in Arizona’s front office, a stint as special assistant to the league’s commissioner, and 33 years as a manager in Chicago, Oakland and St. Louis.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Baseball (as you all know) is my 3rd sport, but here goes:

How does McCullers get the run in there, but Reddick cannot? Just putrid.

If you are Roberts/Darvish, how do you let Springer (probable MVP if HOU wins) beat you there with first base open?

If I am Hinch, I have a real quick hook with LM.

It’s only the second inning and Morrow looked real good. I might have let him hit there?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
4 HBP in 2+ innings. I get you have a 5 run lead, but how long can you leave McCullers in with no FB control?

He clearly did it on purpose to break the hearts of Dodgers fans as they were all stranded. :laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Congrats to the Astros. Great series. On to the offseason we go, should be interesting.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

23000272_10213524174271443_7202625678615176598_o.jpg

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
@Aeroforce happy for you.

What a great series. Probably my favorite non-Red Sox related world series since NYY/ARZ. Congrats to the city of Houston, they deserve it.

Thanks SO much!!

Gotta admit it was a bit of a nervous day, though not as bad as the night before Boston/Vancouver Game 7 when I couldn't sleep at all. I've followed the Astros since childhood (I'm 49) and there's been lots of 'close but no cigar' and even more 'not even close' seasons.

I remember losing to the Dodgers in 1980 (though the Astros won the one game playoff) and 1981. I remember that epic Game 6 vs. the Mets in 1986 that ultimately ended in heartbreak, amidst all the Mets' allegations of Mike Scott scuffling the ball (who they'd have faced in Game 7). I remember all the playoff flops of the Biggio/Bagwell era, bringing in Randy Johnson to no avail, and even 2005.

So I was guarding my heart for what history suggested would be another failure.

But not tonight - Charlie Brown finally kicked that football.

The hurricane angle, while real, has been played to death. So from a pure sports standpoint, this night was magical. I know Boston has had droughts with their pro teams.

But Houston? The only two championships the city has experienced were the back-to-back Rockets championships in '94 and '95. (I don't, but some even consider those 'asterisk' championships since Michael Jordan was on sabbatical; and of course I cherish Aeros' championships in the WHA, IHL, and AHL.)

My folks are getting up in years, but still doing well, thank God. My dad went to bad in the late innings, but my mom stayed up, donning one of my old Astros' t-shirts with #5 Bagwell on the back. So sharing it with her was fantastic.

The parade is Friday at 2. I'm still in a bit of disbelief. I know when I'm in that groggy state when I wake up tomorrow, I'm going to think I had the craziest dream that the Astros won the World Series. Then I'll wake up and realize - THEY DID!!!!!

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Astros have come a long way from their humble beginnings

@Aeroforce - Was Colt Stadium located where the football stadium is now?

23031670_10213523986986761_4404320467127647562_n.jpg

I wasn't sure, so I looked it up (it predates me slightly, as my first baseball game was at the Astrodome with JR Richard pitching).

Yes, that's exactly where it was. It's now where where NRG Stadium and the dilapidated Astrodome sit.

Hindsight being 20/20, when I see clips of hockey goalies playing without masks, I often ask myself, 'Why did it take so long to figure out that wasn't a very good idea?'

Likewise, when I see pics of baseball being played outdoors in Houston in the summer, I think 'Yeah, that's a great idea.' ;)

And speaking of great ideas, how about this SI cover from June 2014, when the Astros were terrible? Not only did the writer predict the 2017 championship, series MVP George Springer is on the cover.
10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i told yah I like Charlie Morton.

My favorite non Boston champions

Congrats to city of Houston hopefully this gives you positive karma to rebuild your great city

What a team

Dodgers team was very likeable as well but so glad for Astros

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Houston is where i set foot in America for the first time and it was the starting point of the trip of my lifetime. Impressive city in an even more impressive state.

Congrats Aeroforce.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tony LaRussa to work with Red Sox

As Alex Cora prepares for his first managing job with the Red Sox, he’ll have a Hall of Famer available as a resource.
A major league source confirmed that the Red Sox will announce the addition of Tony La Russa to their organization on Thursday. While La Russa’s exact title is not yet known, the Globe’s Nick Cafardo reported last month that the former White Sox, A’s, and Cardinals manager was looking to join an organization in an advisory capacity – a role in which he proved valuable to Diamondbacks first-year manager Torey Lovullo as well as Arizona’s front office in 2017.
“There’s nobody in baseball I respect more than Dave Dombrowski,” La Russa told Cafardo.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...ith-red-sox/2J8v2iWzr9hl0Emb20OHPK/story.html

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
So happy to see Houston pull it off. My dad is an Astros fan. He's also a Dallas Cowboys fan and a Canadiens fan. Not only has he seen those two win plenty, but I would never be able to stomach watching either of them win anything in my lifetime. I'm glad he got to see Houston win, and I'm glad I was able to cheer for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad