OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
B yeah.

Hoppe, Acosta, and Turner made pretty big pitches to be on the bench for the A squad this tournament though.
Acosta should be starting over that bum Bradley any day of the week. He was absolutely incredible last night and had a good overall tournament.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Did US have any of their top starters play? Mexico had most of them in it seemed.
Zardes is probably the most prominent guy that was on the pitch in terms of USMNT caps. Arriola has gotten good reps for the team as well. Lletget and Acosta. It's not their "big guns" by any stretch, though. They were missing the guys like Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Brooks, Sargent, Weah, Reyna, etc. Most of younger stars and their older, established rocks. Basically some regulars but also mainly guys far down the depth charts.

It would be like if we won a game with Kreider, Strome, Rooney, Lindgren, Georgiev and literally the rest AHL players.

Reactions: romba

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Pulisic-???-Reyna

McKennie-Adams-Acosta

Robinson-Brooks-???-Dest

So yeah the big questions for World Cup qualifying and then the cup itself is who plays center forward, and how does the US fit a unique attacking talent like Dest into the lineup without him being a defensive trainwreck.

Sargent, Altidore, Zardes fight for center forward. Zimmerman, Miazga, Ream compete to partner with Brooks until Long is healthy.

Weah, Hoppe, Yedlin speed options off the bench.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Pulisic-???-Reyna

McKennie-Adams-Acosta

Robinson-Brooks-???-Dest

So yeah the big questions for World Cup qualifying and then the cup itself is who plays center forward, and how does the US fit a unique attacking talent like Dest into the lineup without him being a defensive trainwreck.

Sargent, Altidore, Zardes fight for center forward. Zimmerman, Miazga, Ream compete to partner with Brooks until Long is healthy.

I know it may not be popular, but based on the personnel now, a 3-4-3 would work best. It's a very hard formation to play well and effectively on the defensive end though. For fun, I'd go:

Pulisic-Sargent-Arreola

Reyna
McKennie Dest (drifts right)
Adams

Robinson-Brooks- Zimmerman

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know it may not be popular, but based on the personnel now, a 3-4-3 would work best. It's a very hard formation to play well and effectively on the defensive end though. For fun, I'd go:

Pulisic-Sargent-Arreola

Reyna
McKennie Dest (drifts right)
Adams

Robinson-Brooks- Zimmerman

Maybe. Trick is most of the skill of this group is in the attacking wings and the central midfielders, which I think lends to a 4-3-3.

I think Pulisic-Reyna on the wings will be the US's Ribery-Robben for the next decade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pulisic-???-Reyna

McKennie-Adams-Acosta

Robinson-Brooks-???-Dest

You know who was a revelation for me was Shaq Moore. I really like his work rate and skill. Of course if you're already trying to figure out how to plug in Dest on that back line, there's no room for Moore. I like him as a deputy for someone on that back line, though. I don't know how he'd hold up in a more central role, though.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
And as #10 comes on the pitch for perhaps his final time with Tottenham, the Spurs away supporters greet him with:

Harry Kane is looking for gold.

Classic.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
USMNT roster for world cup qualifying looks tailor made for a 4-3-3 formation.

Kind of disappointed Hoppe didn't make the team, but that's my only critique.

If Sargent has a rough start I wouldn't be surprised to see a false 9 like Weah in the center of the front 3.

Pulisic-Sargent-Reyna

McKennie-LLeget
Adams

Cannon-Brooks-Zimmerman-Dest

Still don't love Dest at right back, but the glut of wingers kind of makes it necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad