As a Canadian, I have no desire to watch Canada destroy Norway, etc.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.

Canada has like 15 times more registered players than Norway. It's not about developing the hockey program, it's a matter of numbers and the fact that other sports are more interesting to Norwegians.

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't either, didn't watch a second of it. Was busy with other extraordinary matters.

Good to see Canada won though

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Why is it OK for other teams to annihilate their opponent, but if Canada does it it's bad?

Look at the alltime scorers for single tournament, there's ONE Canadian in the top 10. There's 2 Swedes, 3 Finns, 2 Czechs, an American, a Russian and a Canadian.

Forsberg 31 points, guess he got most of those against Canada, or was he padding stats against lesser teams. Don't recall him getting knocked for that, only praise.

What's wrong with being good? You want to dump on someone, dump on the teams who suck. The "A" pool looks a lot weaker than Canada's "B" pool.

And Norway, by the way, played their hearts out the entire game and didn't seem to be looking for any pity. The goalie was horrble in the 1st.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
This topic always tends to pop up during the WJC more often than in the men's tournaments. Just have to accept that at the junior level there is much less parity between nations.

I don't know how true that is there is alot of lop sided scores in the world championship.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Why is it OK for other teams to annihilate their opponent, but if Canada does it it's bad?

Look at the alltime scorers for single tournament, there's ONE Canadian in the top 10. There's 2 Swedes, 3 Finns, 2 Czechs, an American, a Russian and a Canadian.

Forsberg 31 points, guess he got most of those against Canada, or was he padding stats against lesser teams. Don't recall him getting knocked for that, only praise.

What's wrong with being good? You want to dump on someone, dump on the teams who suck. The "A" pool looks a lot weaker than Canada's "B" pool.

And Norway, by the way, played their hearts out the entire game and didn't seem to be looking for any pity. The goalie was horrble in the 1st.

Forsberg had 42 points in 2 WJHC and with 10 of those points coming in a 20-1 win over Japan.

You'll have scores like the 10-1 Canada win last night when goal difference comes into play in the standings.
Canada could've won by a much greater margin if needed.
As for the fans in the stands cheering......they paid $700.00 for the ticket package plus $40+ per game for parking.
They better cheer and enjoy themselves!!

As for Canada being poor sportsmen. Even though having the most gold medals and most goals for
here's the top goals scored by a team...

Most goals scored by a team in a game

21 - Czechoslovakia def. Austria 21-4; 1981

20 - Sweden def. Japan 20-1; 1993

19 - Finland def. Switzerland 19-1; 1980

19 - USSR def. Austria 19-1; 1981

19 - USA def. Norway 19-1; 1991

Strange how Canada doesn't appear on the list .......EH!

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So don't watch! What do you want the organizers to do, ask the stronger teams to ice less players or to pull their goalie to make it even? Sure, let's further insult the weak teams! This happens in EVERY sport, watch the Olympics or any other competition and you'll see blowouts.

The fans paid good money to watch last night and I'm sure that if Norway had scored a second goal they would have cheered. Just because it was a boring blowout of a game doesn't mean they can't have fun.

I'm also pretty sure that as competitive athletes, the Norwegians will strive to be better because of games like this. Same goes for other weak teams. I don't feel sorry for them because in spite of the score, they had a pretty good game around their own net. They now know what it feels like to play a much stronger team and hopefully it means they'll be better for it over time.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I enjoyed last night's game. Yes it would be nice to see more competition in certain games but that's the way the tournament is. I expect all of Canada's games to be much closer the rest of the tournament.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
I see the Canadians in Buffalo going crazy as Canada easily beats Norway but I have no interest in watching.

Why is that?

First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

Secondly, I don't like to discourage nations like Norway when they get their butts kicked.

There are way too few nations that are serious about hockey. We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.
Thirdly, I like to watch competitive sporting contests. 7 to 2 is boring.

When Canada plays the USA or Sweden in the final, I will start to pay attention.

How do you expect countries hockey programs to develop if they don't play against better competition?

Macman

May 15, 2004
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm sick of people saying nobody cares about this tournament. Does the average person in the world care? Of course not, but hockey people care, the players care, the federations care, the people who buy tickets care and obviously we care or we wouldn't be here discussing it. I don't give a rat's ass about the NBA or World Cup and wouldn't pay a dime to see either. Does that somehow invalidate both or diminish a fan's enjoyment of them? Give it a rest.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Strangely enough, I don't mind blowouts in the NHL. I guess in my mind it's an even playing field where teams, in theory, have access to any of the available players and teams are always improving or declining (except for stupid Detroit whose always near the top of the pack).

The same can't be said in international hockey. A number of countries are beginning to develop their hockey programs which is wonderful but they get absolutely trounced regularly in tournaments by the big four clubs (Canada, Sweden, Russia, and the U.S.). It's not fun to watch. Once one of those teams hits four goals (except against each other), you can pretty much guarantee the game is over.

The problem is much worse in women's international hockey where there are just the big two. In essence, other countries are playing for the bronze.

I'm not sure whether or not these blowouts are good for the sport (e.g., discussions of women's ice hockey being potentially dropped in future winter Olympics). Perhaps it is one of the first stepping stones in building a successful hockey program in these countries (e.g., see Finland's blowouts in early Olympics; Switzerland's improvement in recent years).

Whether it's good or not for the sport, I wish there was a little compassion by coaches in reducing the magnitude of blowouts (e.g., give your fourth line a little more ice time or if you want to preserve a shutout/one goal against game, roll your shutdown lines for most of the time remaining); they're really boring to watch.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
How do you expect countries hockey programs to develop if they don't play against better competition?

Exactly. The poster below to was also correct when he said don't bother bringing common sense into this. I guess people don't pay much attention to Division 1. Norway is playing in the top division this year cause they destroyed the competition last year in Division. I don't know all the scores but I am sure there were some close games and some blowouts, they had a goal differential of +25. I am willing to bet that they beat up on Poland and Croatia pretty bad. Does that mean those countries shouldn't play hockey? The only way countries like Latvia, Norway, Denmark and Belarus are going to improve is to play against better competition. When they are in Div1, they roll through the competition, and up here they cant compete. They are in-between countries, but I think they are all on the way up.

Also, it may be just me, but I thought the Norwegians were flying all over the ice last night, at least in the first period. You take away a few of the bad giveaways and give the Norwegians a goalie who can stop a beach ball, I think its a much closer game. Granted, Canada would just have to try a bit harder and it still wouldn't be much of a problem for them, but I thought Norway was playing hard, and some of those guys are fast.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Exactly. The poster below to was also correct when he said don't bother bringing common sense into this. I guess people don't pay much attention to Division 1. Norway is playing in the top division this year cause they destroyed the competition last year in Division. I don't know all the scores but I am sure there were some close games and some blowouts, they had a goal differential of +25. I am willing to bet that they beat up on Poland and Croatia pretty bad. Does that mean those countries shouldn't play hockey? The only way countries like Latvia, Norway, Denmark and Belarus are going to improve is to play against better competition. When they are in Div1, they roll through the competition, and up here they cant compete. They are in-between countries, but I think they are all on the way up.

Also, it may be just me, but I thought the Norwegians were flying all over the ice last night, at least in the first period. You take away a few of the bad giveaways and give the Norwegians a goalie who can stop a beach ball, I think its a much closer game. Granted, Canada would just have to try a bit harder and it still wouldn't be much of a problem for them, but I thought Norway was playing hard, and some of those guys are fast.

You can thank Dylan Olsen and Mark Visentin for that.

But I do agree. The Norwegians are good skaters and are starting to become better shooters. Their guys need to get bigger, and they have to get more players playing in leagues like the KHL, Extraliga, Elisterien.

As for Canada, I do like to see some of the creative goals they put together.

hefsbeaver

Jun 20, 2009
i think the system is a little flawed which leads to a few of these blow-outs. Iirc if you win the relegation tournament (or the B tournament) then the next year your team makes it to the big tournament, however if you have a very good team one year with a bunch of kids who may be able to compete and win the "B" tournament than the next year you may have a bunch of kids who have no business being in the big tournament. In order tio keep the competition up maybe they should have the "B" tournament earlier in the year so that the teams that make the jump make the jump with the team that earned it not with a bunch of yougsters that do not belong. ( I hope I worded this so people can understand);)

scott4683

May 9, 2009
canada

Norway beat Croatia 18-2 one game...

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Other countries destroy Canada in other sports, I wonder what the reaction is in those cases?

Ogopogo*

If this was to happen in the NHL, I would be perfectly fine with it and want to see them pour it on. Every NHL team has the opportunity to become good by drafting well and managing well so, if you suck to the tune of losing 10-1, suffer. When the Oilers lost to Buffalo 10-2 last year, I was perfectly fine with that.

In international hockey, it is different. Nations like Norway and Belarus have virtually no chance of ever becoming any better in comparison to Canada, USA and Russia so they are completely defenseless. As I said earlier, it is like watching a UFC fighter steal money from a homeless guy - it is a senseless slaughter.

They should cut two teams out of the A pool and make the tournament more competitive.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
You're talking about a country here that has less than 5 million inhabitants, and where hockey is a pretty small sport. But we are improving fast. The lack of rinks is the main issue, young players doesn't get enough ice-time. And hockey is mainly played on in the eastern part of Norway, around Oslo+, so we have a very limited area and amount to pick players from. If you look at all of this it's quite impressive that we are in the elite division for junior.

And about last nights game. We could have scored a few more goals, but Visentin made som big saves. And Canada was very effective in the first period, before we started playing some defense and Volden became comfortable in goal. 10-1 doesn't reflect the game at all, we played hard. IMO 8-3 would reflect the game more, but that's hockey. The big and better countries make the smaller countries pay when they abuse their opportunities.

Norway is one of the teams that are between the elite level and division 1, it will be a roller-coaster ride like that for a while. And btw, we lost our main three point producers from last years team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad