OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Trub's just not ready to start. He's a big arm and not much else.

"I can't wait until we get rid of Cutler, so we don't have to watch an insanely strong-armed QB in a Bears jersey make mistake after mistake and cost us games by trying to force big plays into complete coverage when they aren't there".
- Bears fans, probably.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Cobb had a huge game for GB.

If you ever want to see what running your heart out on two bad legs looks like, you can either watch the final scene of the movie Major League, or watch Cobb's 75 yard "sprint" to the endzone yesterday.

I hope Cobb can make it through the season without doing permanent damage to his ankle. He's so good at running routes and finding open space... It's a shame his career is going to be cut short due to wear & tear injuries.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He also has an ex named Kevin Lanflisi.
Looks like tabloidy nonsense, but even if true Kevin Lanflisi's a good looking dude. So, you go Aa-Rod.

Opening weekend thoughts, in bullet form:
  • LOL Browns. I was hosting a kickoff Sunday party and the room erupted in laughter when the kick was blocked. What a Brownsy thing to happen. And this is still their best start in years.
  • Saquon Barkley looks like the real deal. The Giants will have a much better offence this year because he'll prevent opposing teams from disrespecting the run game, which should open things up for OBJ, Shepard et al.
  • How does Ryan Fitzpatrick keep getting away with these bursts of magic? He reminds me of Alex Moran from Blue Mountain State – does just enough to make you think "Well, he's worth keeping around as a backup in case of emergency," but if he's starting you know you've screwed up. Until he pulls some BS like yesterday.
  • Congratulations to everyone reading this: you have more lifetime NFL Fantasy points than Nathan Peterman.
  • The Seahawks' line is abysmal and paper-thin and I can't WAIT to see my Rams tee off on Russell Wilson twice this season.
  • Khalil Mack, man. Animal.
  • Getting back to where this post started, Aaron Rodgers, man. Godly.
  • I'm currently undecided between rocking my Hekker or Donald jersey for tonight's game. Yes, I know everyone is holding their breath for this uber-important decision.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You have a jersey for a punter?

Amazing.
punters-are-people-too.jpg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nagy lost that on his play call.

Howard was carving the Packers up, worst case scenario you waste a GB timeout to stop the clock from the run.

Putting the Ball in Trubinsky's hands was suspect, at best.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nagy lost that on his play call.

Howard was carving the Packers up, worst case scenario you waste a GB timeout to stop the clock from the run.

Putting the Ball in Trubinsky's hands was suspect, at best.

Howard looked like a legit chain-pusher last night. He was almost an automatic 4+ yards every time he touched the ball, minimum.

Between the run game and the world-best D-line & LBs, the Bears should be a 10-win team this season at the very least.

... SHOULD. If they lean on Trubisky too much, and abandon their aggressive defensive scheme in favor of their terrible DBs (as a Packers fan, I am an authority terrible DBs, lol), they'll be lucky to win 7.

Nagy needs to play to his strengths. He did the opposite last night in the 2nd half.

NFC North is going to be a bloodbath this year. Not a bad team in the entire division.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The new Monday Night Football play-by-play announcer sounds like a bag of cats being drowned by a hobo on a secluded country river bank, and the hobo is huffing helium, and we're hearing all of it through a 1970's drive-through speaker.

He's the Paul Romanuk of football.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The new Monday Night Football play-by-play announcer sounds like a bag of cats being drowned by a hobo on a secluded country river bank, and the hobo is huffing helium, and we're hearing all of it through a 1970's drive-through speaker.

He's the Paul Romanuk of football.
Isn't that Beth Mowins? As in a woman? So SHE'S the Paul Romanuk of football?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Isn't that Beth Mowins? As in a woman? So SHE'S the Paul Romanuk of football?

Oh man, I thought it was a guy, lol.

She has a great handle of the game, but I am not a fan of that voice for 3 straight hours. It sucks, I really want to be behind a woman as the main voice of MNF.

Call me old fashioned, but making a 3+ hour broadcast of ANYTHING bearable is the job for a deeper voice. I don't care if it's a guy or a girl... just make it pleasant. Give me a Kathleen Turner-type any day over whoever it is they picked here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is the Jets D good, or does Stafford just suck?

The Packers fan in me wants to say the latter due to rivalry, but this Jets secondary looks pretty good, too.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I was gonna say this. Is he really this bad?

Man, I want to give Stafford some credit, but on his fourth interception tonight (fourth!!!), he threw it into what was effectively triple coverage. I mean, maybe that Jets secondary is good, but throwing into triple coverage is a good way to suck at football.

Stafford's third INT, he threw it directly at the Jets player. Like, he didn't even have to move. Just threw it right at him.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Rumours abound that the Jets had picked up on the Lions signals and so knew what the plays were going to be. Hopefully thats true for Staffords sake.

Hard to imagine what all the redneck football fans that couldnt vote for a woman president thought of a female announcer. Wonder if that irks them more than black guys taking a knee.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Never thought I'd see the day Trubisky throws for 250+ yards and 5 TD's to go along with 50+ rushing yards, let alone in the first 20 minutes of play time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad