Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This penalty does nothing to affect their ability to compete this year, which is complete bull**** in my mind.

I think every player found to be involved should've gotten 20 games, and if that isn't possible, simply deduct 15 wins. Like when a soccer team is deducted points for financial foul play to ensure they are likely relegated.

But, MLB is a business much more so than the EFL or FA are, so they're not going to damage a franchise/market like that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the league was not going to suspend players. that would've set off a battle between the league and players union and it would've gotten messy

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Man I was so happy Beltran won a WS, but he can go f*** himself. I get that he's not going to be suspended as he was a player at the time, but still.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The other thing is reading the beat writers, they're all saying it's so harsh. I don't think it's that bad. They get to get the World Series, no players got in trouble, and it's a minimal suspension for the front office. If I'm Hinch I trade the suspension for the ring...

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The other thing is reading the beat writers, they're all saying it's so harsh. I don't think it's that bad. They get to get the World Series, no players got in trouble, and it's a minimal suspension for the front office. If I'm Hinch I trade the suspension for the ring...
yeah. i don't get how anyone can call this harsh

the worst thing for them was losing two first round picks. that'll do some damage to their farm system but again, who wouldn't trade that for a WS title?

Reactions: Evil Speaker

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Pretty much a nothingburger penalty. If I'm a team that's never won a World Series, I'm cheating hard from now on knowing you'll get to keep your championship.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Super weak penalty, especially compared to the penalty the Braves got.

Cheating is a slap on the wrist in MLB

If you asked any sports franchise in any league if they would trade two 1st, two 2nds and 5M for a championship every single one would say yes, and sign me up again next year.

Teams send more prospects and picks out every year at the trade deadline in the HOPES of maybe being a playoff contender and now MLB has just made it cheaper to find creative ways to cheat your way to the win

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
the league was not going to suspend players. that would've set off a battle between the league and players union and it would've gotten messy

And given the MLB's inevitable war with Minor League Baseball this year, the last thing they needed was another fight with the players association.

Anyway, I'm kinda relieved it's over. Astros needed the punishment, and you needed a precedent placed to try and discourage this, but it won't matter to other people who'll (rightfully and otherwise) want more and more kinds of punishment.

I just wants to know; does Cora get the lifetime ban?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
funny how pete rose was banned for life for betting on games but a team that cheats their way to a WS title gets a slap on the wrist

I'm not an Astro or Red Sock fan but yeah betting on games in which you are involved in and can manipulate is a lot worse than electronic sign stealing.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i feel bad for darvish

guy was convinced he was tipping his pitches in the WS and it took him an entire year to get back on track

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Talk about passing the buck - good lord. I posted earlier in the thread that Hinch was sympathetic, but you can also find exceedingly arrogant video from him back in the playoffs when he was asked about it. And Cora is being set up to be run over with a bulldozer.

f*** all of them.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Glad this is over. I like everyone was expecting more. I along with other Astros fans are pissed that Hinch and especially Luhnow got fired. Will those 2 find jobs elsewhere? Or will they be blacklisted? I think Luhnow would be worth hiring.
They’re done. I don’t think any franchise is going to want to employ cheaters who got caught red handed

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pretty much a nothingburger penalty. If I'm a team that's never won a World Series, I'm cheating hard from now on knowing you'll get to keep your championship.

Except as a GM and manager you don't want to get suspended and blackballed for life. PLAYERS it won't stop from cheating but it's gonna have to be more individualized and not something that is institutionalized.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Talk about passing the buck - good lord. I posted earlier in the thread that Hinch was sympathetic, but you can also find exceedingly arrogant video from him back in the playoffs when he was asked about it. And Cora is being set up to be run over with a bulldozer.

**** all of them.

Hinch's quotes from before pissed me off so much. Like I 100% can buy that it wasn't his idea and he even tried sabotaging the monitors to prevent it, but he knew they were cheating and were continuing to cheat and then feigned ignorance and didn't tell anyone. Just lol.

I can guarantee Hinch's comments will be the same " I am not a cheater and was strongly against the idea but I failed to properly report the illegal actions of a lower-level employee and players and for that I am sorry and accept responsibility". 100% that will be his statement.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
f*** MLB. f*** the Astros. And f*** Red Sox Houston is a class city with class people. I loved the brief time I was there. Boston the same but I haven't been there and have heard nothing but good. But their sports teams can go straight to hell. Boston is so consistently dirty it makes me sick.

Absolute f***ing joke that Hinch, Luhnow were not banned for life on top of the fine, on top of the picks and on top of a loss of free-agent rights. On that note, I hope Cora eats a lifetime ban.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think the punishments are appropriate. You can’t make them vacate a title or anything crazy like that.

I like that the MLB hands out pretty severe punishments for things they don’t want in the game anymore. PEDs(once they actually started caring about it), domestic violence, the Cardinals hacking thing, this mess with the Astros. Other leagues hand out incredibly soft punishments by comparison(which is why the Pats continue to cheat every season).

Fining organizations that bring in millions every season doesn’t do anything. Taking draft picks, lengthy suspensions, and firings is how you get someone’s attention.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think the punishments are appropriate. You can’t make them vacate a title or anything crazy like that.

I like that the MLB hands out pretty severe punishments for things they don’t want in the game anymore. PEDs(once they actually started caring about it), domestic violence, the Cardinals hacking thing, this mess with the Astros. Other leagues hand out incredibly soft punishments by comparison(which is why the Pats continue to cheat every season).

Fining organizations that bring in millions every season doesn’t do anything. Taking draft picks, lengthy suspensions, and firings is how you get someone’s attention.

Me too but this was not severe. The Astros are built well enough to where they could probably win the World Series legitimately this year in spite of the penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad