Sportsnet: Asset-stacked Senators need willing partners if there’s to be trade frenzy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So does this apply to all GMs or just Dorion.
Other than Kyle Clifford no rentals have moved since Taylor Hall.
This is HFSens, so yes, in this case this applies to Dorion. If I posted it in the "Around the NHL" thread, then I would be talking about GMs around the league.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Two strategies that I would consider based on our current situation. We are very very deep, with many very good prospects but lack elite prospects. We also have a financial situation to consider so we'll likely always need to "re-stock" as years go by.

1. Trade assets now for better future picks than what you'd get currently. Offered a 4th for Ennis? Negotiate it into a 3rd in 2021 or 2022. Etc. That way we can take advantage of being fully stocked now and maximize what we get later.
2. Get what you can and then parlay multiple assets into fewer more valuable assets. Harder to do, but teams like picks and get arrogant with them. We are in a spot where we have the quantity, lack quality. So find someone who wants lots of picks and move quantity for quality. This rarely works for players, but can work for draft picks.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Asset stacked doesn't mean HHOFers. You have to keep getting picks for players you do not need to insure you have more options.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, I think we have a couple different tiers of trade assets;

Tier 1 - pace production
Pageau : 31 g, 51 pts
Duclair : 31 g, 50 pts
Tierney : 14 g, 42 pts
DeMelo : 0g, 17 pts

These guys have value short and longer term to a team acquiring them. Might mean a premium asset in a trade, like a late first, good prospect or a 2nd+. We probably want to keep them if they sign for a reasonable price, but should move them if that isn't possible

Tier 2:
Boro : 11 g, 28 pts (injured)
Ennis : 19 g, 43 pts (surprisingly good numbers, I think a team bites on him)
Namestnikov : 19 g, 37 pts

These guys are decent rentals for depth, likely don't garner more than a late 2nd though and that's best case because they don't have the same shine as the other tier has. 3rd or 4th round picks are my expectations.

Tier 3 :
Hainsey : 2 g, 18 pts
Reilly : 5 g, 31 pts
Boedker : 7 pts, 22 pts
Anderson : .899 sv%
Anisimov : 21 g, 29 pts

These guys are pure depth acquisitions in case of injury or undervalued because of their poor contracts or uneven play. 5th round picks are the most we can probably hope for.

I think it's important to remember that every year guys like Brian Gibbons, Weal, Fatenberg, Hendricks, Del Zotto, Wingels, and so on get traded, so there is no reason we shouldn't be able to move anyone from the top 2 tiers if we want.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This article is basically just a lazy re-write of what Garrioch/Warren/TSN/CJ have already written. Seems like the Sens media strategy is to write as many articles as possible about the exact same thing and maybe that will stick in people's minds. Seems to have worked as some people already seem convinced that we have too many "assets".

Reactions: Stylizer1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Two strategies that I would consider based on our current situation. We are very very deep, with many very good prospects but lack elite prospects. We also have a financial situation to consider so we'll likely always need to "re-stock" as years go by.

1. Trade assets now for better future picks than what you'd get currently. Offered a 4th for Ennis? Negotiate it into a 3rd in 2021 or 2022. Etc. That way we can take advantage of being fully stocked now and maximize what we get later.
2. Get what you can and then parlay multiple assets into fewer more valuable assets. Harder to do, but teams like picks and get arrogant with them. We are in a spot where we have the quantity, lack quality. So find someone who wants lots of picks and move quantity for quality. This rarely works for players, but can work for draft picks.
why does another team want our quantity and lack of quality for their quality?

Reactions: OgieO and Stylizer1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can see an contending team offering like a 4th and 5th/ meddling ahl guy for a namestnikov aninimosov package

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
this board will be fun when it blows up that dorion couldn't get a 3rd for Ennis.
I don't think that will be the problem. In my opinion, the messaging is what is wrong, don't tell people you have "too many assets", and thats why some vets will still be here after the deadline, tell people that there wasn't a market for those players. Seems simple enough, the fans aren't dumb, we all watch the Sens play too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think that will be the problem. In my opinion, the messaging is what is wrong, don't tell people you have "too many assets", and thats why some vets will still be here after the deadline, tell people that there wasn't a market for those players. Seems simple enough.
he hasn't said anything?

\the article literally says need willing trade partners.. which is a fact that is usually forgotten here

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
he hasn't said anything?
“We do have a lot of picks already, we’ve got a lot of prospects coming, Belleville is in first place with one of the youngest teams in the minors, so getting picks and prospects just to make a trade this year isn’t something we’re probably going to look at,” Dorion said. “We’re going to make sure we’re going to get the right return if we’re going to move players.”

Seems like he said something to me. We also know that every single member of the media that follows the Sens are saying the exact same thing, so either they all came up with the idea together. or they are being led to write articles based on quotes like these from the GM.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is HFSens, so yes, in this case this applies to Dorion. If I posted it in the "Around the NHL" thread, then I would be talking about GMs around the league.
Fair enough. In your opinion how can Dorion move his UFAs if there are currently no teams willing to buy. This truly is shaping up to be a buyers market. If Dillon, Vatanen, Toffoli haven’t been moved yet then it would seem the market hasn’t opened.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The quote about not getting picks and prospects just to make a trade is beyond insanity to me, im hoping it's taken out of context in this case or hes referring to the 4 roster players we should keep, but from the surface it seems like another "proudest day" moment ffs! Imo you move anything and everything on the current roster possible for whatever you can get save for Chabot, Tkachuk, Batherson and Hogberg. Too many assets? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I was advocating for moving Pageau and Duclair a month or so ago, take the best offer at the time and move on, I would rather make the safe play here then hope to create a bidding war that rarely happens, we get something back and likely have a couple less points as we sit here today! There may not have been a high number of teams interested in either player at that time but im fairly certain there were a few.

Reactions: BatherSeason

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah we are not getting anything. Our vets suck.
But hey who cares about another late first round pick and a couple of seconds we could've had if they didn't suck. Team Tank is happy they helped improve our lottery chances up by whopping couple of percents.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Then whats the point of using "Asset-rich" , or the quotes about having too many assets if it doesn't fit the story?
We’re going to make sure we’re going to get the right return if we’re going to move players.”

Did you just decide to ignore this part of the quote.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This article is basically just a lazy re-write of what Garrioch/Warren/TSN/CJ have already written. Seems like the Sens media strategy is to write as many articles as possible about the exact same thing and maybe that will stick in people's minds. Seems to have worked as some people already seem convinced that we have too many "assets".

Sure. The media is working day and night to get you all riled up by selecting trigger words like “asset rich”.

The few trades we will make will not appease everyone.

We will need some of these old guys next year too.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
I've always thought it's a weird way of thinking to say 'how many picks does the team need?'. The answer is as many as possible. You can't draft a player like Batherson or Stone without having picks in the mid to late rounds, so why would any team scoff at adding as many as possible?
Because we are already at the contract limit. Our farm team is full as well. Makes no sense to draft much more than we are already.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Because we are already at the contract limit. Our farm team is full as well. Makes no sense to draft much more than we are already.

What happened to packaging picks to move up or replacing current contracted players with better newly drafted options or acquiring picks for future years?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Exactly. There are only so many players you can have on ELC and contracts in general. The team should be focusing on parlaying the quantity of picks into higher quality picks and players. It's not easy, but Dorion is an amazing GM so he can do it.

Yeah, Dorion sucks. He'll probably do the opposite.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We’re going to make sure we’re going to get the right return if we’re going to move players.”

Did you just decide to ignore this part of the quote.
Hey dude, look up a little. I literally used the exact quote like 2 posts up.

“We do have a lot of picks already, we’ve got a lot of prospects coming, Belleville is in first place with one of the youngest teams in the minors, so getting picks and prospects just to make a trade this year isn’t something we’re probably going to look at,” Dorion said. “We’re going to make sure we’re going to get the right return if we’re going to move players.”

Seems like he said something to me. We also know that every single member of the media that follows the Sens are saying the exact same thing, so either they all came up with the idea together. or they are being led to write articles based on quotes like these from the GM.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Sure. The media is working day and night to get you all riled up by selecting trigger words like “asset rich”.

The few trades we will make will not appease everyone.

We will need some of these old guys next year too.
Hey dude, the only thing I am still triggered and "riled up" about are the vBucks you promised that I still haven't received from you for trying to troll me yesterday.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
why does another team want our quantity and lack of quality for their quality?
Trade downs happen in every single draft. Presumably its because the teams that trade down either want/need more picks or they are enticed with the value of moving down. I am not talking about combining 4 B prospects to get one A prospect. It's draft picks, these trades happen every single year. We can be aggressive because we have quantity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad