WC: Artyukhin: Prepare for Glory

Kire

Jan 21, 2008
Head/neck checking?

IIHF rule no. 540 sounds:

"540 – CHECKING TO THE HEAD AND NECK AREA.

a) A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body or equipment to the head and neck area of an opposing player or "drives" or "forces" the head of an opposing player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee a: - Minor penalty + Automatic Misconduct penalty (2’+10’) or - Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM) or - Match Penalty (MP)

b) A player who injures an opponent as result of checking to the Head and Neck Area

shall be assessed, a: - Match Penalty (MP)"

Artichoke vs. Michalek - head/neck checking or not? If yes, then should follow match penalty.
Artichoke vs. Rachunek - head/neck checking or body checking?

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Great loigic you have here. Artyukhin is 6'5 260 lbs. No one on czech team can beat him up. So basically you say, czech's next time bring up Koci, Ustrnul, Vopat and goon it up!

It's always the same with some people. When you're being hit by somebody your players can't deal with(Murray for example) you whine and cry when your 260 lbs guy runs around trying to injure players and provoking goalie he's a great guy.
It's called double standarts.

Frankly, I'm all against this type of play. This trash comes from Canada: they developed this style and they value it. We, Russians,
have historically preferred finesse, skills, mastery and teamplay and what we are witnessing here is more of a deviation rather than a sign of our new system. I think all these hits from Artyukhin were intended to psych up the team more than anything else. When the team plays well there's no need for resorting to such devices...

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Stop bashing Artyukhin. The overwheliming majority of hits he delivered against the Czechs were completely LEGAL. The only one he should never have made was on Michalek - that was bad, cause Michalek did not have the puck.
As for Rachunek, the ONE AND ONLY REASON why it all ended with blood and stiches is RAchunek's inability to fasten his helmet properly: had he done it, no one would be discussing it now, cause the hit was totally to the body, without charging and on the player who just released the puck (which is completely in compliance with the IIHF rules). So why whine so much???

He's not a dirty player, just a big one who does not seem to quite like the idea there are some other guys on the ice wearing skates other than him and his buddies:))

Look at distance travelled to make the hit on Rachunek and you will see it is clearly charging. You are correct that Rachunek likely would not have been injured had the helmet not come off, but a charge is still a charge and hockey worldwide needs to start drawing the line and enforcing it instead of officiating based on injuries only or taking the ridiculous "as long as he uses the shoulder and the player has/had the puck, we'll blindly say it's an OK hit", which completely ignores charging.

(IIHF)
Rule 522
[1] "Charging" shall mean the action of a player who, as a result of distance travelled violently checks an opponent. Charging may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or on open ice.

Even the NHL's own rules (which they don't enforce) say the same thing

(NHL)
Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

As for the 2nd part of your post, Artyukhin's performance in the NHL speaks for itself. He is a good hitter but he doesn't need to kill people out there to be effective, and he hasn't shown he's good at doing anything else (as a fighter those in his weight class would destroy him). He could be a big 2nd/3rd line power forward/grinder type but he hasn't shown the scoring touch because he is too frequently getting caught up in other aspects of the game rather than being a diligent forechecker and smart player.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I liked the fake glove drops before he cranked the guy who didn't have the puck in the head. Added a touch of clownery.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Great loigic you have here. Artyukhin is 6'5 260 lbs. No one on czech team can beat him up. So basically you say, czech's next time bring up Koci, Ustrnul, Vopat and goon it up!

It's always the same with some people. When you're being hit by somebody your players can't deal with(Murray for example) you whine and cry when your 260 lbs guy runs around trying to injure players and provoking goalie he's a great guy.
It's called double standarts.

