Confirmed with Link: Arvid Soderblom (2 year extension $962.5k aav)

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Name me a worse goalie that has played for this team since 1993. Has had to have played at least 20 games during a season.

Reactions: Pez68

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Not even close.

He went 20 -15 and 26 -14 on those stacked Hawks teams.

The 2 goalies off the top of my head that come to mind are Andrei Trefilov and Robbie Tallas. But Trefilov only played 7 games over 2 years and Tallas played 12 games during the 00-01 year.

Reactions: jls24

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not even close.

The 2 goalies off the top of my head that come to mind are Andrei Trefilov and Robbie Tallas. But Trefilov only played 7 games over 2 years and Tallas played 12 games during the 00-01 year.
You can win a bunch of games while sucking. Martin Jones went 27-13 last year with an .887 sv%.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
You can win a bunch of games while sucking. Martin Jones went 27-13 last year with an .887 sv%.

Huet was average his 1st year than he took a dip in his 2nd.

He was no where near as bad as soda. Not even in the same ball park.

Not worse I guess, but Turco tried his best to be in the ballpark.

Turco was washed. But like you said, not as bad as soda.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Soderblum will be 25 in August and he hasn't shown any improvement on a consistent basis. I hope Davidson isn't counting on him being anything but a mediocre backup goalie at best or an AHLer for life....Another question: .does this reflect how bad the other goalies in the system are?

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Might not hurt to bring in a cap dump goalie as a 3rd (for maybe a 2nd rd pick) since Sodeblom has been inconsistent and Mrazek is injury prone.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Not even close.

Cristobal Huet had a -16.7 GSAA in 2009-10. Soderblom was -18.2 this year. Huet was absolutely terrible in 2009-10 for CHI.

Cam Ward was -14.1 in his lone year here and Turco wad dreadful his one year here too at -16.7.

People are definitely shitting on Soderblom a bit too hard right now. He wasn't good at all but there was absolutely no insulation for him. The dude would give up a bad goal and it's not like the team around him could lock it down and support him. No, instead he'd instantly face a 2-on-1, or a breakaway or a backdoor chance and now the bad goal is compounded if he's scored on again. It's tough mentally, especially when you're trying to prove yourself in the league and establish yourself.

Hopefully he can reset in the summer and the team can play with the puck a bit more next year.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Cristobal Huet had a -16.7 GSAA in 2009-10. Soderblom was -18.2 this year. Huet was absolutely terrible in 2009-10 for CHI.

Cam Ward was -14.1 in his lone year here and Turco wad dreadful his one year here too at -16.7.

People are definitely shitting on Soderblom a bit too hard right now. He wasn't good at all but there was absolutely no insulation for him. The dude would give up a bad goal and it's not like the team around him could lock it down and support him. No, instead he'd instantly face a 2-on-1, or a breakaway or a backdoor chance and now the bad goal is compounded if he's scored on again. It's tough mentally, especially when you're trying to prove yourself in the league and establish yourself.

Hopefully he can reset in the summer and the team can play with the puck a bit more next year.

So soda is the worst of the 4 you mentioned... Exactly.

Mrazek played behind the same team. He played a lot more. He was a top 3 player for us all year with Bedard and Vlasic.

The problem with soda is he let in random wrist shots way too often. Just random wrist shots would go in. That happened on a gamely basis with him. He was good for a bad goal or 2 in 90% of his starts.

He can "reset" in the AHL next year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Mrazek played behind the same team. He played a lot more. He was a top 3 player for us all year with Bedard and Vlasic.

The problem with soda is he let in random wrist shots way too often. Just random wrist shots would go in. That happened on a gamely basis with him. He was good for a bad goal or 2 in 90% of his starts.

It's not significant enough of a gap though from how bad Huet was from 1 end the team being a Stanley cup champion team vs 2nd wost team in the league. The Ward/Turco years those were bubble/wildcard teams either way. But Huet let in just weak wrist shots all the time too. Yeah, Neimi played well on that team too, but any goalie should of been able too.

There's no reason to care or bring him back to the NHL, unless you really are desperate to tank. And I don't even want to go that far.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Name me a worse goalie that has played for this team since 1993. Has had to have played at least 20 games during a season.
colin delia, but not because of his on ice play but because of that stupid minions mask.
edit: he played 16 games in 18-19 so i’m unilaterally allowing this to count.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Yeah man, it was a real big gap.

Corey Crawford was -20.2 GSAA in 2011-12 btw.

Soderblom was good for consistent bad goals. But as I already said, I think it's more mental than anything else. He couldn't build himself up because the team was trash around him. He was very clearly frustrated most of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad