As a Canadian, I have no desire to watch Canada destroy Norway, etc.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What does the OP want? Should Canada not try as hard, ease up and let Norway back into the game? Is he upset that Norway does not have the same level of players that Canada does? If anything, that just shows that Norway isn't there yet. They have to work harder and harder. Hopefully next year, things will be more competitive. No team should ever let up. If you don't like it, just don't watch.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If we cut Norway, there would never be nations getting better. They're clearly one of the top teams from Division 2 and deserve to play with the big boys.

Should Canada not be allowed to play Soccer? Should the USA not be allowed to play Rugby?

The best part is, you're disgusted, but Norway is probably thrilled to be here. I'm sure losing 10-1 to Canada wasn't their favourite moment, but I'm sure the way the played later in the game was nice to them.

Canada have lost to Switzerland (who also beat Russia at the WJC last year). There are upsets. Look at Belarus a few years back in the Olympics, knocking off Sweden. There is always a chance for an upset - and sometimes it happens.

There is still no guarantee Canada wins gold. USA are strong, as is Finland. Sweden looks good too. Russia always gives us a challenge, as they did in Game #1, although we dominated late.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

In Sweden the WJC is a big deal. I think a lot of people prefer to watch them than the "real" national team to be honest. If this was in prime time here Im sure there would be a lot of people watching the games.

And on the other topic. I dont mind if Canada, US or Sweden runs up the score when playing teams like Norway, Denmark or Japan. But I will never, ever, watch that kind of game as it just doesnt cut it for me. Its plain boring when there are so much diffrence in skills and the only question is what player will be the first to get a hattrick.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
There should just be an 4 team "elite" division with Canada, USA, Sweden and whoever wins the top division. That way we get the forgone conclusion finals, and we don't have to see as many blowouts. -_-

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I see the Canadians in Buffalo going crazy as Canada easily beats Norway but I have no interest in watching.

Why is that?

First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

Secondly, I don't like to discourage nations like Norway when they get their butts kicked.

There are way too few nations that are serious about hockey. We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.

Thirdly, I like to watch competitive sporting contests. 7 to 2 is boring.

When Canada plays the USA or Sweden in the final, I will start to pay attention.

For them to improve, they have to go through those horrible losses.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Which would render the entire tournament even more pointless than it is now.

Is it really any worse than Canada beating up on weaker nations year after year after year? It seems like every year it is Canada, USA and Sweden/Finland/Russia alternating, with everybody else playing for 4th place anyways.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Is it really any worse than Canada beating up on weaker nations year after year after year? It seems like every year it is Canada, USA and Sweden with everybody else playing for 4th place anyways.

During the 90s and early 2000s the Russians were very strong. There was usually one of the other big countries showing up with a powerhouse team too year by year.

Everything is goes in cycles.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Is it really any worse than Canada beating up on weaker nations year after year after year? It seems like every year it is Canada, USA and Sweden with everybody else playing for 4th place anyways.
"Every year"? The USA only medaled once in the last 3, Sweden medaled in 08 for the 1st time in 12 years.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
During the 90s and early 2000s the Russians were very strong. There was usually one of the other big countries showing up with a powerhouse team too year by year.

Everything is goes in cycles.

I know, I made a mistake and amended my original post, but my point remains the same that now teams like Slovakia, CR and Germany can not compete against the elite teams and teams like the Swiss, Denmark, Latvia and Norway are not even close.

The only solution to something like this is (IMO) to have a smaller (4 or 6 teams) tournament, but that won't happen now that the world juniors are in Canada every second year as they would be losing out on revenue that the extra 2 or 3 pointless "easy win" games.

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Are some of you people really serious? The WJC means more to some Nations around the world then what you people fail to see. This a chance for a 19, 18 and sometimes 17 year old kid to represent their Country and do it with pride. Sometimes, it is the ONLY time they represent, so I would think twice, before posting something so off the board and inaccurate...

I also wouldn't be so quick to count Norway out. Obviously, this year is a forgone conclusion, but they are truly trying to better their program. The hiring of Espen Knuetsen as a coach/player rep (not so sure what his role is yet) is an obvious sign that they want to improve their hockey program. Knuetsen is easily one of the best, if not the best player to come out of Norway...

The only reason Canada dominates this tournament as much as they do is they put up the time, money, development, etc. to compete at a high level night in and night out. Anyone remember the 1974-1980 tournaments? USSR DOMINATED this tournament year in and year out, which more or less frustrated Canada and they put the 'Program of Excellence' in 1982 (a year they won the Gold for the 1st time) and thus starting to make Canada as strong a team as they have become...

I know this isn't NHL hockey, but youth hockey, from about 13-19, is some of the truest to heart hockey that the world offers. Sorry this post is so damn long...

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
Honestly, I watched the first period of the Norway game and walked away disgusted. It wasn't Canada's fault, I know but I have no desire to watch a 6-1 first period and 10-1 final score. It was clearly embarrassing and demoralizing for the Norwegians and Canada was simply relentless.

It kind of sucks as well that you have players like Brayden Schenn who has been padding his stats with 5G-10pts in the games vs Norway and the Czechs. What if he goes pointless in the medal rounds or big games? Will anyone even remember anymore with his ridiculously inflated stats? I'm not saying that's whats going to happen by any means but it is a concern of mine in regards to "Tournament MVP" honors and the record books in general.

Good point about Schenn padding his stats. I just shook my head when i saw the final minutes of the game, and Schenn was out there shooting every time he touched the puck when his teammates were wide open. Screaming at his linemates to feed him the puck and slamming his stick on the ice. This is coming from someone who had Canada for $100 at +7.5.

Davebo*

Good point about Schenn padding his stats. I just shook my head when i saw the final minutes of the game, and Schenn was out there shooting every time he touched the puck when his teammates were wide open. Screaming at his linemates to feed him the puck and slamming his stick on the ice. This is coming from someone who had Canada for $100 at +7.5.

They clearly had their foot off the gas until the last few minutes of the game, after basically ending the game in the first period. Schenn had a chance at a record - something the entire team and most of the fans (except you) knew about.

A chance to tie Mario Lemeiux at something? Hell yeah I'm going to be calling for the puck. :rolleyes:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

So its ok for Forsberg and Naslund to score 10 points in a game, but not for Schenn? This kid was going after a Canadian record, he should as hell go for it.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
How much you win isn't too much point nowadays since the all games have winner now. Let's think that Canada and Sweden tie after regulation today. Earlier, with no overtime, in this case the goal difference against the other teams was the tie-breaker.

The goal difference against all teams is counting if three or more teams are in the same points and same goals against each other. Imagine Russia beating Sweden 4-2, Sweden beating Canada 4-2 and Canada beating Russia 4-2. Then it would count.

But that works other way too, Norway doesn't get anything to keep the game close. Another problem is the promotion/relegation system, as players who were in key roles for Norway when they got promoted are now ineligible for this tournament. This situation could be solved with two options I say:

1) Lower levels would have U19 tournament (so this year for 1992 or younger)
2) Qualification tournament in September between last two of last year and two group winners of Div I.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How much you win isn't too much point nowadays since the all games have winner now. Let's think that Canada and Sweden tie after regulation today. Earlier, with no overtime, in this case the goal difference against the other teams was the tie-breaker.

The goal difference against all teams is counting if three or more teams are in the same points and same goals against each other. Imagine Russia beating Sweden 4-2, Sweden beating Canada 4-2 and Canada beating Russia 4-2. Then it would count.

But that works other way too, Norway doesn't get anything to keep the game close. Another problem is the promotion/relegation system, as players who were in key roles for Norway when they got promoted are now ineligible for this tournament. This situation could be solved with two options I say:

1) Lower levels would have U19 tournament (so this year for 1992 or younger)
2) Qualification tournament in September between last two of last year and two group winners of Div I

Agreed 100%!!!

The current system is flawwed because the teams that are promoted often aren't the same teams that got that country to the main group.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I agree, I didn't even watch the game for the same reason. When it is a foregone conclusion that you're going to win by a margin of 7 goals or more, it seems vindictive and petty to feel the need to watch that.

scdn

May 27, 2009
Norway and Austria gets us back when they get down a ski slope like 3-4 minutes faster than us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad