OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Ehh I really don't think it's the NHL/NBA equivalent everyone wants to make it. It's more akin to the NCAA. Imagine if the top 15 college basketball teams just formed a pact that they'd play the season as usual, but no matter the results those 15 plus 5 invites would be the NCAA tourney every year.

The biggest issue structurally (setting aside the FU to fans) is it devalues and completely changes the domestic league without consultation.

Right now City and United are the only ones statistically able to win the title. And its a long shot for United. For Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, there would be asbolutely nothing to play for with a Super League. For some of them the domestic season would have been meaningless for months.

I guess West Ham, Leicester, Everton would be battling for some CL spots? Mixed with a bunch of aforementioned teams that have nothing to play for. How obnoxious would it be for Leicester to finish above everyone bar United & City, but not get into the top league?

The big advantage to the way it was setup was that you could argue that probably 15 teams had something to go for all season, even to the end. Top 4, plus 6-10 were within 5 pts of Europa spot. 3 relegated plus 2 just snuck by.
I don't think the 15 original teams forming this new league care much about fairness, more so about increasing profits for themselves, and them alone.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@darko
tenor.gif

Reactions: darko

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I seriously doubt this Super League ever gets off the ground.

The largest Liverpool supports club has already pulled their flags rom the Kop and a prominent LFC fan-run talk show has promised a riot at Anfield Road.

I think the owners are seriously underestimating the backlash. It's going to be enough to hurt the bottom line.

thank god this got crushed

Reactions: Machinehead

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Pulisic with a goal for Chelsea. Don't care which team, just happy a USMNT player has continued success at the highest levels

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
As a Chelsea fan, I just lost patience with Werner. Yes, he is good, but mentally as weak as Howden´s stickhandling. He had 29 high danger chances this year. Scored 8, missed 21. At some point, the patience just runs out. Especially since it might cost us the final.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
As a Chelsea fan, I just lost patience with Werner. Yes, he is good, but mentally as weak as Howden´s stickhandling. He had 29 high danger chances this year. Scored 8, missed 21. At some point, the patience just runs out. Especially since it might cost us the final.

He was very good for Leipzig but probably should have stayed there.

He wasn't able to make much of an impression for team Germany at the highest level either. I think he's just in a tier below.

Reactions: ecemleafs

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
He was very good for Leipzig but probably should have stayed there.

He wasn't able to make much of an impression for team Germany at the highest level either. I think he's just in a tier below.
he was very good in leipzig but absolute trash for chelsea. he does seem to be mentally weak in soccer terms. i remember some issue with him and his mindset being a problem for the german national team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The number of players 25 and under in the USMNT pool playing for good European teams right now has me extremely enthusiastic.

There might be a time when the national team actually has a choice of roster and formations, rather than just trying to fit all of their only 8-9 world cup level players on the field at any given time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No love for our lads after last night? Nice to see the whole group together playing a solid match and actually doing enough to come out on top against Mexico for once. f***ing sweet victory that was.

McKenzie though, woof. :laugh: He was involved directly in both goals against, the called back goal, and the penalty at the end. I like the guy's future chances but damn. I was waiting for Miazga to come in.

Finally, and I don't usually generalize fans, but the Mexican fans are horrible. It's every game they're doing something awful. What's wrong with them? CONCACAF needs to start making them play home games with an empty Estadio Azteca and fining the federation substantially.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
No love for our lads after last night? Nice to see the whole group together playing a solid match and actually doing enough to come out on top against Mexico for once. f***ing sweet victory that was.

McKenzie though, woof. :laugh: He was involved directly in both goals against, the called back goal, and the penalty at the end. I like the guy's future chances but damn. I was waiting for Miazga to come in.

Finally, and I don't usually generalize fans, but the Mexican fans are horrible. It's every game they're doing something awful. What's wrong with them? CONCACAF needs to start making them play home games with an empty Estadio Azteca and fining the federation substantially.

Agreed.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

The team and their fanbase are just so unlikeable.

Mexico could play an exhibition against North Korea and I'd root for North Korea to win.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Glad that Afro-Gauls are out. Dreadful football to watch, always been under Deschamps and with this group. When Olly G is your most entertaining player (love him BTW)... We'll be spared the two-bob Pogba drama (and haircuts), Mbappe can get back to his fam deciding which oil-pumping state-backed "project" they'll sign with next.
They've been basically cruising on the back of their collective class/ability, only tightening up their game rather that try and use all the talent available for something positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad