Arturs Kulda

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Kulda is at best our Pardy replacement. Our #8 Dman, that is on a very cheap contract. Maybe he can make more money over in the K?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I disagree he's our third best lhd in our system and a perfect Stuart replacement.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maybe, maybe not. Stuart is still on contract, trouba needs to be up. There just isn't room for him until after the roster limit disappears. He probably would've been claimed. Doing it this way allows them to trade Stuart or pardy at the deadline. Who knows.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wasn't any room for him, we have 9 or 10 NHL or near NHL caliber defencemen not including him, St John's D is looking pretty good, don't want to take ice time away from players like Kichton and Redmond who need to develop their game. If he's too good/would take away time in the AHL, and there's no space for him in the NHL, he should be in the KHL. No real mystery here. I think he's NHL ready but there just isn't any space for him and he has no trade value.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Wasn't any room for him, we have 9 or 10 NHL or near NHL caliber defencemen not including him, St John's D is looking pretty good, don't want to take ice time away from players like Kichton and Redmond who need to develop their game. If he's too good/would take away time in the AHL, and there's no space for him in the NHL, he should be in the KHL. No real mystery here. I think he's NHL ready but there just isn't any space for him and he has no trade value.

That's true but you can absolutely debate about Kulda maybe being more useful for our current situation than Postma.

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Kulda Trouba
Stuart

is IMO better balanced and has more upside than

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Stuart Trouba
Postma

And I think a lot of people here would have prefered Kulda over Postma and/or Stuart, too. I'm not saying it's a fact or something... but we just never got a real chance to see what he can bring to the lineup on a daily basis... why? That's still a little mystery for me.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's true but you can absolutely debate about Kulda maybe being more useful for our current situation than Postma.

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Kulda Trouba
Stuart

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Stuart Trouba
Postma

And I think a lot of people here would have prefered Kulda over Postma and/or Stuart, too. I'm not saying it's a fact or something... but we just never got a real chance to see what he can bring to the lineup on a daily basis... why? That's still a little mystery for me.

I agree. There is a real mystery with this player and I don't know what it is. What our D corps lacks, IMHO is a guy just like Kulda. A guy who is defense first focused, but young and mobile enough to do something about it. Not flashy, not fancy. Good position, separates players from the puck and then gets it up to the forwards.

I think Redmond might end up being that guy, but I think Kulda could be that player today. Problem is, he doesn't have the NHL games to prove it. He'll never get them at this rate.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
Kulda has played 15 games in the NHL and yet some of you guys think he's some hot prospect.

Spencer Machacek 2.0

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kulda has played 15 games in the NHL and yet some of you guys think he's some hot prospect.

Spencer Machacek 2.0

I think it's far too early to call him Machacek. Defensemen develop a lot slower than forwards. Besides, the skillset a defenseman needs to play the role suited for Kulda is far easier to learn than what Machacek needed to be an effective bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

Kulda has the size, the defensive awareness and good enough agility to be a nice shutdown defenseman. All he needs is experience.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
I think it's far too early to call him Machacek. Defensemen develop a lot slower than forwards. Besides, the skillset a defenseman needs to play the role suited for Kulda is far easier to learn than what Machacek needed to be an effective bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

Kulda has the size, the defensive awareness and good enough agility to be a nice shutdown defenseman. All he needs is experience.

the guy is 25 yrs old. If he was that good he would have been picked up on waivers a couple yrs ago or traded to a team that wants him. Everyone is upset about Burmistrov but here we have kulda not signing a contract before training camp and bolting to the khl but no one seems upset about that.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Spencer Machacek 2.0

Wut?

That's it actually: He's not a prospect anymore. If we want to use him (and we COULD use him) we should start doing it because he's not 21 anymore. He is a player that could help us this year, I'm not even talking long-term. Maybe we'd not even need him long-term.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Kulda Trouba
Stuart

Enström Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Stuart Trouba
Postma

Postma already had a contract, so in this scenario would you lose Postma to waivers or trade him? I'd prefer Kulda over Postma too but fact is all of our other D-men already had a contract and Kulda didn't. He's still our property and he'll develop as a top 4 D-man in the KHL rather than play a #6 role on the Jets and force our hand into moving somebody or a top D-man in a lesser AHL league that he probably won't learn anything more from and take time away from prospects who need it. Seems like the right move to me.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Postma already had a contract, so in this scenario would you lose Postma to waivers or trade him? I'd prefer Kulda over Postma too but fact is all of our other D-men already had a contract and Kulda didn't. He's still our property and he'll develop as a top 4 D-man in the KHL rather than play a #6 role on the Jets and force our hand into moving somebody or a top D-man in a lesser AHL league that he probably won't learn anything more from and take time away from prospects who need it. Seems like the right move to me.

I would have dealt Postma at last years trade deadline because we have Trouba, Redmond which are Postma but twice as good combined in one player. We don't have a Kulda. We have enough Postmas.

But I can see why people have a different opinion about this.

*edit*

... that's why I was pretty vocal a couple of days ago while Urbom was on waivers. He's a defensively sound, physical, young LHD with decent size.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
the guy is 25 yrs old. If he was that good he would have been picked up on waivers a couple yrs ago or traded to a team that wants him. Everyone is upset about Burmistrov but here we have kulda not signing a contract before training camp and bolting to the khl but no one seems upset about that.

The whole "if he's so good why wasn't he picked up on waivers?" argument is silly. Sometimes teams have players that are valuable that nobody else knows about, sometimes everybody's top 6 is set and there's no reason to have a 22-23 year old as a 7th d-man not developing and then if you put him back on waivers to go to your farm team his old team would just immediately snatch him up again. There's a million reasons that he might have not been picked up and hidden gems emerge all the time.

Also Kulda was reportedly not offered a contract before training camp, presumably because the team agreed that the best place for him would be the KHL, for all the reasons that I mentioned in previous posts.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I would have dealt Postma at last years trade deadline because we have Trouba, Redmond which are Postma but twice as good combined in one player. We don't have a Kulda. We have enough Postmas.

But I can see why people have a different opinion about this.

*edit*

... that's why I was pretty vocal a couple of days ago while Urbom was on waivers. He's a defensively sound, physical, young LHD with decent size.

Yeah, honestly I'm definitely of the opinion that we should trade Postma if there's interest, but I can understand where management is coming from not wanting to. It's debatable no matter what you do in this situation.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yeah, honestly I'm definitely of the opinion that we should trade Postma if there's interest, but I can understand where management is coming from not wanting to. It's debatable no matter what you do in this situation.

That's it. And I think they went the safer route with holding on Postma and not going with Kulda. But the other one would have had more upside, IMO.

The thing is: How can you help yourself making this decision? By playing both enough to know what the options look like. The Jets just haven't done this with Kulda, IMO.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
Wut?

That's it actually: He's not a prospect anymore. If we want to use him (and we COULD use him) we should start doing it because he's not 21 anymore. He is a player that could help us this year, I'm not even talking long-term. Maybe we'd not even need him long-term.

I don't consider him a prospect but this board does.
However i believe we DONT NEED to use him.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
The whole "if he's so good why wasn't he picked up on waivers?" argument is silly. Sometimes teams have players that are valuable that nobody else knows about, sometimes everybody's top 6 is set and there's no reason to have a 22-23 year old as a 7th d-man not developing and then if you put him back on waivers to go to your farm team his old team would just immediately snatch him up again. There's a million reasons that he might have not been picked up and hidden gems emerge all the time.

Also Kulda was reportedly not offered a contract before training camp, presumably because the team agreed that the best place for him would be the KHL, for all the reasons that I mentioned in previous posts.

Kulda had to have been offered a contact otherwise he would be a UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad