OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Yeah they should have done something in central defense. Jones and Smalling are okay enough man markers. Not very mobile however and neither can move the ball at all. Blackett I rate and if he stays healthy he may surpass them. Evans isn't good while getting rid of Valencia ought to help with the defending. Dude is poor at everything now.

My greatest area of concern is the team is not good at either side of the transition game. Chelsea, City and Liverpool I can see carving them up.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Fantasy advice question - I can swap out Lukaku and Sturridge for Balotelli and Falcao, do I do it?

To me, Balotelli is a slight downgrade from Sturridge, but Falcao should do much better than Lukaku over the remainder of the season, no? I'm a bit of a new fan of Premier League football, so I could be way off here :laugh:

AHB*

Fantasy advice question - I can swap out Lukaku and Sturridge for Balotelli and Falcao, do I do it?

To me, Balotelli is a slight downgrade from Sturridge, but Falcao should do much better than Lukaku over the remainder of the season, no? I'm a bit of a new fan of Premier League football, so I could be way off here :laugh:

Two thoughts on this. Sturridge hasn't produced thus far, but certainly will this season. I think downgrading him to Balotelli is larger then you're implying.

Falcao is a great player, certainly better then Lukaku, but I don't know that I want to hedge my best on Man U this year, or when RVP comes back, how that playing time will be divided between he, Rooney and Falcao.

Mostly I feel like it's a move for the sake of making a move. New players also take time to mesh, so removing two top strikers from teams they've played on previously for two brand new strikers (albeit very good ones) seems unnecessary to me.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY

I wouldn't.

IMO Lukaku and Sturridge are both automatic starters (barring injury) for their clubs. I think Liverpool will play Balotelli a bunch, but they're still primarily going to play one striker, and it'll be Sturridge.

RE: Lukaku, Everton just played a ridiculously difficult three opponents, so while his point totals are a bit disappointing, I'd hold onto him at least for the next two weeks (West Brom & Crystal Palace). Also, I can't see Eto'o being a regular starter.

I think Falcao will do well, but hard to justify his fantasy price tag right now without seeing how he'll be used & effectiveness (and I'm a United fan).

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Thanks guys, think I'm gonna hold off on it. Falcao seems like a riskier move than I thought, and it kind of does seem like making a move just for the sake of making one.

Also, being a Liverpool fan, I don't really like the idea of rooting for ManU to score :p:

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Falcao is an animal and a much deadlier player than Rooney or Van Persie and with a guy like DiMaria feeding him the ball will be even more effective. Yes I think RVP and Rooney will give him some bench time and let's not forget he is still probably not 100% from that torn knee, but there isn't a single level or league in which Falcao hasn't scored in a voracious manner. In fact this is the best group of players Falcao has ever played with in a pro club. I think it will certainly not hurt him if say he plays with RVP. Their presence alone will benefit each other. It's hard to have a good CB let alone 2 to deal with these guys. I can drop Rooney a bit behind them and play all 3 of them. DiMaria right behind or alongside Rooney.

Vidic15*

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney drops back to the midfield. He distributes the ball well around the field. RVP's injury track record isn't too good, so Falcao should get the majority of playing time up front.

Rojo was finally granted his work permit today. That drops Evans to the bench, an immediate improvement on the back-end. Shaw and Rafael are ready to play, as well.

AHB*

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney drops back to the midfield. He distributes the ball well around the field. RVP's injury track record isn't too good, so Falcao should get the majority of playing time up front.

Rojo was finally granted his work permit today. That drops Evans to the bench, an immediate improvement on the back-end. Shaw and Rafael are ready to play, as well.

Rooney has said he doesn't like playing the mid-field. Either way, you have Di Maria and Mata on the wings. Mata is arguably their best player. One of RVP, Rooney or Falcao will be sitting at times. There's no way Rooney moves back. It's going to be a similar setup to Real Madrid, without the stellar defense.

At one time or another they have one of Bale, Ronaldo, James or Benzema sitting.

Vidic15*

Rooney has said he doesn't like playing the mid-field. Either way, you have Di Maria and Mata on the wings. Mata is arguably their best player. One of RVP, Rooney or Falcao will be sitting at times. There's no way Rooney moves back. It's going to be a similar setup to Real Madrid, without the stellar defense.

At one time or another they have one of Bale, Ronaldo, James or Benzema sitting.

