As a Canadian, I have no desire to watch Canada destroy Norway, etc.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
If you are men "act like you've been there before". Kind of like Guds goal celebrations.

If you are boys " that would be looked at as classless".

I'm talking about the fans reactions more than anything. You don't think if you were in a minor hockey rink across this country that your parents would be classified as "classless and crude" for cheering an 8th or 9th goal in a blowout. They would.

Paying for tickets does not mean you can do whatever you want. Have class.

I hear you but you can't expect people decked out in Canadian colours and mostly being drunk off their ass to restrain themselves. We talk about class and being a humble country, but when cheering on our nation three sheets to the wind, Canada is as homer and patriotic as anybody... just thankfully we have a sport and country where fans don't start massive hooligan brawls nearly as much (sorry soccer but you've had pretty loony people tarnish your game over the years).

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I see the Canadians in Buffalo going crazy as Canada easily beats Norway but I have no interest in watching.

Why is that?

First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

Secondly, I don't like to discourage nations like Norway when they get their butts kicked.

There are way too few nations that are serious about hockey. We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.

Thirdly, I like to watch competitive sporting contests. 7 to 2 is boring.

When Canada plays the USA or Sweden in the final, I will start to pay attention.

Frankly I agree, if I was the coach I would be telling the players not to celebrate goals, its a little much. Secondly if I was the IIHF I would be taking away the importance of goal differential.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Canada has like 15 times more registered players than Norway. It's not about developing the hockey program, it's a matter of numbers and the fact that other sports are more interesting to Norwegians.

Ehrm... Norway has 4000 juniors playing hockey, Canada have 473000. Theese numbers are from IIHF and includes women juniors too as far as I can tell. So it´s closer to 100 times more players to chose from.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
The op should just not tune in. I didn't but some people made the trip and it will probably be the only game they can get to so just zip it and leave them alone.

Snauen*

Ehrm... Norway has 4000 juniors playing hockey, Canada have 473000. Theese numbers are from IIHF and includes women juniors too as far as I can tell. So it´s closer to 100 times more players to chose from.
Poor Canadians, so many players, yet, so little talent and hockey sense.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
Maybe I'm different (or not, I only read the first page), but when it comes to games like these, I tend to focus on individual plays instead of the score. Both teams made some great plays in that game, and both goalies made impressive saves. Norway also had a few surprisingly quick skaters on the ice...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
In games like this, as a Canadian, I find myself cheering against Canada. Pummelling another nation by 9 goals doesn't make me feel better as a Canadian. Tonight, watching Brayden Schenn try to score his 4th then 5th goal of the game was like watching a UFC fighter try to steal money from a homeless dude. Really, there is nothing wrong with pressing for more goals but, Norway was just so defenseless. Maybe they need to cut a couple of the really uncompetitive teams from the tournament to make things a little more interesting?

To be honest, I really don't care if Canada wins this or any international tournaments. Winning one more time really doesn't matter to me at all. I like the World Juniors for the simple fact that I get to see future NHLers in action. I enjoy individual players for the different teams, if Canada wins or loses I don't really care.

I actually find this to be very condescending to Norway and other hockey nations.

You show up at the tournament, you play 100% or get wasted by better teams.

That's the way it is. It's a sport for men, not crybabies who want every game to end in a tie.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't think that the pasting of teams outside the top seven is a problem, at least not a particularly new one. What is of greater concern is that at the level of an 18-19 year old's tournament (WJCs), as opposed to the 18-45 year old's tournaments (WHCs or Olympics), the Czechs and Russians are starting to lose in lopsided fashion to Canada in the round robin as well. That's unfortunate. Sport loses its appeal when there is no genuine competition. It was unfortunate that the Canada-Russia youth Summit Series not long ago produced a lopsided Canadian rout. Within a couple of periods of that series, it was clear that the result wasn't in doubt. Lately, there are one (Canada) and a half (the US, in some years) teams that can compete at this level.

So it's all about Canada-US games now. Canada traditionally plays two games that matter at the WJCs: The New Year's Day game against the US in round robin play, and then the elimination round game against the US. This year, they play in only one game, maybe, in the medal round.

How many people would welcome a seven-game summit series between the Canadians and Americans at this level?

Now the flip side? Games not involving the US and Canada in this tournament are still very good. I suspect. Unfortunately, coverage in the US is non-existent for such games.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As a Canadian, I have lots of desire to watch Norway beat Russia:laugh:

C'Mon Norway, you can do it

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I am watching US-Germany.

Last years US Team was heads and tails above this years US Team.

If Canada cannot beat Team US this year I will be shocked.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Ummm...US. is super deep and better in goal than Canada. They are also big up front and can skate like the wind for their size. Canada will have there hands full.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
The U.S. isn't as flashy as they were last year, but still very solid. They look like they have another gear they can kick it into, and I fully expect them to do just that come the semi finals.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
What game would you rather be in? One where you are close, but its some mediocre opponent in front of a thousand people or one where you get destroyed, but its against a team full of players that are going to make the NHL and there are nearly 20 thousand crazy fans in attendance?

Its not an embarrassment for Norway to get blown out by Canada. Everybody knew that it would be very challenging for them to keep it interesting. At the end of the day, they get to tell people that they got to play against a whole bunch of NHL players just before they made the show and they got to play in an amazing environment. They have the rest of their lives to have competitive match-ups, but this will be something special for them.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The U.S. isn't as flashy as they were last year, but still very solid. They look like they have another gear they can kick it into, and I fully expect them to do just that come the semi finals.

That is good because the team that I have seen against Germany and the Finns would not stand a chance against Canada.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
What game would you rather be in? One where you are close, but its some mediocre opponent in front of a thousand people or one where you get destroyed, but its against a team full of players that are going to make the NHL and there are nearly 20 thousand crazy fans in attendance?

Its not an embarrassment for Norway to get blown out by Canada. Everybody knew that it would be very challenging for them to keep it interesting. At the end of the day, they get to tell people that they got to play against a whole bunch of NHL players just before they made the show and they got to play in an amazing environment. They have the rest of their lives to have competitive match-ups, but this will be something special for them.
I think people lose sight of the fact that it is a great thrill for these kids to be competing at this level. Does it suck getting hammered? Of course, but they know what they are in for, and like this poster says, will be able to take much more from this game than the final score.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

ok, if that's your opinion, I ahve no problem with you stating it but why would you make that comment here? This thread has nothing to do with the US, it's about people not wanting Canad to run up the score on weaker teams

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

ok, if that's your opinion, I ahve no problem with you stating it but why would you make that comment here? This thread has nothing to do with the US, it's about people not wanting Canad to run up the score on weaker teams

I guess I am not sure what other Thread to post it in.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I will look to post it elsewhere.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
how about the USA weak on defense thread, or the USA vs. Germany GDT, or starting another thread if your that desperate, at least pick something remotely related to the US

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

A couple of them including tonight. I think they proved a lot tonight. Not in as much what the Germans did/did not do,but what they were able to do with the big body presence.

They were up against a minor opponent and looked, IMO, average.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
If Canada won this game like 2-0, they would be filled with endless debate over how much they struggled and blah blah. So blow outs are good in this sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad