Sportsnet: Asset-stacked Senators need willing partners if there’s to be trade frenzy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Frenzy!!

The Senators might have a ton of assets available — namely 10 unrestricted free agents and several more that are RFAs — but have to be realistic about two things:
How many more draft picks and prospects do they truly need at this point? Their Belleville AHL team is loaded with young talent and they have five draft picks in the first two rounds this June, including two lottery picks.
How many of their veterans will actually be in demand as Feb. 24 approaches?

“We do have a lot of picks already, we’ve got a lot of prospects coming, Belleville is in first place with one of the youngest teams in the minors, so getting picks and prospects just to make a trade this year isn’t something we’re probably going to look at,” Dorion said. “We’re going to make sure we’re going to get the right return if we’re going to move players.”

Asset-stacked Senators need willing partners if there's to be trade frenzy - Sportsnet.ca

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So if they don’t get the right return... they’re going to let these players walk and lose them for nothing?

This position would make sense if these players had contracts after this season, but they don’t.

If you’re not going to re-sign them (and we can safely assume that the majority will not be re-signed), a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th rounder is better than nothing.

Even if you don’t plan on using all the picks, having more gives you much more flexibility in case you want to move up a few spots to draft a kid you really want.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With all the injuries happening around the league, there is no reason for a crappy return of our rentals.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
So if they don’t get the right return... they’re going to let these players walk and lose them for nothing?

This position would make sense if these players had contracts after this season, but they don’t.

If you’re not going to re-sign them (and we can safely assume that the majority will not be re-signed), a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th rounder is better than nothing.

Even if you don’t plan on using all the picks, having more gives you much more flexibility in case you want to move up a few spots to draft a kid you really want.

Negotiation tactics. Dorion is acting like he is in no hurry to make trades nor does he "need" to, therefore placing himself in a position of strength vis a vis other G.M's.

If he comes out and says "all our UFA's are available", he will get lowballed as that will give off the impression that he is desperate to get assets in return.

By playing it cool, it forces other teams to think twice about their offers and maybe even raise the stakes to "change" Dorion's mind about not needing more picks and prospects.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
With all the injuries happening around the league, there is no reason for a crappy return of our rentals.

We have nothing of value to trade tho. Outside of Pageau. And gms aren't going to give Dorion any kind of deals. Nobody wants to lose a trade to him.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Most of the guys are worth nothing and we will go off into la la land.

I think it will be a sleepy trade Deadline this year... unless some prospects are traded in the mix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Negotiation tactics. Dorion is acting like he is in no hurry to make trades nor does he "need" to, therefore placing himself in a position of strength vis a vis other G.M's.

If he comes out and says "all our UFA's are available", he will get lowballed as that will give off the impression that he is desperate to get assets in return.

By playing it cool, it forces other teams to think twice about their offers and maybe even raise the stakes to "change" Dorion's mind about not needing more picks and prospects.

I’m sure other GMs will fall for this trick and believe that Pierre Dorion would prefer to keep Tyler Ennis, Ron Hainsey and Dylan Demelo on the 3rd worst team in the league for an extra 15 games instead of acquiring a mid round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and Caesar Rex

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I’m sure other GMs will fall for this trick and believe that Pierre Dorion would prefer to keep Tyler Ennis, Ron Hainsey and Dylan Demelo on the 3rd worst team in the league for an extra 15 games instead of acquiring a mid round pick. Genius!

You seem to believe him?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Most of the guys are worth nothing and we will go off into la la land.

I think it will be a sleepy trade Deadline this year... unless some prospects are traded in the mix

Most, yes. But Pageau and Demelo are certainly worth something, and if we’re not re-signing them, we should take what we can get

I think Ennis and Namestnikov are also depth players playoff teams would be interested in, especially if we eat some of Namestnikov’s remaining salary.

I doubt we can move Anderson, Hainsey or Boedker.

At the very least we should come out of this deadline with another two 2nd rounders and two 3rd or 4th rounders.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You seem to believe him?

I get negotiating through the media with players like Stone, Karlsson and Duchene.

But not with Demelo, Namestnikov, Ennis, etc. With those types of players, you’re better off moving first and taking a little bit less before teams go to their plan B, so you’re not left with nothing.

Get what you can as early as possible.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Most, yes. But Pageau and Demelo are certainly worth something, and if we’re not re-signing them, we should take what we can get

I think Ennis and Namestnikov are also depth players playoff teams would be interested in, especially if we eat some of Namestnikov’s remaining salary.

I doubt we can move Anderson, Hainsey or Boedker.

At the very least we should come out of this deadline with another two 2nd rounders and two 3rd or 4th rounders.

That could mean a 2ND pick for Pager - how do you think the fan base deals with that?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
That could mean a 2ND pick for Pager - how do you think the fan base deals with that?

Better than losing him for nothing in July. So either sign him, or take the 2nd.

We’ve already traded Karlsson and Stone, I don’t think Dorion cares about the fan base. And that’s fine, but he shouldn’t start caring with Pageau.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Better than losing him for nothing in July. So either sign him, or take the 2nd.

We’ve already traded Karlsson and Stone, I don’t think Dorion cares about the fan base. And that’s fine, but he shouldn’t start caring with Pageau.

Ya - I don’t disagree. This is the fan base that thought the EK trade was terrible and the Colin White signing was great... I feel like they dump on that trade which influences the Sens.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ya - I don’t disagree. This is the fan base that thought the EK trade was terrible and the Colin White signing was great... I feel like they dump on that trade which influences the Sens.

Like I said, a fan base that has said goodbye to Karlsson, Stone and Duchene over the last 2 seasons won’t bat an eye at losing Pageau or Borowiecki.

Take the best you can get before other teams go with another option and you’re left with nothing.

Or sign them.

Reactions: bert and Sweatred

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Boro is more valuable to the Sens than any team in the league. I bet they lock him up.

Pageau . .. i feel the same thing is true for. But he'll probably want more than the Sens should offer.

If he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount, lock him up to. If not . . . trade him for whatever you can.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Yes there is. You can get warm bodies back.

Example: our NHL third liner for someone else's 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick plus fringe AHLer/NHLer warm body.

Improves our tank and improves our cupboards.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Lose him for nothing or 2nd? Fans would be stupid not to be happy with a 2nd. Why would they want him gone for nothing?

Reactions: bert

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Boro is more valuable to the Sens than any team in the league. I bet they lock him up.

Pageau . .. i feel the same thing is true for. But he'll probably want more than the Sens should offer.

If he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount, lock him up to. If not . . . trade him for whatever you can.

I'd rather they trade Boro while his value is more than a 7D that hes always been.

We have guys like brannstrom, Thompson, JBD, wolanin, Jaros, Lajoie all trying to crack the team.

If we can only bring back 1 of our UFA D id rather it be demelo than borowiecki as demelo is a better hockey player. Get rid of hainsey, Boro, Rielly, and goloubef.

Reactions: coladin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have nothing of value to trade tho. Outside of Pageau. And gms aren't going to give Dorion any kind of deals. Nobody wants to lose a trade to him.

Pageau should get a first. DeMelo (if we move him) should get a 2nd. And those are my bare minimum expectations. The others could be had for mid to late round picks. But Pageau and Demelo definitely have good value.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I've always thought it's a weird way of thinking to say 'how many picks does the team need?'. The answer is as many as possible. You can't draft a player like Batherson or Stone without having picks in the mid to late rounds, so why would any team scoff at adding as many as possible?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
"Asset Stacked Sens", is that the new line we are using...lol.

Looks like that's the excuse we will be going with this year just in case the returns are underwhelming.

The reality of the situation is that Dorion is running out of time. Waiting until the last possible moment to begin working on anything is a probably a bad idea.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pageau should get a first. DeMelo (if we move him) should get a 2nd. And those are my bare minimum expectations. The others could be had for mid to late round picks. But Pageau and Demelo definitely have good value.
I think you may want to lower your expectations.
Pageau 2nd
Demelo 3rd
Namestnikov 4th
No one else gets an offer IMO.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
"Asset Stacked Sens"...lol.

Looks like that's the excuse we will be going with this year just in case the returns are underwhelming.

The reality of the situation is that Dorion is running out of time. Waiting until the last possible moment to begin working on anything is a bad idea.
So does this apply to all GMs or just Dorion.
Other than Kyle Clifford no rentals have moved since Taylor Hall.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The fanbase will be fine. They have already gutted everyone's favorite players, and Pageau isn't anywhere close to being as loved as Stone/Karlsson were.

I think the closer comparable is Methot. Boro and Pageau are ‘local boys’ - from Ottawa - and the team seems to always want to keep one or two of those on hand. And they were pretty roasted for letting local boy Methot go in the expansion draft.

Methot wasn’t even a career-to-then Senator like Boro and Pageau are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad