WC: Artyukhin: Prepare for Glory

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Pretty surprised that Artyukhin isn't gonna be suspended for that hit on Michalek, it was clearly an extremely dirty hit by a very dirty player. It was a pure blindside headshot to a guy who never even came remotely close to touching the puck, that is as "intent to injure" as it gets, especially in international hockey where no headshots of any kind are allowed.

Everyone here hates Matt Cooke, but at least he reserves his headshots for guys who actually have the puck, I don't think even trash like Matt Cooke has ever gone out and targeted a head of a guy who wasn't even close to being involved in the play like Artyukhin did to Michalek. I literally challenge you to find a single intentional headshot (no Steckel on Crosby accidents) in the NHL this season that was as far away from the play as this, they essentially do not exist because at least NHL players have some class and respect, while Artyukhin is the worst form of trash.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Checks to the head are perfectly fine, if you're admiring your fancy new skates/perfect pass/tremendous shot/or what ever else you might have down there.

the rules are here: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/rulebook2010/Rulebook_52_101_-_30_September.pdf

I agree though that Arty was there to hurt people not to play ice hockey but that's on Bykov. Seriously - it was Bykov's decision to try to turn the game around using Arty.

Let's just see if any of the teams are able to turn the heat on Arty. If that happens, he'll take majors - rest assured.
Any actual targeting of the head specifically is illegal though, blindside or not, and Artyukhin clearly targeted nothing but Michalek's head, and even worse did it from the blindside, and very far away from the puck when Michalek was not even a part of the play, pure intent to injure. An amazingly gutless move showing a complete lack of respect or any sort of class.

By IIHF rules any targeting of the head (and not just a normal hit where head contact was incidental) where the guy who got hit gets injured is an automatic match penalty (5 minute major + player straight to the dressing room), with supplemental discipline to follow. This was even worse than a normal headshot that causes injury, since it was blindside and to a player that was away from the play, I really cannot think of any reason that this guy isn't suspended except for Russians being on the board that makes the decisions.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Any actual targeting of the head specifically is illegal though, blindside or not, and Artyukhin clearly targeted nothing but Michalek's head, and even worse did it from the blindside, and very far away from the puck when Michalek was not even a part of the play, pure intent to injure. An amazingly gutless move showing a complete lack of respect or any sort of class.

By IIHF rules any targeting of the head (and not just a normal hit where head contact was incidental) where the guy who got hit gets injured is an automatic match penalty (5 minute major + player straight to the dressing room), with supplemental discipline to follow. This was even worse than a normal headshot that causes injury, since it was blindside and to a player that was away from the play, I really cannot think of any reason that this guy isn't suspended except for Russians being on the board that makes the decisions.

Huh. Seriously ?

Read the link I gave once more and with a thought. Then come back again.

We can argue about the hits to the head until we both turn blue but I thought Artyukhin's hits were basically sound - outside that ridiculous Michalek headhunting.

I would have given a major for Arty and suspension for Bylls ...pardon me... Bykov - And your call was 5+25 ?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
canada has more open ice hitters than russia does, if they wanna play dirty it won't end well

I bet artyhkin wont play dirty at start atleast against Canada. He didint even go dirty against Finland. He was constantly on ice with same time tuomo ruutu, and i think he was feeling the possible revenge. When Canada has lots of "tough guys" if you willl / open ice hitters, i feel artyhukin wont start to play that dirty because if he will he'll be hunted down.. Funny when he went in the crease, he got four players after him shaking and punching him and throwing him away from there by the whistle. He was somehwat marked out there and didint start to play dirty. Thats why i think against Canada the change of him going really dirty is small.