I'd rather have Januzaj on the wing with Di Maria. Mata needs to drop back more and play a CM role rather than AM. Either way, it all depends on the formation.

AHB*

I'd rather have Januzaj on the wing with Di Maria. Mata needs to drop back more and play a CM role rather than AM. Either way, it all depends on the formation.

Mata plays much better as an AM then a CM. He also prefers that role.

BarbaraAlphanse

Van Gaal plays a 2-5-3.

Honestly, I think you're looking at a line up of:

Falcao - RS
RVP - LS

Rooney - RACM
Mata- LACM
Di Maria- LM
Herrera/Januzaj - RM
Blind/Carrick - CDM

Shaw - LD
Rojo - CD
God Help US - RD

De Gea

Valencia & Young as subs.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Van Gaal plays a 2-5-3.

Honestly, I think you're looking at a line up of:

Falcao - RS
RVP - LS

Rooney - RACM
Mata- LACM
Di Maria- LM
Herrera/Januzaj - RM
Blind/Carrick - CDM

Shaw - LD
Rojo - CD
God Help US - RD

De Gea

Valencia & Young as subs.

That's pretty similar to what Bayern has done the past few years. The LB and RB would play so far up.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Daniel Taylor in the Guardian last week said MU don't see Rooney as a midfielder because his short passing game isn't good enough. I agree. Ideally if everybody is healthy Rooney gets dropped, imo. Mata is a better 10.

BarbaraAlphanse

When Van Gaal was rumored to be the front runner of the Man Utd coaching search several months ago, many outlets reported that Rooney's time at United were ending.

Rooney has been on the decline for several years now.

I imagine that he will be moved either in the January transfer deadline or next summer's window.

I imagine that United progress back to their roots, which were two pure strikers that don't have question marks about their ability to finish (which Rooney has had now for at least a year and a half), and a superb midfield presence.

I'd wonder if United transfer out Rooney and invest in someone like Strootman. Guy was on path to becoming a star up until he tore his ACL. Great midi.

Complete overhaul. 75% of it was done this window. More to come. I imagine a 4th place finish this year, securing a Champions league birth again, and then another big summer of activity next summer.

Need a RD, probably a young dangerous striker, and several more midfielders to replace Young and Valencia and perhaps even Herrera/Januzaj if they don't perform.

Vidic15*

When Van Gaal was rumored to be the front runner of the Man Utd coaching search several months ago, many outlets reported that Rooney's time at United were ending.

Rooney has been on the decline for several years now.

I imagine that he will be moved either in the January transfer deadline or next summer's window.

I imagine that United progress back to their roots, which were two pure strikers that don't have question marks about their ability to finish (which Rooney has had now for at least a year and a half), and a superb midfield presence.

I'd wonder if United transfer out Rooney and invest in someone like Strootman. Guy was on path to becoming a star up until he tore his ACL. Great midi.

Complete overhaul. 75% of it was done this window. More to come. I imagine a 4th place finish this year, securing a Champions league birth again, and then another big summer of activity next summer.

Need a RD, probably a young dangerous striker, and several more midfielders to replace Young and Valencia and perhaps even Herrera/Januzaj if they don't perform.

United are maybe 50% complete of an overhaul.

Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson are out of contracts at the end of the season and need to be let go.

Hernandez comes back from his loan at season's end.

Young, Valencia, Fellaini need to be loaned or sold.

There's still quite a bit of trash to take out. Giving up on Herrera and Januzaj would be insane at this point. Herrera we just bought and Januzaj is only 19.

BarbaraAlphanse

United are maybe 50% complete of an overhaul.

Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson are out of contracts at the end of the season and need to be let go.

Hernandez comes back from his loan at season's end.

Young, Valencia, Fellaini need to be loaned or sold.

There's still quite a bit of trash to take out. Giving up on Herrera and Januzaj would be insane at this point. Herrera we just bought and Januzaj is only 19.

Completely forgot Fellaini was still on the squad. Can't believe he was the main guy that Moyes brought in.

Not giving up on Herrera or Januzaj... actually, believe that Januzaj could eventually develop into a star once he gets stronger and can endure for longer than 60 minutes.

But to not admit that they're both somewhat big risks is foolish. Strootman would be better suited for our CAM that Rooney is feared to not be able to handle. Van Gaal loves him.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Allegedly Moyes completely modernized global scouting. Hoping that will help identify future Vidic- Evra- like signings, not well known types who develop into international class players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad