Confirmed with Link: Arvid Soderblom (2 year extension $962.5k aav)

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why buyout Mrazek? He has 1 yr left

Trade for Murray or someone else getting asset and buy them out
Trade for Murray and the Boston 1st for Tampa’s 2nd.
Murray and Mrazek will each spend about 1/3 of the season on IR. Should leave about 40 starts for Arvid. In the limited times both are healthy the kids split starts in Rockford.

Why are the Hawks upgrading on Mrazek right now?
I think Coolhand is hitting the juice.

Bedard speeds up the timeline but Chicago is tanking 1 more year.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Trade for Murray and the Boston 1st for Tampa’s 2nd.
Murray and Mrazek will each spend about 1/3 of the season on IR. Should leave about 40 starts for Arvid. In the limited times both are healthy the kids split starts in Rockford.

I think Coolhand is hitting the juice.

Bedard speeds up the timeline but Chicago is tanking 1 more year.
I just don't think Comesso will be ready in 1 or 2 years. A decent UFA in net now only helps the young D I think. Mrazek is a sieve and only hurts the team in my view.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just don't think Comesso will be ready in 1 or 2 years. A decent UFA in net now only helps the young D I think. Mrazek is a sieve and only hurts the team in my view.
Commesso should get the bulk of the starts in Rockford this season. By next season I would imagine he starts in the AHL but gets called up at 22 years of age half way through after spending 1.5 years as the guy in net...similar to Joseph Woll in Toronto. When he becomes the Hawks starter is the real question, but I say by 24-25 he is up with us as the backup.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
One of them is bound to hit.

I still say Gajan has the highest upside of the 3. But he's also the furthest away and the biggest boom or bust. But I like the Hawks letting him develop in the USHL and not throwing him in college. Similar to Rinzel getting that extra USHL year before college.

I really like Soderblom and can see why the Hawks are so high on him. Probably the best guy to hit his upside and also has a solid floor. Commesso has the highest floor of the 3 to hit but probably the lowest upside. But man that kid is as steady as they come. You don't need to be a talent like Vasilevskiy to be a #1. Corey Crawford proved that for years.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You need 2 goalies in today's NHL. Preferrably 2 decent goalies so we don't pay top dollar. I rather not waste significant cap space on goalies. Hence, having a cheap decent goalie youth pipeline is a good strategy.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Between Soderblom, Commesso, and Gajan, it's the best the goalie pipeline has looked in a long time
Completely agree! That is some quality depth. Stauber had a nice showing last year during his 6-game stint in Chicago. When he went back down, Soderblom was there too and he didn't get much action. The Stauber/Commesso tandem should be good in Rockford. Gajan had a nice start to his USHL season as well.

Soderblom will be a tough one to evaluate on a rebuilding team. He has a lot of sneaky upside. Hopefully they can guide his starts while Mrazek is healthy and not throw him to the wolves against the top teams in their buildings.

Either way I agree with Musto on this one

Reactions: Muffinalt

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
the one game were he was bad. the whole team was bad. of his first 4 goals. I think 2 were deflections and one bounced off the top of the net onto his back and in. After that things got a bit ugly. I'm curious what his stats would be if you remove that game. the coach should have gotten him out of the game before he gave up 7 goals. we give up so many HD chances is the issue.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Hes gonna make saves that impress now and again but the consistency isnt there and the rebounds have been atrocious. That said, hes 24yo without much help defensively, pretty much being thrown to the wolves.
I'm not sure if the consistency problem is fixable but the rebound control is. He should be in Rockford but who the hell would we replace him with, Stauber? The guy with a 4GAA and a save % in the .880s? You just have to hope Mrazek keeps up his good play(unlikely) and Soderblom improves (most likely).

Also, don't forget what Stauber looked like against Detroit in the preseason. It was one of the worst goaltending performances ive ever seen, preseason or not.

Reactions: Pez68

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Take away the Coyotes massacre where Soda was left out to die and he's got a 90sv%. He's Lankinen with better fundamentals. Goalie stats lie. The eye test is extremely important. It's why I was crapping on Stauber last year despite putting up a good sv%.

Kid has size and plus athleticism. Decent technique. Mrazek has a few games where his numbers outplayed his performance. Not saying Soda is the guy moving forward. But he's definitely nothing to write off.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
His biggest issue is he sucks and constantly loses his net. No idea why some of you seem married to him. He ain’t it. Why defend him?

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad