OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Great game last night in Philly..... I wonder how many NY supporters were there on a Wednesday night....

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
5 wins in 21 games for us yet the team is in decent shape to make the playoffs. Thank god the east is a dumpster fire. When Champions League kicks in and the schedule gets hectic, NYRB might start to get punished for all of these points dropped so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Opening weekend in England :jump::scared:

As for the MLS, I'm gonna be all over NYCFC when they come out. I've never been that into the Red Bull and I practically grew up in Yankee Stadium. The ownership thing is no issue. I'm a Liverpool and Yankees fan despite Liverpool being owned by the Red Sox, this is nothing in comparison. Besides, I've never hated City. They're not allies by any means but it pales in comparison to what I feel for Arsenal, Man United, and the other ones who shall not be mentioned.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
im not a fan of any english club but im looking forward to the EPL to begin. fall weeekends are awesome with soccer in the AM, then college football on sat afternoons, and NFL on sunday afternoons, and then NY rangers at 7pm :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
im not a fan of any english club but im looking forward to the EPL to begin. fall weeekends are awesome with soccer in the AM, then college football on sat afternoons, and NFL on sunday afternoons, and then NY rangers at 7pm :)

Ugh yeah those triple-header Sundays, I'm getting too old for those :laugh:

AHB*

I see NYCFC is taking the same approach as their English parent club: BUY. LITERALLY. EVERYTHING.

Because they bought two players? First off, you can only have three. As a new team in NYC, they need to sell the club somehow. Most teams have 3 DP's anyway. Villa and Lampard are very good signings for MLS. In fact, I think it's a much wiser way to spend those spots then many teams in the league.

Regardless, as someone above said, MLS doesn't work like that and how the rest of their roster fills out will determine how good they'll be.

Least logical thing I've ever heard

Lampard made some stupid comments 15 years ago when he was like 20, after 9/11. Some people never get over anything nor do they put it in perspective. Many of us say and do dumb things in our youth. Regardless, Lampard for the most part has been a class player and he's very talented. While aging, I'm excited to see him and Villa team up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Lampard made some stupid comments 15 years ago when he was like 20, after 9/11. Some people never get over anything nor do they put it in perspective. Many of us say and do dumb things in our youth. Regardless, Lampard for the most part has been a class player and he's very talented. While aging, I'm excited to see him and Villa team up.

I hold no grudge towards Lampard's comments, as you said he was young and people say stupid stuff all the time. Just wasn't a fan of him as a player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because they bought two players? First off, you can only have three. As a new team in NYC, they need to sell the club somehow. Most teams have 3 DP's anyway. Villa and Lampard are very good signings for MLS. In fact, I think it's a much wiser way to spend those spots then many teams in the league.

Regardless, as someone above said, MLS doesn't work like that and how the rest of their roster fills out will determine how good they'll be.

I was just joking, as I said I'm going to support City USA and have no problem with the original City.

AHB*

I hold no grudge towards Lampard's comments, as you said he was young and people say stupid stuff all the time. Just wasn't a fan of him as a player.

He is a legendary player. I don't see how you can't respect him on the field. Personality wise, sure, as a player, the guy is a living legend.

BarbaraAlphanse

My gf's dad is a huge Spurs fan. In his words "nothing more satisfying for the whole football world than watching Manchester United suck".

I'd assume that this is in the event that Arsenal couldn't provide that for him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My gf's dad is a huge Spurs fan. In his words "nothing more satisfying for the whole football world than watching Manchester United suck".

I'd assume that this is in the event that Arsenal couldn't provide that for him.

I love watching United lose, but not even close to Chelsea.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Another overrated English player in my eyes.

He is a legend in the context of EPL (and maybe English National team, just based on the number of his appearances).

I'm watching recording of Chelsea's game. That assist by Fabregas (and the whole development starting with Hazard's and ending Schurrle's runs) was spectacular!

Last edited:

Vidic15*

Spurs have won exactly jack **** for a long time. Tottenham have become the butt of jokes when it comes to mediocrity, even in Hollywood. See 'In Bruges' museum scene.

With that being said, United have to buy. Marcos Rojo is a done deal. He's flying to Manchester tomorrow. He plays LCB and LB. I expect Benatia, Vidal and Di Maria to follow.

AHB*

He is a legend in the context of EPL (and maybe English National team, just based on the number of his appearances).

I'm watching recording of Chelsea's game. That assist by Fabregas (and the whole development starting with Hazard's and ending Schurrle's runs) was spectacular!

Yea it was against Burnley though. We'll see how they fare against better squads.

Manchester United lost against Swansea.

:cry:

The team as constructed is not built well. There's a lot of guys filling out the squad that aren't "Man U Worthy" per se.

Maybe the move for Rojo will help today and obviously getting RVP back will significantly strengthen their offense.

Still they need to start buying or breeding some better players. Having Shaw and Januzaj is a good start. Maybe one or both will develop into stars. But they have too many subs who aren't talented enough to make a difference and a few starters who shouldn't be on a club like Man U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad