Sportsnet: Asset-stacked Senators need willing partners if there’s to be trade frenzy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I suppose they can start asking for 2021 and 2022 picks?

Absolutely. Trade for 2021 or later picks, draft kids from College, package picks in the trade to upgrade what you already have and get quality over quantity, lots of options available if the concern is having too much too soon (assuming that's even a legitimate concern).

Reactions: aragorn

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
More like the propaganda machine :sarcasm:

I do think the media is soft on the Sens but that's more or less because the only reason to have sports media in Ottawa is the Sens. I don't think they actively look to deceive the fan base on the organizations behalf though. I really don't think national guys like Friedman, Dreger or McKenzie do either.

Some of the stuff on here seems like guys deciding what the echo chamber of HFboards, and the stuff they've come up with in their own heads, is more "real" than what we're getting from Sens and other national media outlets. We were happy to accept media reports of Pageau fetching a 1st and a prospect but reports to the contrary are not accurate? Are we building up theories so we can rage at the Dorion in case the TDL doesn't go the way we want?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'd say it's worth more to have a strong Belleville team than worry about getting a 4th or 5th round pick for an expiring UFA contract. I'd rather leave our best AHL players in the AHL this season for a good playoff run.
Losing a UFA at the end of the season isn't 'letting them walk for nothing'. Most teams have one or two journeymen UFAs that play out the season. The only players that really are trade bait are Pageau and DeMelo. I don't think there is a market for most of the others. Our UFA crop is at best 'waiver wire' level. IMHO

EDIT: Hmmm

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I do think the media is soft on the Sens but that's more or less because the only reason to have sports media in Ottawa is the Sens. I don't think they actively look to deceive the fan base on the organizations behalf though. I really don't think national guys like Friedman, Dreger or McKenzie do either.

Some of the stuff on here seems like guys deciding what the echo chamber of HFboards, and the stuff they've come up with in their own heads, is more "real" than what we're getting from Sens and other national media outlets. We were happy to accept media reports of Pageau fetching a 1st and a prospect but reports to the contrary are not accurate? Are we building up theories so we can rage at the Dorion in case the TDL doesn't go the way we want?
The media are basically running with a quote from Dorion claiming about having too many assets. It's not really propaganda if the org actually believes this. My point is that it is quite the strange comment to make for a rebuilding team. Is he lying to try to help increase the market for his players? Maybe. Does he believe what he is saying? Maybe. Is he lying to help lower fan expectations when the team makes less moves than anticipated? Possibly.

We will find out in about 10 days time.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think the local media is soft on the Sens to ensure access

In TSN's case, i think they are soft on the Sens because they are our broadcast partner. Shitting constantly on the team doesn't help ratings. Talking up the team and its prospects does

In Sportsnet's case... who cares

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
One one side of the river he certainly is.
I live on that side of the river, and honestly, losing Stone/Karlsson was way more impactful than losing Pageau will be. The gut punches have already happened on a much larger scale already, losing Pageau wont hurt nearly as much.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I live on that side of the river, and honestly, losing Stone/Karlsson was way more impactful than losing Pageau will be. The gut punches have already happened on a much larger scale already, losing Pageau wont hurt nearly as much.
Remember how gutted Orleans was when we lost Ceci? Tragic.

I know as a kid that grew up in Kanata I get very emotional at the idea of Borowiecki leaving.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say it's worth more to have a strong Belleville team than worry about getting a 4th or 5th round pick for an expiring UFA contract. I'd rather leave our best AHL players in the AHL this season for a good playoff run.
Losing a UFA at the end of the season isn't 'letting them walk for nothing'. Most teams have one or two journeymen UFAs that play out the season. The only players that really are trade bait are Pageau and DeMelo. I don't think there is a market for most of the others. Our UFA crop is at best 'waiver wire' level. IMHO

EDIT: Hmmm

I think we can leave our best guys in Belleville while trading off assets. We can also bring back contracts to run out the season too when trading the bigger name guys.

Just as an example, with Ryan and Wolanin nearing their respective returns, we could trade off Pageau, Namestnikov, DeMelo, Boro, Hainsey, and Ennis, then call up Chlapik, Wolanin, Beaudin (he might be hurt, so Veronneau?), and Englund with minimal impact on our Belleville roster

Ottawa:
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Tkachuk-Anisimov-Ryan
Paul-White-Boedker
Chlapik-Beaudin-Sabourin

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Englund
Reilly-Goloubef

Belleville:
Abramov-Brown-Balcers
Formenton-Norris-Batherson
Labate-Swarz-Cacone
Clapperton-Kelly-Klimchuk
Veronneau

Brannstrom-Labrie
Murray-Jaros
Lajoie-Dougherty

Daccord
Gustavsson

We also have Corrado and Aspirot, not sure if they are healthy or not.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think we can leave our best guys in Belleville while trading off assets. We can also bring back contracts to run out the season too when trading the bigger name guys.

Just as an example, with Ryan and Wolanin nearing their respective returns, we could trade off Pageau, Namestnikov, DeMelo, Boro, Hainsey, and Ennis, then call up Chlapik, Wolanin, Beaudin (he might be hurt, so Veronneau?), and Englund with minimal impact on our Belleville roster.
Agreed. But I just don't see that much interest from anyone for Namestnikov or Hainsey. I want them to keep/resign DeMelo and with Boro injured, he's probably not going anywhere.
Aside from Pageau, if the others walk at the end of the season, it's not the worst thing that could happen. DeMelo is RFA so he's not going anywhere. The returns on the others are not exactly going to be amazing. Some lower round draft picks or even future considerations.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Fair enough. :) Every francophone sens fan I know absolutely loves Pageau, so I just assumed.

Personally I'd like to keep him around. The team needs some yets to help the youngsters. And if Pageau is willing to stay, it would mean that he genuinely wants to be here, which has to be good for the locker room. Building that sense of players actually caring about the city and the team.

But we'll see whats up. If he wants to test free agency, or his main goal is to cash in . . . he'll be gone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. But I just don't see that much interest from anyone for Namestnikov or Hainsey. I want them to keep/resign DeMelo and with Boro injured, he's probably not going anywhere.
Aside from Pageau, if the others walk at the end of the season, it's not the worst thing that could happen. DeMelo is RFA so he's not going anywhere. The returns on the others are not exactly going to be amazing. Some lower round draft picks or even future considerations.

DeMelo is UFA. He turns 27 before the start of next season.

Anyways, it's not the end of the world if we can't trade Hainsey or Namestnikov, but if we never traded Kovalev for a 7th, we wouldn't have drafted Dzingle. If we hadn't traded Auld for a 6th, we wouldn't have drafted Stone. Trading Kirk Daubenspeck for a 6th resulted in us drafting Chris Neil. Flipping Lazar for a 2nd got us Formenton, Sometimes paltry trade returns result in big name players down the road.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I dunno, I recall earlier in the year seeing people's long lists of expected trade returns, like a kid with a long Christmas wishlist for his broke parents. A 4th for Hainsey, a 3rd for Ennis, a 3rd for Boro... There are gonna be some disappointed fans come trade deadline morning.

There are roughly five realistic trade options. Pageau, DeMelo, Tierney, Duclair, C. Brown. If we can get anything whatsoever for a Namestnikov, Ennis, or Boro we should be all over that.

I'd love to keep Pageau and DeMelo, but obviously if they're not signed by the deadline they have to be traded. I'd very much like to keep Brown unless the return is really worthwhile. If we can sign Pageau then trade Tierney, otherwise keep him. And I'd love to trade Duclair if we could get a decent return for him, but that seems unlikely.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I dunno, I recall earlier in the year seeing people's long lists of expected trade returns, like a kid with a long Christmas wishlist for his broke parents. A 4th for Hainsey, a 3rd for Ennis, a 3rd for Boro... There are gonna be some disappointed fans come trade deadline morning.

There are roughly five realistic trade options. Pageau, DeMelo, Tierney, Duclair, C. Brown. If we can get anything whatsoever for a Namestnikov, Ennis, or Boro we should be all over that.

I'd love to keep Pageau and DeMelo, but obviously if they're not signed by the deadline they have to be traded. I'd very much like to keep Brown unless the return is really worthwhile. If we can sign Pageau then trade Tierney, otherwise keep him. And I'd love to trade Duclair if we could get a decent return for him, but that seems unlikely.
Finally some realism. I do think Namestnikov will de moved for a 4th or 5th as his ability to PK and play all 3 forward spots are useful skills for a depth forward.

Reactions: innocent bystander

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is going to be funny.

There is no trade frenzy so either Dorion won’t make any trades which will piss people off or his returns will suck which will also piss people off.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is going to be funny.

There is no trade frenzy so either Dorion won’t make any trades which will piss people off or his returns will suck which will also piss people off.

It is very true. TSN has pumped up the deadline again. Doubtful anything of value goes either way, unless some other GM bites big on some prospects and vet combo for a first. Pierre maybe will make two or three small plays.

Sadly, the fans are expecting some returns that clearly not going to materialize.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Take a look at the players that get moved each and every deadline. There are always teams looking to add depth for a run at the cup. In the end, they will take whatever player is available for the pricepoint they are looking to pay and role they are looking to fill.

2017:
- Dwight king (15 pts in 63 gp) for a 4th
- Stafford (13 pts in 40 gp) for a 6th
- Streit (21 pts in 49) for Filpulla, a 4th and 7th
- Stalberg (12 pts in 57 ) for a 3rd
- Fiddler (3 pts in 39) for a 4th

2018:
- Shore (16 pts in 56)for a 7th
- Morrow (11 in 38) for a 4th
- Wingels (12 pts in 57) for a 5th
- Letestu (19 pts in 60) for a 4th
- Davidson (5 pts in 36) for a 3rd

2019:
- Lovejoy (7 pts in 51) for a 3rd and Carrick
- Thompson (6 pts in 53) for a 5th
- Oleksiak (11 in 36) for a 4th
- Petrovic (1 pt in 26) for a 3rd

There is no reason we "can't" move our guys if we want to. Somebody will be looking for bodies to fill roles, and we have them. We might not get as great of an asset as we hope, maybe the 3rd we desire becomes a 4th or 5th, but to suggest there won't be anybody interested at all seems fishy.
Dreger said no ones interested. Not me.

we could get those late picks. But dorion has said he doesn’t want them. Some of these vets are simply more valuable to us than late picks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The only issue would be if Dorion gets an offer for any of these players and doesn't accept the offer because "we have too many assets". Obviously none of us have any idea what the trade market is, or what type of offers if any are coming in, nor will we, but if the media is already running with the "Asset-Rich Sens" tag line and quotes from the GM backing that up, it kind of gives us a little bit of insight into what's going on behind the scenes.
What defence is “too many assets”. What does that even mean. I haven’t read “we have too many assets, therefore we will not move them”

which seems to be what is being overreacted about here.

Reactions: GCK

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I kind of agree that this team doesn’t need an abundance of late picks at this point. Anything not in the first 2 rounds is of little use to this team.

Of the current UFA/RFA group I’d only hang onto (assuming the UFA’S want to sign): Pageau, C. Brown (RFA), Namestikov, Ennis, Paul (RFA) and DeMelo. So unless someone is offering a 2nd+ for any of these players, I’d try and re-sign them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The media are basically running with a quote from Dorion claiming about having too many assets. It's not really propaganda if the org actually believes this. My point is that it is quite the strange comment to make for a rebuilding team. Is he lying to try to help increase the market for his players? Maybe. Does he believe what he is saying? Maybe. Is he lying to help lower fan expectations when the team makes less moves than anticipated? Possibly.

We will find out in about 10 days time.

IMO Dorion should try & get whatever he can for his UFAs such as picks in this yr's draft or any future drafts. As well he should go after some good prospects if team's don't want to trade their 2020 draft picks or a guy who might be able to help Ottawa for a yr or two that they can move at a future trade deadline.

He has many options where he could help either Ottawa or Belleville or the future of the franchises in general. Reilly for example came with another yr left on his contract, he should be able to help Ottawa next yr but may not be part of any future team & could be traded at next yr's deadline. These kinds of acquisitions, Anisimov is another, whereby they could be traded in future for other assets, he has options.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dreger said no ones interested. Not me.

we could get those late picks. But dorion has said he doesn’t want them. Some of these vets are simply more valuable to us than late picks.
Dreger may have said that, but it comes down to what our ask is because historically similar or worse players always get moved. Dorion not wanting late picks because he values what these vets bring in the final 20 games more than adding late picks is troublesome imo. It's one thing to want to re-sign guys, but holding onto to them only to walk away when we have the bodies coming back in Ryan, Wolanin along with fodder like Boedker who is unmoveable makes no sense for a team that drafted Stone, Dzingel, Demitra, and Neil with late picks acquired directly from moving out extra bodies and that doesn't even account for selections we made with our own picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->