I loved him @ SM-Liiga. He took a tie game fight with Sami Helenius, maybe even won the hit count.. We called him Swamp-monster in finland :handclap: :laugh:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
http://mshokej.ct24.cz/article.asp?article_id=11422

hope it will work for you ... time of the video 50sec +

you can see michalek far from puck, watching the pass and artyukhin killing him

I think that other hit was clean when he hit that guy after he had shot the puck... But the first one was really ugly, where he hit a guy who was nowhere near getting the puck or not even trying to get the puck.. so ofcourse he couldn't prepare for that kind of big hit. Came a bit from blindside and shoulder hit the head also. Cant say "head up" if you hit a guy that is nowhere near the puck.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I have issues sometimes w/ Czechs physical play, but whining about dirty hits is another story. Read reactions and comments through the years.. I dont see Czechs complaining about physical play... Pointing out cheap shots thats differn't.. It's hockey not MMA. Game should be played by the rules... If its not.. then a comment will and can be made.. Doesn't mean thats "whining".. Czechs take their hits and strap it back on and keep fighting. Czechs are one the toughest minded people as a whole in this tournament and in general. What they had to endure as a country through all the years is nothing BUT tough. And for Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic to be 3rd all time in history and very close i may add for totals behind Canada and Soviet Union / Russia with what they were going through... Thats what I CALL TOUGH my friend....And they never whined....

The "whining" comes from the others saying that its NOT dirty when its just as clear as the video lol.. For some of you to sit here and say that the Michalek hit isn't dirty and especially how it was done and why.. AND from the person it came from... Hmmmm. Dont really see a legit argument there. But of course trying to get under the skin and make it look like you guys are SO "tough" for saying its nothing. If that happend to your player you wouldn't be saying that hehehe.. But thats expected.. And as far as Canada being so physical and dominant... Funny how that worked last year against the Czechs (see below).. Funny how it reminds me of how a team can't control their emotions and are mad for getting beat lol:nod:.

I'm pleased to say that I have never witnessed undisciplined and dirty plays and never being "cry babies" from the Czechs after getting beat on and losing a game...

You want to see "Cry Babies" - How about Russia today and Canada last year for losing!! Thats a Cry Baby For you :nod:. Can't lose like a man... Nuff Said. Done.

True definition of "Cry Baby" LOL:nod:

The Czechs are known to be soft hockey players and also subtlety dirty. They often frustrate the opponent with their little cheap shots. You may not see it, but to the opponent players, it's enough to make them snap. Canada can handle loses well, we've lost many times to many countries, but somehow the Czechs always make them go crazy, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

I'm not saying that Artyukhin was all innocent, but not all of his hits were dirty. Czechs though see every hits as dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He laid a malicious, intent to injure, blindside headshot on Michalek when Michalek was nowhere even remotely close to the puck, that hit was worse than pretty much any headshot I've seen in the NHL, and it was laid in an international tourney where all headshots are illegal, and where the dirty play is traditionally on the low side. Good to see the Czechs keep their flawless record alive, while Russia continues their garbage play (regulation loses to Germany and the Czechs, barely squeaking by teams like Denmark).

As for Artyukhin in general, that Michalek hit is basically par for the course for him, seems like he has not matured at all from his Tampa days. I've seen enough of his slew foots, knee on knees, charges, hits to the head, etc. to know that he is just a bigger Matt Cooke with way less talent. Plus he's a goon who wears a visor but never takes it off in fights (even vs visorless opponents), which is about as pu$$y as it gets. I'd rather have Trevor Gillies on my team, who at least seems legitimately tough, not a dirty little rat who picks his spots like Artyukhin.

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
R2 is just a big bully on international level when he knows other teams don't have any enforcers or goons on their team and he is fighting non fighters or is asking them to drop the mits and he is bragging afterwards how tough he is shows what kind of a tool this thread is about.

In NHL he would get his ass kicked.

R2 is a good example how F up the international rules are or even in the NHL about the instigator rule...but still he wouldn't walk away with stuff like that (clean or not) in the NHL.

cibtom

:(
May 27, 2006
Tampere
Canada can handle loses well, we've lost many times to many countries, but somehow the Czechs always make them go crazy, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

Canada can't handle loses well (I mean in a good way, they simply want do win everything and no matter how). But if Canada lose against Czech Rep, their players are usually much more aggresive.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
As for Artyukhin in general, that Michalek hit is basically par for the course for him, seems like he has not matured at all from his Tampa days. I've seen enough of his slew foots, knee on knees, charges, hits to the head, etc. to know that he is just a bigger Matt Cooke with way less talent. Plus he's a goon who wears a visor but never takes it off in fights (even vs visorless opponents), which is about as pu$$y as it gets. I'd rather have Trevor Gillies on my team, who at least seems legitimately tough, not a dirty little rat who picks his spots like Artyukhin.

And he picks just non fighters. At EHT Rudi made huge hit, he went after salmela and koivu and watched ruutu kick hes team mates ass but didint challenge him: He knew if he actually challenged a litle tougher guy he would get hes as kicked. Hes a big baby. Probably trying to go against granlund or even some players girl friends @ next game :sarcasm:

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Artyukhin.

prepare+you+anus.jpg

klikkar

Apr 30, 2009
Brno
Still nothing official, but it looks like that the hit to the head of Michalek, who was nowhere near the puck, is clean hit, "because it was done with shoulder" according to the disciplinary commision :shakehead :facepalm:

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
The Czechs are known to be soft hockey players and also subtlety dirty. They often frustrate the opponent with their little cheap shots. You may not see it, but to the opponent players, it's enough to make them snap. Canada can handle loses well, we've lost many times to many countries, but somehow the Czechs always make them go crazy, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

I'm not saying that Artyukhin was all innocent, but not all of his hits were dirty. Czechs though see every hits as dirty.

I can't recall any game where the Czechs played dirty against Sweden. I am sure it has happened though as most nations probably has played dirty in the odd match but I can't say it's a trend with the Czechs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009
Some of those plays just shows that he has no respect to other team when he is on the ice. Im a fan of big hits but hey that hit on Michalek wasn't that too obvious? They had some talk just before the hit and funny why he hit him to the head?! Some people said that he had no intention to hurt Michalek, that's ********!

More blame goes to refs and to IIHF. They should take action, because if they don't things are just going to escalate even more and more people get hurt.

And no, im not saying this because Russians play against Finland tonight.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Canada can't handle loses well (I mean in a good way, they simply want do win everything and no matter how). But if Canada lose against Czech Rep, their players are usually much more aggresive.
Canada always has a scramble at the end of a game when they play against the Czech Republic. With other nations, it's sometime. There.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Seriously ???? :amazed: " removed comment about beating women", it was not as if I was condoning beating women so HOW was that offensive

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Still nothing official, but it looks like that the hit to the head of Michalek, who was nowhere near the puck, is clean hit, "because it was done with shoulder" according to the disciplinary commision :shakehead :facepalm:
That's a stupid answer, very NHL-like. Shoulder or not, nothing should touch the head.

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic
Statement by IIHF that hit on Michalek was clean is complete joke. Also Czechs are trying to find an ally in Finland in Artyukhin case :)

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Statement by IIHF that hit on Michalek was clean is complete joke. Also Czechs are trying to find an ally in Finland in Artyukhin case :)

It looked similar to Douglas Murray's hit on.....Russian X (I forgot who it was) in a recent WHC and he got suspended for it. They don't seem to be very consistent over at IIHF.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I really don't understand why some people here defend players like Artyukhin. Of course, ice hockey is a very physical sport and checks belong to it. But there is a difference between clear and fair hits and checks with no intention to injure the opponent player. But Artyukhin doesn't care if he checks his opponents dirty and on the head or neck and is additionally satisfied if his opponent is severely injured by his checks. He takes in count to eliminate his opponents even from the game and is laughing at it.

Players like him have nothing to lose in a national team in my opinion and they should be banned from international ice hockey or at least from the tournament after such dirty and unfair checks. Ice hockey should remain a fair game. Of course accidents can still happen even by fair checks and hits but then you just can call it bad luck and it belongs to the risk that every ice hockey player takes in count by exercising his sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad