WC: Artyukhin: Prepare for Glory

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Calling Artyukhin's hit to Michalek "clean" is a very dangerous move by the IIHF, especially considering that it is no clean according to the rulesbook they themselves use.
There is imho too much buzz around Artyukhin (Rachunek's hit was probably charging, but if he fastened his helmet no one would talk about it anymore), but still I'd also like to see more hockey and less goonery, especially from our team, which is having a terrible tournament, mostly due to the lack of discipline.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
He laid a malicious, intent to injure, blindside headshot on Michalek when Michalek was nowhere even remotely close to the puck, that hit was worse than pretty much any headshot I've seen in the NHL, and it was laid in an international tourney where all headshots are illegal, and where the dirty play is traditionally on the low side.

Checks to the head are perfectly fine, if you're admiring your fancy new skates/perfect pass/tremendous shot/or what ever else you might have down there.

the rules are here: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/rulebook2010/Rulebook_52_101_-_30_September.pdf

I agree though that Arty was there to hurt people not to play ice hockey but that's on Bykov. Seriously - it was Bykov's decision to try to turn the game around using Arty.

Let's just see if any of the teams are able to turn the heat on Arty. If that happens, he'll take majors - rest assured.

happysquirrel

May 9, 2011
He takes in count to eliminate his opponents even from the game and is laughing at it.

I don't get the laughing part. I think he is just playing the way he is told to play. It doesn't look to me like he is enjoying the results that much. It looks to me more like he feels uneasy about it.

In the end I don't think we should talk about the way some certain player plays. If the refs and IIHF tell that it's ok to play that way, then of course he should play that way, because he is very talented in playing that way.

If there's an outcry to be had, IMO it should not be targeted towards the player in question or team Russia, but IIHF.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Checks to the head are perfectly fine, if you're admiring your fancy new skates/perfect pass/tremendous shot/or what ever else you might have down there.

the rules are here: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_...s described under articles a) and b).[/quote]

striker333

May 18, 2010
Too many whinning in this thread, all hits were ok except the one on mihalik. The majority of Czechs are soft and dirty players. They always try to provoke the opponent with their cheap shots and so on. Mihalek said smt to Artyuhin before the hit, probably trying to provoke him.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
...not by the same IIHF rules you just linked:
Addendum 6:

If the checking player is maintaining his position in the normal manner as a part
of the game while the opposing player is approaching him, his check will not be
considered as "checking to the head" unless the points listed in #3 or #4 above
apply.

Addendum's three and four you can read yourself. Those are basically high hits, jumping, and so fourth.

PS. Sorry, I didn't to want come off as an a-hole but there's a difference if guys are playing hockey or just to trying to hurt someone.

Last edited:

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009
Too many whinning in this thread, all hits were ok except the one on mihalik. The majority of Czechs are soft and dirty players. They always try to provoke the opponent with their cheap shots and so on. Mihalek said smt to Artyuhin before the hit, probably trying to provoke him.

Took me a while but could not find that part from the rulebook where they say that when someone provoke you on the ice you can hit them to head and get away from it by minor penalty....

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic

Finally we have a solution. Czechs are soft and dirty players constantly doing cheapshots - all in one. Michalek deserved that because he was provoking Artyukhin. Nice one, sir :sarcasm:

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
The bigger they are the harder they fall. He is a big SOB but better keep your head up today Arty. We don't have anyone to give him fisticuffs but nice elbow to the face will do it. Ruutu or Komarov I suppose...

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Two good hits on Rachunek, but the one on Michalek was really dirty. Apparent intent to injure and eliminate the player from the game.

Too bad, Arthukin could be much better player if he played under a proper coach. Russians were badly outplayed, so they needed to do something, but the hit on Michalek has no place in hockey IMHO.

happysquirrel

May 9, 2011
The bigger they are the harder they fall. He is a big SOB but better keep your head up today Arty. We don't have anyone to give him fisticuffs but nice elbow to the face will do it. Ruutu or Komarov I suppose...

Both are too important to be lost for a GM. It would be better if we would just play as usual and pray that it's he who takes the GM and penalties instead. I am sure the refs are keeping an eye on him because of the media attention.

When you can't match your opponent in pure power, you need to outmatch him with your wits.

cibtom

:(
May 27, 2006
Tampere

Yevgeni, is that you? :sarcasm:

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Addendum 6:

If the checking player is maintaining his position in the normal manner as a part
of the game while the opposing player is approaching him, his check will not be
considered as "checking to the head" unless the points listed in #3 or #4 above
apply.

Addendum's three and four you can read yourself. Those are basically high hits, jumping, and so fourth.

...Except Artyukhin was not "maintaining his position in a normal manner" when he hit Michalek...he actively hit him.

That addendum is meant to protect players from being penalized while more or less standing skill or gliding who are skated into by players who hit their heads on some part of that player's body.

It is NOT meant to defend hits that would otherwise be illegal.

Let's try this again:
1)Artyukhin lines up Michalek, clearly looking at him as contact approaches
168vdav.jpg

2)Artyukhin steps into the hit, indicating that he is initiating the contact, not Michalek
21ou9ok.jpg

3)Principal contact to the head and neck area from Artyukhin's shoulder
2uh7shz.jpg

4)Michalek's head is predictably driven back
11j7k0x.jpg

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
...Except Artyukhin was not "maintaining his position in a normal manner" when he hit Michalek...he actively hit him.

]

So we agree on all accounts. The Michalek hit was outside off the play. Personally I would have given Arty a fiver for roughing for that mockery of ice hockey. You should be and will be able to handle this short of goonery. Game on guys ?

klikkar

Apr 30, 2009
Brno
oh well, its official :facepalm:

http://www.iihf.com/channels-11/iih...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=4926&cHash=36593fbc63
BRATISLAVA РThe directorate chairman of the 2011 IIHF World Championship, IIHF President Ren̩ Fasel, called on Monday at noon for the disciplinary panel to review the situation involving Russian player Yevgeni Artyukhin and Czech player Milan Michalek.

Michalek was injured following Artyukhin’s check in the game between the Czech Republic and Russia (3-2) on Sunday, May 8. On the play Artyukhin was assessed a two-minute interference penalty.

Upon further review the disciplinary panel decided not to issue any further supplementary disciplinary action.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
Arty and his power balance bracelet:

img-1288454316452.jpeg

Wow, nice find spotting that. I guess those things really work then. They give you strength and speed but your intelligence level will get significantly lower than an average human being meanwhile.

Madude

Jan 25, 2011
Wow, nice find spotting that. I guess those things really work then. They give you strength and speed but your intelligence level will get significantly lower than an average human being meanwhile.

Lol you know that Teemu Selänne wears one too, right? I'd choose my words more carefully when it comes to superstitious items.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
He's a Russian machine that never breaks. Yes the hit on Michalek was dirty but the crying and the hype around him is beyond ridiculous. His job is to finish his checks and that's exactly what he does. He's hardly the first player who plays on the edge and at this point he's a good little boy scout compared to Messier for example who was dirty as hell at times. Times have changed though so every damn hard hit is a major controversy these days.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So whats power balance? I could as well google, but i think at HFboards i will get more accurate information. I think reading "powerbalance.com" commercials wont be best info about how good and what is it :D

benr

Mar 7, 2011
So whats power balance? I could as well google, but i think at HFboards i will get more accurate information. I think reading "powerbalance.com" commercials wont be best info about how good and what is it :D

Its a piece of plastic that is enchanted with magic pretty much.

Its too bad Michalek got injured for being the only one on the team who has a chance at standing up to R2. He was pretty good for standing up for team mates in Ottawa too, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->