Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Calling it a medal would have been a lot better than what he said. He's a dope.

lol he just makes himself look worse and worse with each day

is there any way the owners could vote to remove him from office? i'm sure quite a few of them are not happy with how badly he's handled this whole thing

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Astros and Manfred have greatly underestimated how pissed off the rest of the league is. Wait for the fireworks!

teams should focus more on beating them on the scoreboard rather than trying to throw at them.

like, why give them free baserunners?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so what's today's version of the story behind altuve telling his teammates not to rip his jersey off?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
That's because cheaters justify it in their own minds by assuming everyone else is doing the same thing. But judging from the genuine anger, not everyone else was.

That's the thing though, maybe not everyone else was, but multiple other teams were, if we are to believe the original article in the Athletic. Why has everyone (by everyone I mean fans, media, some players) just swept all that under the rug where the Atheltic said this was "league-wide" and "not a one-team problem" and so on. In addition to pounding Manfred for more punishment to Houston, why aren't people pounding him to finish the Boston investigation, and look into what else the Athletic might have dug up? Or is he going to let this die at Houston and Boston? Do we need the Atheltic to put together another blockbuster article down the road because baseball again won't do what's right?

This crap isn't new but people are treating it like it is. NY and Boston were caught the year prior with the watches. The Dodgers were accused by the Brewers of using cameras to steal signs in the 2018 playoffs, and MLB barely looked into that. Since the Houston story broke many former players have come out and said things like this have been going on for years. The "outrage" now is getting almost as maddening as the initial revelations.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
That's the thing though, maybe not everyone else was, but multiple other teams were, if we are to believe the original article in the Athletic. Why has everyone (by everyone I mean fans, media, some players) just swept all that under the rug where the Atheltic said this was "league-wide" and "not a one-team problem" and so on.

It all would have been swept under the rug had Fiers not spoken up. The Astros aren't being singled out because people are out to get them, its because it's been corroborated by a member of the team.

Until there's further proof or corroboration for other teams, the whataboutism won't get the Astros or their fans far. And it sure doesn't help when the Astros apologize yet still claim they won it "fair and square." Or get indignant and try to play victim. They're practically inviting people to pile on with their smugness.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
It all would have been swept under the rug had Fiers not spoken up. The Astros aren't being singled out because people are out to get them, its because it's been corroborated by a member of the team.

Until there's further proof or corroboration for other teams, the whataboutism won't get the Astros or their fans far. And it sure doesn't help when the Astros apologize yet still claim they won it "fair and square." Or get indignant and try to play victim. They're practically inviting people to pile on with their smugness.

I get all that. But they've been caught, and punished. Maybe not to our satisfaction, but the investigation's been done. I wanted MLB or the investigation to reveal specifics. Like which games, or which plays, particularly in regards to the 2017 postseason, were the result of illegally stolen signs. But we didn't get that. So this talk of stripping titles is going to go nowhere.

I want to know what's next. You say until there's further proof on other teams. There already has been, with Boston and NY being fined quietly by MLB in 2018. I stress the "quietly" part of that. I do agree, there needs to be proof on anything else the Athletic might have known about. My concern is MLB pursuing this with equal vigor, if some bigger team names (in the eyes of baseball) are involved? Or are we stuck until the next whistleblower comes forward?

My team is hopefully moving towards contention after many years of being awful. I'd hate to see anything de-railed because of nonsense like this or because MLB wants to sweep this under the rug quickly. I want to know who else if any, was doing this, and what is baseball going to do going forward to stop it from happening again. And I want harsher punishments, at least comparable to players caught using PEDs. Suspensions in the 60-game range kind of thing.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Where are all those who criticized Fiers for going public now? Even after he did it, the commissioner gave out a joke of a punishment that leaves the other players fuming. Then he says don't retaliate or else. Then he insults the trophy the cheaters cheated to "win".

I want to punch that pos Manfred in the face more than any Astro player.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m going to predict that first few games Astros batters are going to get some chin music by opposing pitchers.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I like Correa saying Bellinger can't talk about it. :rolleyes: If I ever commit a felony, the legal system is not allowed to talk about it. ;)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Writers will go out of way to attack Bonds , Schilling , Clemens , etc but are treating commish with kid gloves

Why is there no wall to wall coverage on this? Where is the outrage that these writers have no shortage of when it comes to players like the one's I listed?

Manfred and Astros have disgraced game

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I get all that. But they've been caught, and punished. Maybe not to our satisfaction, but the investigation's been done. I wanted MLB or the investigation to reveal specifics. Like which games, or which plays, particularly in regards to the 2017 postseason, were the result of illegally stolen signs. But we didn't get that.

Well they wanted it to just go away, obviously. If they'd revealed, for example, that they were doing it at every home game during the playoffs, it looks pretty bad. But let's be real here, if they'd even done it for only, say, game 3 of the WS and not games 4 or 5 (even though it would be crazy to believe they would only cheat once), that game had a trickle down effect on the rest of the series in terms of bullpen use alone. Even if they didn't cheat in game 5 directly, I'd say game 5 was affected by game 3.

I think if the full scale of it had been revealed they'd have been in a position where players would have had to receive massive bans, and the WS win vacated. I don't think they wanted to go to that point. They figured they could scapegoat an already-retired player, a former bench coach, fire the GM and manager, and that'd be the end of that. And perhaps if the owner and the remaining players had played it humble and taken their lumps this year they'd be okay. But they've been so completely arrogant about it all, apologizing and then almost immediately nullifying those apologies with subsequent statements to try and justify their 2017 accomplishments, that even some pundits who thought the punishment was sufficient at first are now turning on them.

The Astros think they can control this narrative, and maybe among Astros diehards they can ... but there's 29 other teams and fanbases who are not going to let this go. Why should they? The Astros give a halfhearted apology, and now are acting like they did nothing wrong and that THEY'RE the real victims now.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Manfred has lost so much credibility and respect that he actually makes me appreciate Bud Selig which I didn’t think was possible. Manfred has proven throughout this whole process, and the other decisions he’s made up to this point, that he doesn’t understand what makes baseball such a great and treasured game. He certainly has done nothing to grow the game or improve it. I can only hope the owners are watching this carefully and take all of this into consideration when Manfred’s term expires in 2024.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
No, they don’t. They aren’t in the same spring training leagues either so we won’t see them on the same field together in an exhibition league. Although the All Star Game is at Dodger Stadium this year so I can only imagine what reception they’ll get.
So a mild chance of fireworks. Too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad