Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Just saw some stats and it seems that 13 goals is way out of the norm for him. A big plus is that he plays the right side. On a 1 year ELC they are not on the hook for much. Well worth a look.

Is it true that they can't sign him until May 1?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm not expecting anything more than a decent bottom pairing defensive D with Zub, but he's young enough to be a part of the team's long-term future if he works out so it's a good signing.

We should let Boro go now that we've signed a similar player that plays at RD, but I doubt that happens. Probably go into next season with a D of:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Boro - Brannstrom
Wolanin - Zub
Reilly, Jaros

Not terrible.
Not good.

Reactions: Cosmix and Blotto71

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
3rd most ice time on his KHL team this year (Rundblad was first). 3rd in hits, 1st among hits by D on his team. 1st in blocked shots on his team. Nowhere close to the league lead in either though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Definitely need one of JBD and Thomson to pan out as a top 4 D to really solidify the back end. If one can be a #2, and the other a #3, we’re golden.
This team has always been able to find NHLish players. As soon as we have legit players they don't know what to do with them and give them away for next to nothing.

Reactions: Son of Petter

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There was an extensive write up on him yesterday in the Athletic for anyone that has access. Scott Wheeler broke down about 20 plays and talked about strengths and weaknesses.

He's young, mobile, aggessive, good first pass with the agressive bit resulting in him getting caught out of position on occasion with Wheeler noting he has the wheels to get himself back into position

Based on what i read, I'm thinking we get a lower end 2nd pair guy for a few years.

I'm not sure how the contract works. Guys have said he can only sign at the elc max. Given his age and already "pro" status, idk if the elc limit applies

We might come out of this with a DeMelo calibre player, the draft pick DeMelo returned and a couple less million in salary expenditure

Let's hope it works out, because this is the kind of move that this team needs to be good at to be successful.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Based on his age I do believe we would be a 1yr elc signing if I'm remembering the CBA correctly.

These KHL D signings usually seem to come in a tier lower than their hyped, so I expect a 3rd pairing D that plays top 4 for us since we don't have anything better and to justify the hype. Hopefully he doesn't get exposed too much if we sign him.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
There was an extensive write up on him yesterday in the Athletic for anyone that has access. Scott Wheeler broke down about 20 plays and talked about strengths and weaknesses.

He's young, mobile, aggessive, good first pass with the agressive bit resulting in him getting caught out of position on occasion with Wheeler noting he has the wheels to get himself back into position

Based on what i read, I'm thinking we get a lower end 2nd pair guy for a few years.

I'm not sure how the contract works. Guys have said he can only sign at the elc max. Given his age and already "pro" status, idk if the elc limit applies

We might come out of this with a DeMelo calibre player, the draft pick DeMelo returned and a couple less million in salary expenditure

Let's hope it works out, because this is the kind of move that this team needs to be good at to be successful.

From CapFriendly: NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year
Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully he comes in cheaper than what DeMelo would have signed for. IMO, you keep the player you know instead of the wildcard, but hey, that's me, what do I know.

The Senators are a low budget team because they operates in a small Canadian market. That leads to signings like this.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Rumours were DD wanted to be paid as the teams 2nd best DMAN with term. That sounds like a Z+ contract.

Hope the Sens have done a proper eval on Zub and are taking advantage of their contract room, cap freedom and opportunities for ice time. They need to hit on a few of these a season.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
From CapFriendly: NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year
Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

Cool. Thanks

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pierre McGuire on Zub

“He’s got good size and range,” NBC’s Pierre McGuire, who saw Zub play in South Korea, said in a text message Tuesday. “He plays a simple, smart defensive game, a stabilizing player in his own zone. He’s very solid, useful and mature player. He should be able to crack the top four and it shouldn’t be much of an adjustment for him to play on the small ice surface

Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Beautiful. Free asset who could be a safe bet as a serviceable defender, even at bottom pairing capacity.

All we need is Laf + another top 5 pick and 1 excellent free agency/trade and this would be an unfathomable dream off-season scenario.

Reactions: DJB

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I assume he's never played on small ice.

I have very low expectations in the short-term: the KHL is pretty bad compared to the NHL.

Reactions: Beville

h2

Mar 26, 2002
afp_zs37h-1.jpg

Zub looks like he's stepping on a Slovakian player's face here. Savage.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Sounds like a faster Chris Wideman

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
These "free wallets" very rarely work out well. I'm tempering my expectations for Zub.

Guessing we just added a 2nd Jaros. A physical defensive D who can play in a 5/6 role but isn't suitable for a top 4 role for a long stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->