Unless Russia is losing and the coach tells him to.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
I guess this is the only way to distroy the pig. :) in all seariousness I think he was the best player for russia against us.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole

- Artyuhkin is not a dirty player
- He wasnt afraid of Ruutu or any finnish player
- Artyuhkin will gain of playing vs ppl who are ready to get hit
- Yes he was "marked" down but thats why he got Finland a penalty without doing anything cuz he knew Finland would react (if you call that a reaction lol)

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
- Yes he was "marked" down but thats why he got Finland a penalty without doing anything cuz he knew Finland would react (if you call that a reaction lol)

Ofcourse but he didnt yearn a peanlty, he went for our goalie after wistle and it was the right thing for lajunen to take him out. In reality it should have been a atrjuchin penalty or a penalty for both so he was lucky there. We have no problem with hits as some of our players said it gets you better in the game. And as I already said he played fine against us.

A team like sweden will have a tough time handling him if they meet.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
:laugh: Really?

He is more than often just head hunting on the ice. Remember Viuhkola case? Peltonen case? and those are just few examples.

He played great 1st period against Finland and if he could play like that all the time he would be amazing player but everybody knows that's not the case.

Every player should be checking when that human truck is on the ice... just keeping your head up and passing the puck quick if you're afraid of getting clocked but in some cases even that doesn't help if R2 is in insane mode.

Vladiator16*

I think Zhenya wants to play for Vityaz

PS: Finns are a tough bunch, i didnt see much whining, unlike Czechs...

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
R2 played good game against Finland. 7 hits and Russias first goal was started of his check on Vaananen, he got assists on that.
With the minutes he got, not a bad game. Did what he does best with the big hits he gave.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It annoys the hell out of me that players don't strap their helmets on properly.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Huh. Seriously ?

Read the link I gave once more and with a thought. Then come back again.

We can argue about the hits to the head until we both turn blue but I thought Artyukhin's hits were basically sound - outside that ridiculous Michalek headhunting.

I would have given a major for Arty and suspension for Bylls ...pardon me... Bykov - And your call was 5+25 ?
I never argued anything about the other hits in the game, which were hard but clean, just the Michalek hit, which was ridiculously dirty.

I read the link, it says what I said, that any headshot (where you clearly target the head, not incidental/unavoidable contact) that injures a player is an automatic 5 minute major and game misconduct, and a potential suspension. The fact that it was a pure intent to injure hit, from the blindside and straight to the head, way away from the play when Michalek was nowhere close to the puck, definitely means it should have been given a lengthy suspension IMO, nuts that he got nothing for it.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Its strange how people are still SO mad at artyukin.. I know the hit on michalec was dirty and he should have been suspended because the victim wasn't even near to puck.. But its not artyhukins own fault that he wasnt suspended in general. I understand the hate from checz of course.. But again last game against Finland he played tough, but fair. He wasnt the criminal on ice that everyone was waiting him to be.

He seems to be a dirty player, but i think this is not like "something that dirty what hockey never has seen"

Last edited:

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic
Its strange how people are still SO mad at artyukin.. I know the hit on michalec was dirty and he should have been suspended because the victim wasn't even near to puck.. But its not artyhukins own fault that he wasnt suspended in general. I understand the hate from checz of course.. But again last game against Finland he played tough, but fair. He wasnt the criminal on ice that everyone was waiting him to be.

Maybe it is because he doesn't consider Finns as bad people unlike Czechs, Americans and Canadians :D

Fulcrum

Just out of curiosity, who on the Canadian roster would "take care" of Artyukhin if he acts up?

I think he'll be smarter than that and play hockey with an occasional 'in your face' hit, but still ^^?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Maybe it is because he doesn't consider Finns as bad people unlike Czechs, Americans and Canadians :D

Well finland and russia aint haters for eachothers, but i could make a bet we aint their favourite country. The fact that we wont them on Russian Victory's Day wont make them love us more :D

Fulcrum

Apart from Ruutu, more or less, Finns aren't dirty players. I remember Russian commentators being very impressed with Granlund. And Leo Kamarov (with his Russian last name). Don't think there is much hate for Finns at all.

Now the Czechs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad