As a Canadian, I have no desire to watch Canada destroy Norway, etc.

Curved Space

Apr 9, 2006
I see the Canadians in Buffalo going crazy as Canada easily beats Norway but I have no interest in watching.

Why is that?

First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

Secondly, I don't like to discourage nations like Norway when they get their butts kicked.

There are way too few nations that are serious about hockey. We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.

Thirdly, I like to watch competitive sporting contests. 7 to 2 is boring.

When Canada plays the USA or Sweden in the final, I will start to pay attention.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
As a Canadian, I don't particularly give a **** about when droid56 cares to pay attention to Team Canada.

Like where is this thread supposed to go? That game was sold out tonight, meaning the tournament made a lot of money, so the games where Canada plays the likes of Norway aren't going anywhere. If you don't care about it, good for you, but don't make a thread about it and proceed to take a jab at your fellow Canadians that do. Just wait for the medal rounds or whatever to watch, nobody is forcing you to watch Canada vs. Norway.

Last edited:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Honestly, I watched the first period of the Norway game and walked away disgusted. It wasn't Canada's fault, I know but I have no desire to watch a 6-1 first period and 10-1 final score. It was clearly embarrassing and demoralizing for the Norwegians and Canada was simply relentless.

It kind of sucks as well that you have players like Brayden Schenn who has been padding his stats with 5G-10pts in the games vs Norway and the Czechs. What if he goes pointless in the medal rounds or big games? Will anyone even remember anymore with his ridiculously inflated stats? I'm not saying that's whats going to happen by any means but it is a concern of mine in regards to "Tournament MVP" honors and the record books in general.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
LOL ummm, okay then...?

As a Canadian, I don't particularly give a **** about when droid56 cares to pay attention to Team Canada.

Like where is this thread supposed to go? That game was sold out tonight, meaning the tournament made a lot of money, so the games where Canada plays the likes of Norway aren't going anywhere. If you don't care about it, good for you, but don't make a thread about it and proceed to take a jab at your fellow Canadians that do. Just wait for the medal rounds or whatever to watch, nobody is forcing you to watch Canada vs. Norway.

Agreed.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Btw. why did Canada win only 10-1? After 6-1 period I expected them to score more goals... I wouldn't like this result if I was Canadian fan.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Fine, then don't watch. No point making a thread about it.

I've talked to players and GM's from some of the lower ranked countries over the years, and they all want to play these games, no matter what the score. It doesn't discourage them at all, it only shows their kids how much more work they have to put in to get to that level. Switzerland and Denmark have put a lot of effort into improving their junior program over recent years which is evident in the last few NHL drafts. Latvia has one of the top teams in the Russian junior league (their tiny population and player pool will never allow for a strong domestic league) and they will have played at the top level in 3 of 4 years next year (where even they have blown out teams 7-1). Even Great Britain is making strides at the junior level, but no matter how much they invest, we can't expect them to compete with a country that has 1,000 times more hockey players year in and year out in a tournament made up of 1.5 birth years. No amount of money will make that happen.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
It kind of sucks as well that you have players like Brayden Schenn who has been padding his stats with 5G-10pts in the games vs Norway and the Czechs.

Why do you think that sucks? You should be happy you have an offensive threat like that. And you should be happy for Schenn who is again proving to LA he is a top level talent in his age group. Be proud instead of disgusted.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Btw. why did Canada win only 10-1? After 6-1 period I expected them to score more goals... I wouldn't like this result if I was Canadian fan.

Alain Vignault Dave Cameron doesnt like blowouts.

Ogopogo*

I see the Canadians in Buffalo going crazy as Canada easily beats Norway but I have no interest in watching.

Why is that?

First, I know that Canada is the only nation that cares about the Junior tournament. It is kind of crazy when you are the only person cheering like a maniac about something nobody else cares about.

Secondly, I don't like to discourage nations like Norway when they get their butts kicked.

There are way too few nations that are serious about hockey. We need countries like Norway to develop their hockey program.

When Canada plays the USA or Sweden in the final, I will start to pay attention.

In games like this, as a Canadian, I find myself cheering against Canada. Pummelling another nation by 9 goals doesn't make me feel better as a Canadian. Tonight, watching Brayden Schenn try to score his 4th then 5th goal of the game was like watching a UFC fighter try to steal money from a homeless dude. Really, there is nothing wrong with pressing for more goals but, Norway was just so defenseless. Maybe they need to cut a couple of the really uncompetitive teams from the tournament to make things a little more interesting?

To be honest, I really don't care if Canada wins this or any international tournaments. Winning one more time really doesn't matter to me at all. I like the World Juniors for the simple fact that I get to see future NHLers in action. I enjoy individual players for the different teams, if Canada wins or loses I don't really care.

Last edited by a moderator:

tizzel

Jul 27, 2009
If Canada qualify for the Soccer World cup one day , and lose to Spain 8-0 , will you cheer to the last minute or simply feel miserable and defeated ? I would personnally feel glad to watch my country play in the world's best tournament of my favorite sport ( not saying soccer is my favorite sport )

That being said I dont feel bad for Norway and i dont watch those meaningless games .
Being here in the building i would definitely cheers for Canada .... for a period and then left XD.
.. but there is no way i watch this on TV

Last edited:

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
If Canada qualify for the Soccer World cup one day , and lose to Spain 8-0 , will you cheer to the last minute or simply feel miserable and defeated ? I would personnally feel glad to watch my country play in the world's best tournament of my favorite sports ( not saying soccer is my favorite sport )

That being said I dont feel bad for Norway

The sad part of that is Canada would probably have the ball for roughly 10% of the game.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
In last years tournament Canada was tested and actually had to play in 2 games, both against the US. The rest of the games weren't even remotely competitive.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
For most of the games, Canada has no trouble. People celebrate cause, well if you stick a maple leaf emblem on something it's guaranteed pandemonium and $$$, even if it's Norway we're killing. I personally have no desire to watch until the medal round too but the difference between junior and women's hockey is that the scores are often much closer and the quality of play is not at pee wee level. Still, WJC has a long way to go to be as great as the Olympic tournament, my fave tourney on the planet (Stanley Cup Final is less rare so we're used to it) and a special one cause we have to wait every 4 years to see it. As long as Canada has an entertaining game in the semis and with the USA (like both their 09 contests), I'm glad.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm with you, OP. I don't find it entertaining to see Canada win every game until the medal stages by a ridiculous score.

These are the games that are not interesting to watch, but this is a team in the pool that they have to play. Don't want to watch the blowout, then don't watch it. No big deal.

As for the Canadians trying to score, that's their job on the ice. They only had 10 forwards today, so basically 3 lines, so Schenn was going to be on the ice for a good amount of the time.

Unfortunately, at the Under 20 level, the Czechs and Slovaks don't have the depth to win it all. They can come up with a surprise from time to time however. Canada has excellent depth, Sweden is generally solid, as is Russia, US, and the Finns. As 1 nation, the Czechs and Slovaks were among the elite, Super 6 at the time. Both have fallen on some hard times. Development system is lacking right now. So many of their top youngsters come over to play in the CHL, that might be an issue for them. Czechs left off 3 CHL players from their roster.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I agree with the OP to a point. I mean, sure you can keep pressuring for goals for the goal differential, but Canada already has a solid lead on the rest of the countries. Perhaps we Canadians are too nice and this shouldn't be an issue to us because after all the Norwegan's entered the tournament willingly...

I dunno, it is just so hard to watch a team play soo much harder than the Canadian squad, yet get crushed in every single aspect of the game. Maybe it is just because i am an Oilers fan and witness getting blown out by ten goals every couple months.

X.X

obsenssive*

Why is that?

this was addressed at the summit but they reached the conclusion that people in North America are *******s and don't care about European hockey and would rather spit in the faces of european hockey leaders then talk to them as equals.

honestly its sad that canada has taken after america in this "cultural export" view, when really we're basically a twist on a scandinavian country.....

I for one say bravo Norge! and I hope Zucarello's norwegian and swedish club teams can sue the rangers for his stolen transfer rights. (along with every other stolen european prospect)

bdizzle28

Oct 22, 2010
Who cares if you have a desire to watch it or not, I'm sure most of us here had fun watching them net 10. :handclap:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ok then, don't watch, that solves that problem, NEXT!!!

but really, I would feel insulted if I were the team being blown out when the other team takes their foot off the pedal, Norway is there to learn, and use what they learn to get better, they're not going to do that if Canada gets up 7-1 and then plays keep away for 40 minutes. Norway has the talent to compete with some of these team(only loss to Czech Republic 2-0), but they have to play canada too in the process, as hard as it may feel being on the losing end of a 20-1 game or so, I think it would be more beneficial to the Norweigians if Canada kept their foot on the gas for a full 60 minutes instead of letting up.

Also, Canada is trying to gel as a team, with 4 people out of the lineup they are far from the team they want to be, so not playing their hardest isn't going to help them either.

As far as I'm concerned Canada should play hard for 60 minutes, Canada will benefit more from it, Norway will benefit more from it, if you don't want to watch then don't, I don't care

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I didnt watch much of it either. Unless Canada is playing the traditional powers, this tourney doesn't hold my attention. Dont get me wrong, IMO, its the most exciting hockey tournament of all, but there's always a game or two that are tough to watch, that's just the way its going to be.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
This topic always tends to pop up during the WJC more often than in the men's tournaments. Just have to accept that at the junior level there is much less parity between nations.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
TLDR.

But i also have no intreset watching sweden destroy contries like norway. I rather not stay up till 01:00 - 04:00 too se that. I want a good game, not game that i know that sweden will win EASY.
Also, in sweden, we care alot about this tournament.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
its men vs boys

didnt bother to watch after first period but 10-1 aint nothing to be "disgusted" about. 20-1 would've been. did canada take it chilly in the end? sure it aint interesting but game needs a result and thats about it. deal with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad