Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
That's it?

Coppolella got banned for life for doing less than this

Reactions: Voight

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This was not the harshest sports punishment ever. This feels like a slap on the wrist. Someone, either Luhnow or Hinch should have been banned for life. Nightengale talked out of his ass again, or it was f***ing twitter clickbait. Probably a combination of both.

Reactions: Roman Fell

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree it should be harsher – best guess at the rationale for the punishment is that it pretty much implicates the 2017 season/team/franchise as such, rather than the Coppolella situation, which at least in terms of the optics has much more of a rogue actor sense to me (although undoubtedly more were involved, and I should say my memory is hazy).

This seems like the closest MLB would come to putting an asterisk by the WS championship. I'm actually somewhat surprised it's this harsh.

SixStrings

Nov 7, 2019
It's good this happened but yes it feels like just a slap on a wrist for them. This has made me lose my respect for the Astros.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
LOL

this is the "harshest punishment ever?" go **** yourself MLB. this is barely even a slap on the wrist. what team wouldn't trade a couple 1st round picks and a 5M dollar fine for cheating to win a WS? hinch and cora should have been banned for life

of course MLB didn't do **** about this

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder if the Mets knew this when they decided to hire Beltran. Have fun with that I guess.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
What a joke. MLB has given the green light to cheat at will with this pathetic slap on the wrist.

Also $5M to a team like the Astros is chump change.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I wonder if the Mets knew this when they decided to hire Beltran. Have fun with that I guess.
nothing will happen to beltran

he was a player at the time and the league isn't going to suspend players connected to this

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The fine is actually the highest that MLB can give out. I think the biggest organizational penalty is the loss of the picks, which could be timed pretty poorly for the Astros in terms of trying to stay as competitive over the next five years or so.

I am curious if people think that the way this is being dispensed is basically an implicit asterisk on the title. There's no way MLB would strip them of it, but the report specifically mentions that the sign stealing happened in the playoffs, and they are holding the main leaders responsible in a way that's unprecedented, especially since the report makes it sound like Hinch wasn't even really actively a part of anything.

I think Alex Cora might end up with an even longer suspension or something more harsh. At the very least he has to get the same treatment as Hinch, but he created and implemented the key problem, and likely oversaw something similar in Boston. He might end up as the biggest scapegoat for all of it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It sounds like Cora might end up with a long suspension as well.

He should be banned for life considering Boston also stole signs.

Manfred is an absolute joke. Bans Coppolella for life yet these guys get a measly 1 year suspension and lose a couple of picks. Still keep those nice WS rings.

Astros cried foul when that guy from the Cards hacked into their computers....... yet get away with murder here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->