Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Well he's in a difficult spot because we are talking about his current teammates. Do people expect him to throw them under the bus? He's doing the right thing by being silent. And let's not forget that the 'system' was already well and truly in place by the time Verlander got there.

Being silent to protect teammates sure seems to contradict the talk about how they wish they'd stopped it. A number of guys had given the excuse of not liking it but being uncomfortable speaking up. Guess that was all BS eh?

You know what would get everyone to move on? If they just said, "we cheated. We may have been good enough to win the WS without cheating, but now we'll never know. We apologize to the fans and all our opponents for cheating.". Admitting their win was tainted would be a great start.

But these twits are still doing everything they can to cling to their achievements.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The league didn't protect Canha when he got beaned like 100 times last year for hurting feelings with bat flips. Why the hell should they protect blatant liars and cheaters?
I'm looking forward to some wild bench clearing brawls. Guys on other teams are pissed.

Reactions: TB12

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You know things start to seem fishy when you keep changing your excuse.

Altuve: my wife does not like my shirt off
Correa: he has a bad tattoo

Whats next?

Bregman: he doesn't like to go topless
Reddick: he was having a cold that day
Springer: it was fall, the weather does change
Verlander: such a rollcoaster of emotions that he didn't want guys jumping on him

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Altuve: my wife does not like my shirt off
Correa: he has a bad tattoo

Whats next?

Bregman: he doesn't like to go topless
Reddick: he was having a cold that day
Springer: it was fall, the weather does change
Verlander: such a rollcoaster of emotions that he didn't want guys jumping on him

the first excuse was actually he was shy. This is excuse number 3

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
altuve's gonna have to go out and get a sh**** collarbone tattoo now

or he could just post a picture of the tattoo he apparently has (he doesn't have one)

Reactions: Cassano

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
MLB is playing a very dangerous game here, instead of punishing the Astros they are putting it in the hands of the opposing teams.

How can they just walk out there looking all smug when they know **** is gonna hit the fan?
So when the first brawl breaks out how many guys are gonna go after Altuve and rip his jersey? Or sucker punch Bregman, Correa, Springer and Reddick?

It's gonna be like this for the whole season.

Reactions: TB12

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
MLB is playing a very dangerous game here, instead of punishing the Astros they are putting it in the hands of the opposing teams.

How can they just walk out there looking all smug when they know **** is gonna hit the fan?
So when the first brawl breaks out how many guys are gonna go after Altuve and rip his jersey? Or sucker punch Bregman, Correa, Springer and Reddick?

It's gonna be like this for the whole season.

I doubt it, honestly. Teams are going to be beaning and brawling? They think Houston won't retaliate back? Or MLB is going to sit back and let that kind of stuff happen? I bet they clamp down big time on any retribution. Why risk players getting hurt in brawls or beans, or suspended? Beat them on the field and the standings if teams want revenge. I'm also absolutely not convinced they were the only team doing things like this. Other than maybe the Yankees doing something I bet not much happens. But why risk a Judge or someone taking a retailiatory pitch in the knee that knocks them out for months?

Like others have said in this thread, baseball is a mess right now. They aren't going to want any goonery going on all season. This isn't the 1970s NHL.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The "no punishment" for the players might turn out to be worse than the punishment.

I think ultimately the worst punishment will be the court of public opinion. Those guys will never be looked at the same by their peers or the media or the fans at large ever again. Even years from now, post-retirement, it'd be tough to show up at some MLB event with guys who played against you, and they all think you're a lying cheat. If they never win another WS, everyone will say they weren't good enough to win without cheating. If they do win, a good portion of people will wonder if they cheated again ... and even if they don't think so, they won't forget what happened in 2017. You think any network wants to introduce an analyst as "5 time All-star and 2017 WS champion" on a broadcast? Or that a future team would want someone with that baggage as a manager? Hell no.

Sure, right now the Astros are trying to use it as motivation ("us against everyone!"), but that feeling is hard to keep going for long, especially when in your heart of hearts you know that you're guilty of the very thing people hate you for. I can't remember who, but years ago I read about someone who was a really good player but was widely hated for being a real jerk ... in his later days he was interviewed and he said the one thing he wished for the most every day was that the guys he played with would speak to him again. Time after time he'd run into someone from his playing days and they'd obviously recognize him ... but they wouldn't even nod hello and would just turn away. He dealt with that for decades and it ate at him.

And unless they plan to live the rest of their lives in Houston they'll have to deal with being called cheaters all the time when they're out in public. Hell, even in Houston they won't get away with it completely.

And how do you ever walk around with a 2017 ring? It's a badge of shame to the vast majority of sports fans at this point. You can bet there's a huge block of HOF voters who will never vote for one of those guys either.

The worst part would be raising kids, knowing that they're going to get taunted about how their dad is a cheater. And we all know that's going to happen. Can you imagine being Bregman Jr., and trying to even play little league ball, the razzing he'll take? But that's part of what these guys have cost themselves. If I were one of their kids, I'd want nothing to do with organized baseball, which for an MLB player who's a father would absolutely suck.

So no, I don't think these guys have escaped punishment. They may think they have gotten away with it right now, but I think in the long run they'll find out how much they've really cost themselves. A tainted WS ring won't be worth it.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
altuve's gonna have to go out and get a sh**** collarbone tattoo now

or he could just post a picture of the tattoo he apparently has (he doesn't have one)

Internet is already on the case, from 2019. No unfinished tattoo?

I don't normally watch baseball, but this is keeping me glued for all the wrong reasons. haha

EQ1pUOJXUAcEl_R

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny thing is even if you wanted to believe the dopey excuses (shy, a bad tattoo, a third nipple, whatever) that STILL doesn't explain why he had to go and change out of his jersey before doing an on-field interview.

Heh, now I kinda wish the Astros won instead. It would've been a much worse situation for them.

MLB really would have had to investigate 2019 and buzzergate if that happened.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well he's in a difficult spot because we are talking about his current teammates. Do people expect him to throw them under the bus? He's doing the right thing by being silent. And let's not forget that the 'system' was already well and truly in place by the time Verlander got there.

Of course, its just ironic as hell because he always acts like he is above cheating and stuff like that and is the first person to spit words out when a player gets caught for PED's. He acts like a the knight in shining armour and Mr. Integrity.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Internet is already on the case, from 2019. No unfinished tattoo?

I don't normally watch baseball, but this is keeping me glued for all the wrong reasons. haha

EQ1pUOJXUAcEl_R

Yea but wasn't the no shirt thing in October? So he could have got the tattoo between July and then.

Or was it Oct 2017? Getting the dates. confused now.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
well all he needs to do is post a picture of this bad tattoo. shouldn't be too hard right?

he's probably out getting it done right now

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
A
Yea but wasn't the no shirt thing in October? So he could have got the tattoo between July and then.

Or was it Oct 2017? Getting the dates. confused now.
Ah you're right. That was referring to the 2019 game. Either way, i'm curious on this tattoo now. And if he does get one to cover his tracks, how ugly it's gonna be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad