OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah, guys like Fletcher and Anderson have no business on the Reds. I would be shocked if they could pull off a Di Maria buy. Rojo and Vidal are far more realistic targets.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Opening weekend in England :jump::scared:

As for the MLS, I'm gonna be all over NYCFC when they come out. I've never been that into the Red Bull and I practically grew up in Yankee Stadium. The ownership thing is no issue. I'm a Liverpool and Yankees fan despite Liverpool being owned by the Red Sox, this is nothing in comparison. Besides, I've never hated City. They're not allies by any means but it pales in comparison to what I feel for Arsenal, Man United, and the other ones who shall not be mentioned.

As an nyrb fan, but more importantly an MLS supporter...I'm glad you're gonna be all over nycfc. I can't wait for this rivalry

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, guys like Fletcher and Anderson have no business on the Reds. I would be shocked if they could pull off a Di Maria buy. Rojo and Vidal are far more realistic targets.

Fletcher before his illness, and even now, is a Man Utd caliber player.

Anderson, shame it didn't work out, he is not.

If SOMEHOW our ****ing executive director signs 2 of Di Maria, Khedira, Benatia I would be ecstatic.

I really think we will snag up Di Maria by Monday.

I'm not a huge fan of Vidal and anyway looks like he will stay.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Di Maria is nice and all, but he's not going to put out the gigantic tire fire in Manchester United by himself. For the transfer fee paid for Di Maria, I would've gone out and gotten Hummels and Benatia to address the back line, and gone a little cheaper on midfield.

Thing is now, where does Di Maria play? In a 3-5-2, Mata would play the right flank, with Rooney/RVP/Welbeck/Chicharito up top. Even in a 4-5-1, Rooney and Mata would take up the false 9 role. Can Di Maria play the left? My point is, someone will be playing out of position.

Vidic15*

Di Maria is nice and all, but he's not going to put out the gigantic tire fire in Manchester United by himself. For the transfer fee paid for Di Maria, I would've gone out and gotten Hummels and Benatia to address the back line, and gone a little cheaper on midfield.

Thing is now, where does Di Maria play? In a 3-5-2, Mata would play the right flank, with Rooney/RVP/Welbeck/Chicharito up top. Even in a 4-5-1, Rooney and Mata would take up the false 9 role. Can Di Maria play the left? My point is, someone will be playing out of position.

So easy to throw out names. How do you know those players want to come to United? CL football is important to a lot of players. Klopp certainly isn't the type to let an important piece like Hummels go easily. Benatia is going to Bayern. He wanted CL football.

Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria and possibly Vidal on the way. I'd say that's a pretty good transfer window. Can't rebuild a squad entirely in one window.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So easy to throw out names. How do you know those players want to come to United? CL football is important to a lot of players. Klopp certainly isn't the type to let an important piece like Hummels go easily. Benatia is going to Bayern. He wanted CL football.

Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria and possibly Vidal on the way. I'd say that's a pretty good transfer window. Can't rebuild a squad entirely in one window.

I'm not just throwing out names. Both defenders have been heavily linked to United. As you mentioned, no CL games is probably the huge block to making serious bids to those players. Vidal would be a wonderful signing, but he won't be cheap. The defensive corps still needs a lot of work.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I'm not just throwing out names. Both defenders have been heavily linked to United. As you mentioned, no CL games is probably the huge block to making serious bids to those players. Vidal would be a wonderful signing, but he won't be cheap. The defensive corps still needs a lot of work.

At least for Hummels it was only the English media making things up to generate clicks. Anybody in Germany knows that there was absolutely no doubt that Hummels would stay this summer.

And what a great win for Malmö! Finally a Swedish team in the CL group stage again and stupid RB kicked out!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Big test for Pool this week at Spurs. Watching LFC play defense makes me love McDonagh that much more.

As an nyrb fan, but more importantly an MLS supporter...I'm glad you're gonna be all over nycfc. I can't wait for this rivalry

It's gonna be a hell of a time :yo:

Annoying my NYRB fan friends, games at the Stadium, trying to actually like Frank Lampard :laugh: ....tons to look forward to.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Negredo probably gets loaned if Falcao moves in.

And then Dzeko becomes their #4, who would be the #1 on every BPL team except Chelsea, Liverpool, United, and maybe Everton. If anything, that makes it even more sickening :laugh:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
City buying Falcao would make me sick. I think he stays and moves in the winter window, if anything.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hell yea, about Falcao. Still need help on defense. A lot of help.

Was hoping Hummels could have gotten signed. Didn't even think Falcao was an option. Took it as a foregone conclusion that he was going to City.

I'd guess that the line up for the rest of the season, barring any late big time moves:

LS: RVP
RS: Falcao

LM: Di Maria
RW: Herrera

LCM: Mata
RCM: Rooney

CDM: Blind

LB: Shaw
CB: Rojo
RB: God Help Us

G: De Gea

Bench: Januzaj, Valencia, Young

Can see us signing Strootman in the January window. He would be a better RM option than Herrera.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
I love this move. No matter what kind of depth you have, when a player who is better than them becomes available, you have to get him. Di Maria + Falcao are so much better than the dross midfielders + Wayne Rooney. Hopeful that LVG will be allowed to drop Rooney when he sees fit. Even if RVP may have knee surgery soon.

I'd love to see Mata and Januzaj linking Falcao with di Maria.

Also hope LVG is already thinking about moving Shaw to left mid/wing.

Last edited:

AHB*

I love this move. No matter what kind of depth you have, when a player who is better than them becomes available, you have to get him. Di Maria + Falcao are so much better than the dross midfielders + Wayne Rooney. Hopeful that LVG will be allowed to drop Rooney when he sees fit. Even if RVP may have knee surgery soon.

I'd love to see Mata and Januzaj linking Falcao with di Maria.

Also hope LVG is already thinking about moving Shaw to left mid/wing.

You're right, those moves up front are fantastic, however, the major problem is the fact that they completely failed (up to this point) to address their defense, which is currently atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad