Confirmed Trade: [ARZ/MIN] Hanzal (50%), White, 2017 4th FOR 2017 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th*, G. Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
trade is all about slowing down toews if they play chicago in the playoffs. if it works its a good deal if not its a few lottery tickets thrown away. gotta go for it when your having this kind of year. wild team is set with players and prospects for the next 5 years anyway.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
It's not just a 1st. It's a 2nd and potentially another 2nd. That's a lot. That may not turn into something but you at talking a decent chance at a top 6 player. Obviously it could be far better than that.

Could be far better, but it also could be far worse.

I agree with you, the Wild are giving up a decent chance of drafting a top 6 player of the future in this trade. But they are getting back a guaranteed solid top 9 forward (not to mention also another guy who will get a shot to be a 4th line contributor)

I guess in our situation, gunning for a Cup, I'll take a guaranteed top 9 guy right now rather than a chance at a top 6 guy later.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I call ******** on this statement. The second they hired Boudreau EVERYONE here said they would be good.

Boudreau has never had a defense or a goaltender like he has now, so maybe this is the year his team gets it done.

Go to the main board and look at the preseason prediction thread... at least half if not more, were predicting the Wild to miss the playoffs. Most of those seemed to have them in the bottom 2 of the division.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I have his pro stock stick. If only he performed as well as that stick does...

Hey, there are times when you watch him play and you think "this kid has skill and should be a top 6 player!" Then he goes into his normal level of play where he has no impact either good or bad, you forget he's even on they ice and you realize why he's just a fringe NHL player.

It's entertaining though to see fans react to his game... When he goes on one of his streaks, there are always fans ready to declare that he's finally going to become that great player his first round draft status said he should. You remind them that he always does that and always vanishes and they think you are the crazy one... until the inevitable happens and he does the usual vanishing act again... :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's strange seeing fellow Flyer fans in here telling Wild fans they overpaid for Hanzal. The Wild have one of the best teams in the league, and one of the best prospect pools. Giving up a late 2017 1st to add strength down the middle in pursuit of a Cup is not overpayment. Overpayment would have been giving up one of their top prospects.

That's my thinking. I would have been beside myself if they had traded any of our " big 4" ( Ek, Kunin, Kaprizov, Greenway...actually Olofsson, too) for Hanzal/ White. A mid first would've been tough to give up. A late first? That's a player, if you're lucky, that is a bottom sixer 4-5 years from now. Wild will probably have to trade a couple of decent players this summer, and can always recoup picks in those deals.

I'm surprised that ARI didn't insist on a Sokolov, Reilly, or even a Graovac.

Schroeder is nice to put out there against fast teams like CHI and PITT. He and Haula on the same line are crazy fast. As stated earlier, he'll tease you with a really good game, but will then vanish.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Wild getting to the point where the roster might be good enough to take their game to the Hawks instead of vice versa.

They are losing a top 4 D after this year no matter what. I like they are actually going for it for their fans.

Staal, Parise, Pominville, Suter don't have long. Basically 3 2nds for the best defensive center available.

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
It's not just a 1st. It's a 2nd and potentially another 2nd. That's a lot. That may not turn into something but you at talking a decent chance at a top 6 player. Obviously it could be far better than that.

The Wild don't need a "decent chance" at a top six player several years from now. They need a bottom six center now.

Edit: gphr513 beat me to it :/

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Apparently this deal was in the works for days. Arizona was pressing for Eriksson-Ek or Kunin, Fletcher was dead set against that happening. This according to Russo on KFAN.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
trade is all about slowing down toews if they play chicago in the playoffs. if it works its a good deal if not its a few lottery tickets thrown away. gotta go for it when your having this kind of year. wild team is set with players and prospects for the next 5 years anyway.

Great point. Aside from the obvious playoff defeats, Toews has owned them the last two games and I think that was a big factor here.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Apparently this deal was in the works for days. Arizona was pressing for Eriksson-Ek or Kunin, Fletcher was dead set against that happening. This according to Russo on KFAN.

Makes the return look even better w/o having to give up one of them and still get Hanzal and White.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

KInd of surprised that ARI didn't want a lesser, but still attractive piece like Reilly, Sokolov, or even a Graovac.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Never said the trade was not good for the wild playoffs. It's just a lot to give up. One would think 2 2nds would be more than enough.

Obviously, it wasn't. :laugh:

If he was worth just two 2nds, then that's what it would've cost the Wild. Besides, the 1st should be very late one in what's been described as a bad to mediocre draft. What Arizona REALLY wanted was one of the Wild's top prospects, glad Fletcher held firm and didn't cave into that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Never said the trade was not good for the wild playoffs. It's just a lot to give up. One would think 2 2nds would be more than enough.

The further out the picks, they lower their value. One of the picks is 3 drafts away... at the earliest, that doesn't turn into an NHL player (if ever) until 2022. If that pick ends up being in the 2nd round, do you think anyone will care about a pick considering that means the Wild have at least made it to the WCF?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that there are many teams in this league that should not be paying more than two 2nds (or whatever) for Martin Hanzal, either because they don't particularly need him, are not in a great position to really use him or have a greater need for their early picks in the next few drafts. But the Wild aren't those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad