Confirmed Trade: [ARZ/MIN] Hanzal (50%), White, 2017 4th FOR 2017 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th*, G. Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Obviously, it wasn't. :laugh:

If he was worth just two 2nds, then that's what it would've cost the Wild. Besides, the 1st should be very late one in what's been described as a bad to mediocre draft. What Arizona REALLY wanted was one of the Wild's top prospects, glad Fletcher held firm and didn't cave into that.

Its good he didnt trade a high end prospect, but I have a feeling that if he did wild fans would be on here defending that as well, arguing they have a lot and they are at least 1-2 years away while we need to win now. The wild are winning now. They do not NEED Hanzal to win. With a 1st a 2nd and another 2nd you are not too far off getting Couts who is signed, young and as ideal a 3C as there is in the NHL. I mean look at what Shatty got in return!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Its good he didnt trade a high end prospect, but I have a feeling that if he did wild fans would be on here defending that as well, arguing they have a lot and they are at least 1-2 years away while we need to win now. The wild are winning now. They do not NEED Hanzal to win. With a 1st a 2nd and another 2nd you are not too far off getting Couts who is signed, young and as ideal a 3C as there is in the NHL. I mean look at what Shatty got in return!

I can assure you that Wild fans would be right pissed if Fletcher gave up Eriksson-Ek, Kaprizov, Kunin, Greenway, Tuch, Olofsson or Reilly. The picks are a good return for Arizona, but something Minnesota can afford to give up.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

you'd see a riot if Kaprizov, JEE, Kunin or Greenway was traded. Probably some rationalizing if it was Tuch, but still likely 50% pist.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Yes, you are. Hextall is in no position to move his only center aged under 25 for picks. You're trying to defend your negative opinion of this trade by making claims that have no basis in reality.

Also, the Wild have enough expansion draft issues without adding another forward they would need to protect.

Last edited:

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Incorrect.

TheHardTruth*

Jun 22, 2015
This trade is looking worse and worse. I understand that Hanzal's value is mostly as a defensive center, but the Wild gave up way too much for someone with a limited offensive game.

He's been invisible for a few games now. I don't see how having two 4th line centers on the same team helps in the playoffs.

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
This trade is looking worse and worse. I understand that Hanzal's value is mostly as a defensive center, but the Wild gave up way too much for someone with a limited offensive game.

He's been invisible for a few games now. I don't see how having two 4th line centers on the same team helps in the playoffs.

Quote from Wild forum:
Hanzal is supposed to play a 3rd line shutdown the other teams top lines role and he has done that well so far.If you are expecting him to put up a lot of points you're gonna be disappointed he gets 1 or 2 goals every dozen game and an assist or two every 3 or 4 games.

Wild is all in this year, sure they overpaid but i think Hanzal doing what is expected.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Hanzal's job is to shutdown the opponents 1C come playoff time.
If you're expecting points you are not doing it right.

By acquiring Hanzal the Wild also don't have to face him in the playoffs by an opponent acquiring him

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Have you never watched a defensive center work? How's your familiarity with matchups and how important they are?

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ

By acquiring Hanzal the Wild also don't have to face him in the playoffs by an opponent acquiring him

So you gave up a first to not play HANZAL in the playoffs...

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He's got 3 points in 5 games, playing a defensive role. That's basically his career norm in the extremely small sample size he's been here.

What were you expecting?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

Exactly. They overpaid for sure but Hanzal definitely addresses a need. Last two games against the Hawks, Boudreau had the Koviu line matched up against the Kane line and then Toews went off (4g 8pts in 2 games). Hanzal is going to be a key if they want to finally get by Chicago.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
White is a long term keep with reasonable trade value.

Hanzal is a 3mil x3y 35pt defensive center.

Very reasonable trade, especially so if we can keep White in the summer.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Seems like the Wild's offense has been cold since the TDL. Definitely not Hanzal's fault, but weird timing.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
White is a long term keep with reasonable trade value.

Hanzal is a 3mil x3y 35pt defensive center.

Very reasonable trade, especially so if we can keep White in the summer.
If Hanzal was a 3x3 player, the trade never happens as he signs with AZ before the TDL. His camp wants at least 5x6m range, with no other FA C's available, he'll get close to that....at least 4 years/$20m.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while i get that we could afford to give up so much im still bummed we did. too much for a 3rd line center & 4th line winger. if by some miracle we win the cup everyone can jump up & down how smart & wonderful is our gmcf. i think he overpaid & may have made a mistake.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if this is a mistake it's of the OH MY GOD HE PICKED WHO WITH THAT 5th ROUND PICK?! variety. I know some folks get upset at that but come on.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
If Hanzal was a 3x3 player, the trade never happens as he signs with AZ before the TDL. His camp wants at least 5x6m range, with no other FA C's available, he'll get close to that....at least 4 years/$20m.

Yes. People can want many things. Not a 5mil center, unless he is hurt right now.

3x3 is what I would offer.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yes. People can want many things. Not a 5mil center, unless he is hurt right now.

3x3 is what I would offer.

Hahahaha
I'd easily offer him 5x5 as a Sens fan but that would not get him

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Drafting has gotten significantly better than the 1990-2009 era and I'm okay with this deal. Don't know stats but there's certainly been a higher percentage of top 60 players making the NHL recently and if even one of the players we draft becomes a top 6er it'll be a good trade, even better if 2 or more make it.

Seems to me about 50% of 1st round picks make it as a steady player so far and probably about 30% of top 60 picks make it looking at hockeydb stats, so I'd say potentially having 3 of those picks makes it a decent enough chance of getting a good player. Our scouting has been pretty good lately as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad