Arturs Kulda

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Telegin is the one that probably had the least chance of sticking around.

Given he played very well with Scheif in Barrie, why not offer him a one year deal and see if that can be replicated?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Telegin is the one that probably had the least chance of sticking around.

Given he played very well with Scheif in Barrie, why not offer him a one year deal and see if that can be replicated?

Ahh I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding regarding him then. He unlike Burmie was under contract to the Jets at the time of his departure. They really didn't have to offer him anything as he was already signed. He just decided he wanted to go home for who knows what reason and breached his contract. It ended with the Jets agreeing to loan him to a KHL team. I think he's still signed and can come back for his third entry contract year next fall.

I do believe Kulda has a reason to be upset and maybe Chevy should have told Noel to see what he could do down the stretch. Not an easy situation for all involved for him to come in 3/4 through the year amid the Jets making a playoff push.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What do you think the Jets should have done about the Telegin situation? I am really curious. He was/still is under contract and the team was willing to invest resources to develop him. From what I gather they liked him as a prospect. He just upped and left in his second year. Not sure they really could have done things differently with him.

Maybe Kulda could have been handled better by Noel, but I don't think it was a massive failure either.

They should have let him rot. He had no rights as he was under contract to the Jets. He signed a contract to play for the Winnipeg Jets org and should have fulfilled that obligation.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
They should have let him rot. He had no rights as he was under contract to the Jets. He signed a contract to play for the Winnipeg Jets org and should have fulfilled that obligation.

Yep: I was a big Telegin fan, and got to watch him a fair amount live. Was hoping he'd transition to the NHL - I didn't like how he handled the situation at all. :(

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Fair enough that was one avenue they could have taken. In the end he's still under contract to us and maybe he comes back next year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While it sucks, maybe its for the best that we weed out players that aren't fully committed to this org now. I think we are seeing in some instances why the Jets weigh character and work ethic very highly. At the end of the day if a player doesn't at all want to be a part of what we are building than I don't want them.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I remember around Xmas time Stuart, Ladd and Little saying numerous times in interviews 'something has to change'. Ladd, I thought, looked like a basket case of stress for that month or six weeks.

If I'm overblowing the situation with the coach, your minimizing it.

The situation with Telegin, Burmi, Kulda is bad karma all the way around. They are not going to go back to their home countries and say good things about us given their experiences. Kulda sounded especially bitter.

Giving Pavelec even more rope to hang himself makes the situation even more bizarre, because the other two, Kulda and Burmi, deserved contracts as much if not more than Pavelec.

Remember Burmi was pissed at the Jokinen situation, wondering why he was getting more ice when he was playing better. Jokinen, like Pavelec, is a Euro.

If the Jets want to hold up Pavelec as their prize euro recruit, well, all Jets fans are hooped.

I don't think Noel was the right fit for the team and maybe the players didn't buy into what he was selling but I don't think it was acrimonious between them. I don't think the players respected Noel the same way they seemingly respect Maurice. I view Noel's relationship with the players like this: he was kind of like the goofy Uncle who is always telling cheesy jokes and offering advice that you kinda know isn't quite right but you humour him and secretly wish that he would call it an early night so you could finish up this family visit and go out with your friends.

jetkarma*

They didn't let him rot in order to have a positive working relationship with the KHL and Russian hockey in general . Sometimes a favour is returned.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

He was sitting in Russia for 3 months doing anything. I think it was clear he wasn't coming back. Letting him rot any more wouldn't accomplish anythign I don't think. It could further exasperate the relationship between the KHL and the NHL and when it comes time to renew there agreement the KHL could refuse and it would be open season on any Russian NHL player contract or not.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
They didn't let him rot in order to have a positive working relationship with the KHL and Russian hockey in general . Sometimes a favour is returned.

agreed completely.

The idea that you can "let him rot" is bullocks now. Its shooting yourself in the foot.

The reality of the hockey landscape is that russian players have options now. GM's can be flexible, offer contracts knowing the risk, and deal with it, or they can continue to try and treat players like servants and lose out on them.

Yah i agree i'd have LOVED for Telegin to stay in ST johns and help the team, maybe even develop into a jet. But if it's between "letting him rot" or allowing him to go home, play some games, develop some more, and maintain his rights....well one of them benefits both parties, one of them harms both.

Is it ****** telegin did that? Yes. Is it better to have telegin as an asset playing games in russia or not at all? I'd say playing games.

As long as the KHL offers a place for them to play, russian players have more leverage then NA ones. GM's have to recogonize that and factor it into their decisions and negotiations. You can't just ignore it and try to treat them the same, or your going to be wasting assets in the name of spite.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He was sitting in Russia for 3 months doing anything. I think it was clear he wasn't coming back. Letting him rot any more wouldn't accomplish anythign I don't think. It could further exasperate the relationship between the KHL and the NHL and when it comes time to renew there agreement the KHL could refuse and it would be open season on any Russian NHL player contract or not.

Works both ways though. In reality although the press here was more focused on the loss of Radulov, compared to KHL's losses of Malkin, Voynov, Grabovski, Kulemin, Anisimov, Kulikov, etc, etc in days before the agreement were more severe. The KHL needs the agreement more than the NHL right now, although the NHL does find it more convenient I think.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
I find the timing of giving Telegin permission to play in the KHL interesting... It was, like 2 days after PoMo was brought on... I think that they must have some sort of end game in mind.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I love it if we could draft Edgars Kulda in one of the later rounds.

As an added bonus, maybe he could lure his brother back as well.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I find the timing of giving Telegin permission to play in the KHL interesting... It was, like 2 days after PoMo was brought on... I think that they must have some sort of end game in mind.

What I find more interesting is the fact Telegin never actually played a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad