Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What a joke. MLB has given the green light to cheat at will with this pathetic slap on the wrist.

Also $5M to a team like the Astros is chump change.

Not far off from the DOJ giving billionaires million dollar fines for illegal activity.

Crane will shit out that 5 million by the time I get home from work today.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Typically The GM and coach will be held accountable since they are the captains of the ship, but its very clear based on what Passan tweeted that Cora was the center of this. His idea, he was the one who put the plan in motion - obviously Hinch had to approve it but it seems like this was all masterminded by Alex Cora.

Lifetime ban 100%. Anything less is a joke. Does not help that he continued this kind of crap when he went to Beantown.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the real limitations of the punishment will be even clearer when the Cora punishment is delivered. He'll either weirdly get something more than a year, or they'll make him the major scapegoat and ban him for life for doing it twice. Either way, I think that will put more emphasis on how these are harsh but not as harsh as they could be.

The language in the report is pretty clear in attributing clear blame and painting the (by now obvious) picture for how deep it goes, and while these suspensions aren't nothing, there's really nothing they can do for teams who lost to the cheaters in the playoffs/World Series. And the possible "rationalization," namely that everybody cheats if not to this extend, doesn't make MLB as a whole look much better.

I think they should have just went for the jugular and banned Luhnow for life. Manfred really goes after him in the report, and it's the furthest possibility for a severe punishment that stops short at messing with the titles, etc.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Honestly i still don't even understand how this can be a thing in 2020. Baseball should evolve, it sounds archaic to me.

Don't want to get signals stolen? Don't use them. Allow pitchers/catchers to wear a bluetooth earpiece and exchange info that way by speaking instead.

I think if you get your "signals stolen" - that's your fault and shouldn't be a punishable offense in 2020.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Honestly i still don't even understand how this can be a thing in 2020. Baseball should evolve, it sounds archaic to me.

Don't want to get signals stolen? Don't use them. Allow pitchers/catchers to wear a bluetooth earpiece and exchange info that way by speaking instead.

I think if you get your "signals stolen" - that's your fault and shouldn't be a punishable offense in 2020.

You're allowed to steal signs, but not allowed to use technology to steal signs.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Watching this conference and all I can think is that Cora is gonna get a lifetime ban. He's at least getting suspended as long as Hinch/Luhnow, and after that, what can Boston do? They have to fire him given this precedent.

I think the door is open to make Cora the major scapegoat for the entire scandal across baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Watching this conference and all I can think is that Cora is gonna get a lifetime ban. He's at least getting suspended as long as Hunch/Luhnow, and after that, what can Boston do? They have to fire him given this precedent.

I think the door is open to make Cora the major scapegoat for the entire scandal across baseball.
tenor.gif

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Ok, so Hinch and Luhnow are fired now. That changes my opinion on this slightly. I still think Manfred is a coward, but the Astros themselves threw down the hammer. Good job Houston owner.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder if the players will take any public accountability seeing as they get zero formal punishment. Probably not.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

You do know how baseball works, right? The catcher is set up inches away from the batter. He would hear any verbal signals from the catcher.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They are going to start using apple watches for signals in the near future.

Bill O'Brien outlasted Hinch :laugh::laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad