Confirmed Trade: [ARZ/MIN] Hanzal (50%), White, 2017 4th FOR 2017 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th*, G. Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
LOL, good luck with that. Toews is in God mode and no amounts of Hanzals can stop him.

Don't need to stop him completely, just slow him down...

the toews train between MIN & CHI needs to slow down. in the last game against MN, one goal was a rebound off a leg that plopped right in front of him, one was bad defense by olofsson and one was an empty netter. all very correctable that won't happen next time.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Their average number of times getting kicked out of the circle is ceratin to increase, anyway.

Oh, so Koivu 2.0? Koivu has to be close to the league lead, he's the biggest faceoff cheater ever. Nice to have a 2nd one!

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Sure, the trade is about Hanzal, but there's not enough talk in this thread about the throw-in Ryan White. He won't contribute much offensively, but he is perfectly suited to be a great 4th line guy in the playoffs. He never, ever mailed it in, on a team in which we saw a lot of that this season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sure, the trade is about Hanzal, but there's not enough talk in this thread about the throw-in Ryan White. He won't contribute much offensively, but he is perfectly suited to be a great 4th line guy in the playoffs. He never, ever mailed it in, on a team in which we saw a lot of that this season.

Russo speculated that White could possibly be more than a rental depending on his asking price. He might get a contract offer from the Wild.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
So many misses in an NHL draft; more than hits. I'd rather keep an identified prospect than keep a late first rounder; especially in a draft year like this.

Odds of a late first playing 100 games are about 50%. Odds of even somebody like Graovac (7th rnd) playing 100 NHL games is greater than that. And he's probably 4th or 5th in the prospect pool.

Its actually worse odds according to this analysis http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

Using the current standings combined with that TSN analysis; the 30th pick has a 5% chance of being a top 6 forward/top 4 D-man. If the Wild fall a spot, the 29th pick only has a 10% shot. The 60th pick has again only a 5% shot.

Again, if this analysis is to be believed; The average rating for the 29/30th overall pick is "good minor league player". Essentially after pick 14, the draft is a massive crapshoot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its actually worse odds according to this analysis http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

Using the current standings combined with that TSN analysis; the 30th pick has a 5% chance of being a top 6 forward/top 4 D-man. If the Wild fall a spot, the 29th pick only has a 10% shot. The 60th pick has again only a 5% shot.

Again, if this analysis is to be believed; The average rating for the 29/30th overall pick is "good minor league player". Essentially after pick 14, the draft is a massive crapshoot.

Yeah mid to late round 1sts are probably the most overrated trade chip on Hfbords. Very little difference between those and a 2nd in terms of getting a likely NHler at the draft

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah mid to late round 1sts are probably the most overrated trade chip on Hfbords. Very little difference between those and a 2nd in terms of getting a likely NHler at the draft

Exactly. There was a national radio show that was talking about this stuff with the NFL and NBA in relation to draft picks and how people covet the 1st round picks so much. If you are not in a rebuild year (like say Detroit) then 1st round picks are nothing but mere bargaining chips for when it comes to acquiring players which aid your contention status so much more. The Wild clearly don't need their 1st round this year. They have a lot of their players signed long term and have viable replacements for those they can't get signed to be called up.

If this team was a lot older or had a lot of UFA's this offseason, I would be concerned. Even if Vegas were to take someone like Dumba or Zucker, they will be replaced easily.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Finally, Hanzal got traded. Seems like he's been on the trade block for yrs. Didn't think Minnesota would be the team to get him though.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
This trade can be explained by the unealthy obsession for size, as well as a year where reportedly, not many teams are in a hurry to sell.

I don't subscribe to the philosophy of hoarding picks at all costs and I understand that in a weak draft year, the pick are a little less valuable but still... Hanzal is just a big goof on skate and certainly doesn't warrant that price tag.

Sakic must be a happy man right now, the spotlight is now on his trading chip. It's gonna be interesting to see if other teams will be tempted to sell after seeing what hanzal went for.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
our prospect pool has enough quality forwards for a whole new young team "core", so there was little real reason to keep that late 1st unless we were planning on using it as a bribe on LV. The only negative i can see about this is it reduces the chances we'll be able to work out a deal with the Golden Knights come X draft time. But like their GM said, Fletcher is absolutely resigned to losing a good player.

and lest anyone think otherwise, Koivu is going to be our "matchup" line. So he'll neutralize whatever line BB thinks is most dangerous. Problem is when you have a team like Chicago with Kane and Toews on different lines. Koivu can handle that but it's a tough job for anyone else.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ugly price to pay if you're Minny. Better win it all or re-sign him, that's just too much. Weak draft my backside, good teams find players in the top 2 rounds or use those pieces as assets to acquire players under contract.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
The West is wide open this year there is no clear cut #1 team and we currently look like the best team of the bunch. 2017 is a weak draft and with our prospect pool currently with Kunin, Greenway, Kaprizov, Tuch, JEE, Olofsson, & Reilly all looking like they are going to be NHL'rs losing a 1st in a less than average projected draft... thats an easy pill to swallow. Only thing others and I are worried about is not having that 1st to dangle to vegas to take a player we choose.

Wild won't have a better chance to go for it considering the regression of the west power houses this year, all of our veterans get a year older... and we more than likely lose a good dman to expansion. To not go all in for our first cup ever this year would be the far worse mistake.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Draft picks outside lottery are such a crapshoot that I'm completely fine with this move. Especially with a prospect pool we have.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ugly price to pay if you're Minny. Better win it all or re-sign him, that's just too much. Weak draft my backside, good teams find players in the top 2 rounds or use those pieces as assets to acquire players under contract.

No chance that the Wild will even attempt to re-sign Hanzal. We still have Granlund and Nino to get under contract at the end of the season. They may keep the other Coyote in this deal, Ryan White.

This is strictly a rental move that was made possible because the Wild already have a very nice stable of prospects coming down the pipe.

The Wild are all in, and as a fan, it's fun to see.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No chance that the Wild will even attempt to re-sign Hanzal. We still have Granlund and Nino to get under contract at the end of the season. They may keep the other Coyote in this deal, Ryan White.

This is strictly a rental move that was made possible because the Wild already have a very nice stable of prospects coming down the pipe.

The Wild are all in, and as a fan, it's fun to see.

Yeah, it's exciting as a fan. I guess they know what they're doing...

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
This trade can be explained by the unealthy obsession for size, as well as a year where reportedly, not many teams are in a hurry to sell.

I don't subscribe to the philosophy of hoarding picks at all costs and I understand that in a weak draft year, the pick are a little less valuable but still... Hanzal is just a big goof on skate and certainly doesn't warrant that price tag.

Sakic must be a happy man right now, the spotlight is now on his trading chip. It's gonna be interesting to see if other teams will be tempted to sell after seeing what hanzal went for.

Eh I think he's a good player. He puts up more than respectable third line numbers on a bad, bad, bad team. Also I know people hate plus/minus, but he's usually (USUALLY) been able to keep his plus/minus near zero playing on Arizona year in, year out. You can't be too bad of a player if you're able to manage the things above.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

So the teams that finish top 4 in the league every year either hit a HR in the 1st or 2nd round or trade those pieces for a solid player under contract?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hanzal does nothing for me. I've never been impressed by his play. I'm really glad the Hawks didn't try and trade for him. I also hope he works out horribly for Minnesota. :D

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

This is literally what they just did. They used those pieces to acquire a player under contract to play for them.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Going all in for Minny.

Nice. They're having a great season but I still don't see them as contenders, so sell all your futures away please.

So you don't see a team that is +70 in goal differential (3 times anyone else in the West) and has lost a total of 4 games all season by more than 1 goal and they aren't contenders? Sheer genius, in 2009 I'm guessing you probably didn't see the Blackhawks coming either.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
the toews train between MIN & CHI needs to slow down. in the last game against MN, one goal was a rebound off a leg that plopped right in front of him, one was bad defense by olofsson and one was an empty netter. all very correctable that won't happen next time.

No really Toews is in "god mode" :laugh:

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
So you don't see a team that is +70 in goal differential (3 times anyone else in the West) and has lost a total of 4 games all season by more than 1 goal and they aren't contenders? Sheer genius, in 2009 I'm guessing you probably didn't see the Blackhawks coming either.

It's the standard HF Boards mantra.

Nothing will happen until happens, and then say it's unsustainable and downplay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad