OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Last night's game was entirely uninspiring given that the opponent wasn't even on the level of an MLS squad.

That said, I don't think I can complain after how well everything else went this summer. USMNT isn't going to be trying to break down shelling teams at the world cup for the most part anyways.

Josh Sargent continues to not impress me. Dest looks like he doesn't know how to play in a non Barcelona system.

I'm glad there are a lot of games in qualifying because this group needs to build some serious chemistry.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Last night's game was entirely uninspiring given that the opponent wasn't even on the level of an MLS squad.

That said, I don't think I can complain after how well everything else went this summer. USMNT isn't going to be trying to break down shelling teams at the world cup for the most part anyways.

Josh Sargent continues to not impress me. Dest looks like he doesn't know how to play in a non Barcelona system.

I'm glad there are a lot of games in qualifying because this group needs to build some serious chemistry.
I guess it's good for them to get real experience playing away games in CONCACAF qualifying. Not Gold Cup shit, but the real deal, WC qualifying. That's about all I can say, LOL.

I have been so disappointed in Sargent for a while now. He has all the tools to be successful but just can't put it together. The finishing just isn't there, which obviously given his role is...problematic. I agree on Dest, as well. I think our team as otherwise constructed just doesn't really have a position that he can play where he's utilizing his strengths. He ends up being ineffective up top and a liability everywhere else.

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Like to see Pefok getting a chance, but losing Reyna to injury sucks and WTF is going on with Weston McKennie- he's off the team for a disciplinary issue apparently.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We are one half away from seeing Bradley and Altidore called up out of pure desperation next window.

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i lose my mind with these fraudiola's who think they are some master tacticians with bizarre lineups and playing from the back to the detriment of the team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Frankly they should hire Jesse Marsch tomorrow if he’d take the gig

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Goal notwithstanding, the guys are pressing sooo bad. When they do move the ball, you see these heavy touches, guys hesitating, etc. They're committing frustration fouls left and right. Just looking generally like the pressure is getting to them.

And the pressure only gets worse the longer you go without picking up 3 points.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
i lose my mind with these fraudiola's who think they are some master tacticians with bizarre lineups and playing from the back to the detriment of the team.
mikel-arteta-arsenal-2019-20_1y6lvgzsckmo1ld5w4uhuvzqs.jpg

Reactions: ecemleafs

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Mourinho got my Roma humming along... but the real test will be matchups against the top Italian clubs. Was Roma's weakness under Fonseca, much like the Rangers last season lol

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
NYCFC wins the east! talles magno scored an 88th min winner against covid stricken philly union in the eastern final. nycfc plays portland in portland on saturday.
Would be interesting to see how much the area cares about this this week. I would venture to guess not much but still.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Would be interesting to see how much the area cares about this this week. I would venture to guess not much but still.
Zero

They play in the worst stadium in MLS - baseball dirt - shortened field etc …

Awful name too NYCFC - garbage …

Even more embarrassing is MLS fan bases trying to Euroize their fan watching experience- singing - drums - chants - completely un American.
We don’t sing -, we Chant USA over n over like simpletons.

I’m old enough to have watched and attended NASL games - Cosmos - Rowdies etc

I don’t recall trying to be “ European “

The league was freewheeling… and basically gave birth to Steve Zungul - the MISL and NY Arrows.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Zero

They play in the worst stadium in MLS - baseball dirt - shortened field etc …

Awful name too NYCFC - garbage …

Even more embarrassing is MLS fan bases trying to Euroize their fan watching experience- singing - drums - chants - completely un American.
We don’t sing -, we Chant USA over n over like simpletons.

I’m old enough to have watched and attended NASL games - Cosmos - Rowdies etc

I don’t recall trying to be “ European “

The league was freewheeling… and basically gave birth to Steve Zungul - the MISL and NY Arrows.
Can't speak for NYCFC, but supporting DC United since their inception, no one has tried to "Europeanize" the experience. At DCU games, the driving force behind the supporter groups were South/Central American immigrants or individuals descended from those countries, as well as some Eastern Europeans. They were/are just doing as they normally would at a football match. Even the singing and chanting, that's pretty commonplace at college sporting events here, so I don't think it's something foreign to North American sports.

But also...who cares? Seems like an odd thing to be bothered by. If that's how people want to enjoy a game, what's the harm?

Reactions: CasusBelli

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Can't speak for NYCFC, but supporting DC United since their inception, no one has tried to "Europeanize" the experience. At DCU games, the driving force behind the supporter groups were South/Central American immigrants or individuals descended from those countries, as well as some Eastern Europeans. They were/are just doing as they normally would at a football match. Even the singing and chanting, that's pretty commonplace at college sporting events here, so I don't think it's something foreign to North American sports.

But also...who cares? Seems like an odd thing to be bothered by. If that's how people want to enjoy a game, what's the harm?
Bro … stop

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021

And I can respect what you said about those Central American traditions.

I was a Big Ben Olsen fan for many years btw .
Watched him blow that knee out - killer.

I also watched a lot of Etcheverry in his prime .

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Don't care about the fan experience so much but the team names are brutal. Real Salt Lake, really? Awful whether you use the english or spanish meaning. But at least I get the rare opportunity to up the Irons. :)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't care about the fan experience so much but the team names are brutal. Real Salt Lake, really? Awful whether you use the english or spanish meaning. But at least I get the rare opportunity to up the Irons. :)
Yes, I will absolutely grant that the names in many cases are horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad