LeBrun: Asking price for M.A.F is 1st Rounder or 1st Round level prospect + possible mid-level pick

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
MAF, as loveable as he is, is a bit of a diva. You can ask him if he wants any fries, and he'll say no. But you know darn well he's taking yours when you get yourself some.

He'll waive to whatever team wants him the most, you'll see.

While I agree with that all this speculation is just stupid. MAF is worth about a 3rd or 4th, maybe a low 2nd if Hawks retain. He doesn't "solve" anyone's issues, he just may improve some situations. TDL prices can get a little crazy so people can speculate on if they could get a 1st, but that's patently ridiculous and anyone who makes that deal basically has thrown all relative value calculations out the window.

If rational thought prevails the Hawks won't get anything good enough to even approach MAF about a deal. The team has no need to bring discord to the team and hurt their chances of signing him next year for a 3rd or 4th. And MAF probably needs a longer quiet offseason break which probably would convince him he's got more left in the tank and he can go another year.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Teams generally don't worry about "what they are, or aren't doing for the other team". They are self interested.

Chicago is unlikely to approach the cap in the next 2 years, so his cap hit really isn't a big issue. You do it because it's the cost of doing business to get the value out of Fleury, and because you need somebody to play goal for the team next year, and it's unlikely you're going to do any better in UFA.
I doubt we'd have issues finding someone better for cheaper in free agency. Enjoy your boat anchor of a contract, I'm tired of talking in circles about this.

Reactions: CDN24

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Not moving Robertson/Knies for 1 playoff run of Fleury. I made a proposal a few weeks ago, 1st + 3rd+ Mrazek for Fleury @50%

He's a great goalie but you don't give up a 1st + top prospect with their entire career infront of them for one year of a 37 year old goalie, regardless of how elite he is
There will be significant price attached to taking on Mrazek’s deal for the next two years, teams aren’t going to throw away $8m without being significantly compensated for doing so.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
it's funny how all of a sudden a 1st rder is the gold standard . How many 1st rders did Bowman trade when Hawks went on Cup runs and won ? Dubas payed a 1st for Nick Foligno and that is the usual price that solid player costs.

It’s not just about the cost of Fleury, there is a cost for the Leafs moving Mrazek’s contract; I don’t understand why so many people have a hard time realizing that.

Not long ago the Leafs gave up a 1st to ship out Marleau’s contract. Cap space is an asset; if you don’t have it, you have to pay for it.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
MAF, as loveable as he is, is a bit of a diva. You can ask him if he wants any fries, and he'll say no. But you know darn well he's taking yours when you get yourself some.

He'll waive to whatever team wants him the most, you'll see.
Fine, the Hawks will throw in a McD’a extra large fries into any deal.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Mrazek's value is negligible... it's not enough to materially impact the deal. Ultimately, he's gotta be in the deal as that's the only way the cap works.
Mrazek’s value is not negligible, it’s negative because you still have to pay him roughly $8m over the next two seasons.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Mrazek's value is negligible... it's not enough to materially impact the deal. Ultimately, he's gotta be in the deal as that's the only way the cap works.

Mrazek's value is a huge factor in any trade. The guy is signed for two more seasons at $3.8m.

I doubt Chicago or any other team is that excited about adding Mrazek to their roster at that price.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'd bet it's either Washington of Toronto, with the trades looking like:

Caps send one of their goalies plus a 1st for Fleury and a mid round pick.

Leafs send a 1st, Mrazek and a prospect for Fleury.

Great idea. Even if it doesn't work atleast the Leafs get out of a problem before it gets even worse (Mrazek).

But is Chicago gunna take him? Guess it depends on the 'prospect'.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Anybody who trades a first for Fleury right now is out of their damn minds.

If the Leafs can throw Mrazek into the deal its an absolute no brainer. Even in the worst case (that Fluery isn't much better in the playoffs) your getting out of Mrazek's deal & can start fresh.

And best case Fluery is the backbone you need to get out of the first round.. after-all Fluery was the reason VGK beat Minny last year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Mrazek’s value is not negligible, it’s negative because you still have to pay him roughly $8m over the next two seasons.

It very well might be negative... but it can be negative and negligible at the same time. Yes, he's owed roughly $8m, but he's also a reasonable goalie for a team that has none.

Mrazek's value is a huge factor in any trade. The guy is signed for two more seasons at $3.8m.

I doubt Chicago or any other team is that excited about adding Mrazek to their roster at that price.
They don't have to be "excited" about it, just like I'm sure the Coyotes weren't all that excited about taking Ritchie.

The excitement will be getting a 2nd+something for Fleury, and Mrazek, well, "he fills a positional need, maybe we could have done a little better in UFA, maybe not, ultimately, we're rebuilding, so it doesn't really matter all that much".

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Inspired to google around, Harry Sinden was the one liked to go year to year on Ranford's contracts. :laugh:

Wild article --> RANFORD UNHAPPY PLAYING ON THEIR TERMS

It appears that free agency in that era was at 32 (Link). That made Ranford the modern equivalent of an arbitration eligible RFA at the time. Not applicable to Fleury's situation.

Ranford was again traded at the deadline in 98’ I believe as a pending UFA (Detroit), but by that time he was on his downside and the compensation was less if I remember correctly.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
The trade market for goalies is tricky. And MAF is extremely tricky. I'm going to preface this by saying for much of his career, I believed Flower was overrated... significantly. I still would say that compared to his contemporaries he's not in the same category as Rinne, Price, Rask and Lundqvist. He's going to be in the Hall because of his Cups & Wins and ability to make some of the most fabulous saves of his generation, not because he's been 'consistently' elite.

For example, over the past 5 seasons, by my accounting, he's had two elite years, two 'meh' ones and one bad one. Last year he was elite... this year he has been 'meh' but I'd chalk that up partially to the defense of the team in front of him. The analytics of the thing are pretty divergent at this point... so I'll go with my gut and say he's probably been a fringe top-20 netminder this year. Last night he looked like the best in the game which leads to my next point...

Fleury can ABSOLUTELY steal a series. When he's on - and in my recollection of his career it usually happens in bursts - he's almost impossible to beat. He 100% stole a point for the Hawks last night. They had no business being in that game (outshot by well over 2-to-1) but he kept stymieing the Bruins. Sometimes he lets in softies which can kill momentum, sure... but I'd rather have the goalie that's inconsistent and can carry you on his back than one who's consistent but middling.

What's he worth? Last night proved unequivocally that he's still got it. A team in desperate need of a 1A goalie and a good shot at the Cup should absolutely spend a 1st+ for Fleury, particularly at half-cap. I still believe he might be the fifth, sixth or seventh best goalie of the post-lost season era but I'm 100% a fan. If your team stinks in net (I can think of one in particular), a 1st and a B/B+ prospect for a 50% retained Flower is worth the risk.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If the Leafs can throw Mrazek into the deal its an absolute no brainer. Even in the worst case (that Fluery isn't much better in the playoffs) your getting out of Mrazek's deal & can start fresh.

And best case Fluery is the backbone you need to get out of the first round.. after-all Fluery was the reason VGK beat Minny last year.

Dubas just signed him in the summer and now we have to lose a prospect just to get rid of him. Ooof. Dubas is donezo if Toronto doesn't advance to the ECF.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
happy this didn't happen. Don't want to loose Knies unless it's an absolute stud with term (think Chychrun) coming the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad